EVL-Z6 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 02/07/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: EVL-Z6
The Cort EVL-Z6 was created as an alternative to the successful EVL-K6, but with a more traditional 'Les Paulish' singlecut design. The features remain modern, with a TonePros bridge, through-body stringing, Cort's unique concave forearm contour and a pair of EMG Active humbuckers.
 Features: 9.5
 8.6
 8.2
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
EVL-Z6 Reviewed by: Dark_Divinity, on february 07, 2007

Features: This is a guitar made in 2006. It has a 24.75 inch neck scale with 22 jumbo frets. It has a set neck, ebony fingerboard. Emg active 81 bridge pickup and 60 in the neck. It has non-locking tuners. It has a string thru body with a Tune-O-Matic bridge. the hardware is a dark grey that gives good contrast to the black coat. It has two volume and one tone controls, and the knobs have some little pentagrams on them just like the fingerboard inlays. At the 12th Fret there is a cross inlay. All of the inlays are pearl ablone. It came with .09-.49 strings which were decent but I changed them right away. The quality of this guitar is the best I have seen for the price. I compared it to Jacksons and ESPs in the same range and this took the prize with stuff like the ebony fingerboard, and the little extra details like the tone/volume knobs, and the truss rod cover that is metal with a cross on it. And the truss rod itself can actually be adjusted both ways to ensure neck adjustments. // 10

Sound: The sound produced by the emgs is great. I was going to go with passive like always have in the past but once I tried this out with a metal muff and a 212 at the store I knew they were the only way to go for those that love metal. The 81 gives a nice razor sounding tone with crystal clear highs and dynamic crunch on power chords. I have it tuned to B (BEADF#b) and there is no fret buzz. The 60 is great for cleans because of the thick chunk sound, but with a lot of distortion it is very hard to tell the difference in the notes sometimes. I play melodic death metal so the 81/60 combo works great for me because I like cleans, but if you are looking for a straight metal guitar, I would go with an LTD EC-1000 for the 81/85 shreading sound from both pickups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I honestly don't know how the factory setup was because right away I had the store put on some Dean markleys .11-.52s and tune it to B right away, but the action is set with the Tune-O-Matic. The guitar didn't contain any flaws and was ready to go in about 10 minutes of setting it up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has held up extremely fine for me while doing the 3 gigs that I have done. I spend most of my time in my studio and recording it has stood it's own. The hardware is great no problem there. I put straplocks on it right away so I don't know how the stock strap buttons are. // 10

Overall Impression: I play melodic death metal so the emg 81/60 pickup combination is one that I have fallen in love with. I would say that if you don't use cleans very much Cort does have the EVL-K6 with 81/85 and also has a floyd. I myself hate Tremolos so it wasn't for me. I love this guitar more than any other guitar I own or have owned. It had me Switch my mind from passive to active pickups. If it were lost or stolen I would hunt down the bastard and kill him or I would go buy a new one in a heartbeat because I couldnt live without it. // 10

EVL-Z6 Reviewed by: J C, on january 09, 2007

Features: The Cort EVL-Z6 is basically a metal head's Les Paul, but boy it has its perks. It features an Alder body with a 22 fret set-in maple neck and ebony fingerboard, with pentacle fret markers and a mother of pearl crucifix inlay at the 12th fret. The body has a satin finish, and comes in a dark grey/black colour. The pickups are double active EMG humbuckers, and it uses a Tone-Pros locking bridge, with the strings fed through the body. There's a seperate volume knob for each pickup with an additional tone knob, all engraved with pentacles and featuring O-rings on the circumfrence for better grip. The pickup selector is 3-way. And it has a coffin shaped truss rod cover engraved with a crucifix. Obviously the design of the guitar isn't going to suit everybody, but if that what you're into, you'll find it here. // 9

Sound: This guitar is set up for the metal player, so I guess the sound of the active pickups isnt too flexible. However, both the tone of the neck and bridge pickup work well with your Standard metal distortion and clean channel, and the set in neck allows for a shitload of sustain is you wanna keep that last chord ringing out. I've played it through my Peavey Rage 128 and a Marshall amp, and it's sounded pretty awesome through both. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As far as I can tell, the guitar has been made pretty well, with the only noticeable flaw a slight discoloration of the fretboard around the 15-20th fret region (whether it's just the colour of the wood or not, I don't know). It's made in Korea, not the best place to get your guitars from but certainly not the worst. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far, this guitar has been great. The strap buttons are definately big enough to keep the guitar attached when you're jumping around with it on stage. The only thing you'd need for a gig is an extra battery for the pickups, just in case (by the way, the battery case is on the back of the guitar, under the neck join). // 8

Overall Impression: For the music I'm into, this guitar has a great metal sound as well as a clean sound to boot. I've only had it for a few months but if it was stolen I'd be incredibly pissed. For the price I paid, the pickups are great and the thing I love te most about it is the satin finish, especially on the neck of the guitar, you can really play fast stuff fast because your hand just slides up and down the neck. Get one while you can. // 9

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014