Mistress Review

manufacturer: Cole Clark date: 07/11/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Cole Clark: Mistress
The Mistress is a versatile instrument, with many available options. The Mistress is available with a sealed cavity body and also with cavity body with a soundhole (cat's eye or circular) with a grille matching the colour of the guitar?s hardware.
 8.3
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Mistress Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Features: The Mistress is a versatile instrument, with many available options. The Standard model is a double cutaway solid body with a separate plate top (all solid of course) and two humbucking pickups. Some of the choices are Queensland maple with a US rock maple top, blackwood with a bunya top, US rock maple with a blackwood top. There is a range of figured maple tops available also. You're probably getting the picture that we have some flexibility in manufacture here. Necks also come in different timbers, Queensland maple, US rock maple, blackwood etc. Strings are loaded through the back and the sustain is great. The Mistress is available with a sealed cavity body and also with cavity body with a soundhole (cat's eye or circular) with a grille matching the colour of the guitar's hardware. Yes, there are a lot of options, it's so you can choose. // 10

Sound: I play lots of types of music, from jazz and clasical right through to death metal. And this guitar can handle just about all of it with the right amps. The ability to Switch between single-coil and humbuckers is great and gives you so many more tones that you otherwise couldnt get. This guitar is very natural and smooth clean sounds and can sound bright or deep (or both) depending on how you have you pickups set. You can also get any kind of distortion sounds you want. However, one complaint I do have is that the bridge pickup can often sound very thin or lacking bass when playing clean with clean tones. And the neck pickup can be muddy with distortion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came from the factory very well set up and very solidly built, I look foward to having many gigs with it! I think the bridge pickup may be a tinny bit to high but that it easilt adjusted. The guitar has a set neck and the action was set up extremely well when I got it (it was even in tune when I got it out of the case). The body is queensland maple with a Australian ash top, the neck is blackwood with an Indian rosewood fingerboard. The finish is a great high gloss (and it really is a high gloss) transparent red that lets you see a great wood grain through it, the neck it a natural gloss finish but is a very nice darker wood. All in all a very well made guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar makes a great match for just about any kind of music, you can nail Strat, Tele, and Les Paul tones all with one guitar. As long as your amp is upto it this guitar will take you there. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now, but I had prior experience with other instruments (I play bass - 7 years and have played violin for about 12 years). If this guitar was stolen I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one. I love the finish and the tones this guitar is capable of. One thing I don't like about it is the pickup selector which is below the bridge, it goes from side to side, I find this hard to Switch quickly, I might move the Switch so it is up and down instead. I play this guitar through a Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue and a custom made "Silhouette" valve amp (hand built in Australia). Vibrato would be good though it is probably more trouble than its worth as I dont really use it much anyway, I think the trade off for more tuning stability is good. All in all this is a great guitar from a small manifacturer in Australia. Quality like this will really let them compete with the big companies. When I emailed the company to say how good I though the guitar was I recieved a reply from the owner/founder of the company and the very person who made this guitar! // 10

More Cole Clark reviews rating category latest review