G200 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 01/19/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: G200
Cort G200 is a strat type guitar, it's the cheapest in the G-series. Variety of sounds that you can make isn't big but the sounds are very bright and clean.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 7.5
reviews (5) 4 comments vote for this gear:
G200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2004

Purchased from: George's Music

Features: The Cort G200 I bought was made in India. It's a 2003 model with 22 frets and a wider neck. It is a laminated top and a mahogany neck. It's got a Strat body style with a string-thru body bridge and volume/tone control. Mine has Fender pickups but I upgaded it. It comes with 3 Cort pickups and non-locking Sperzel tuners. It comes with a gig bag, a strap, a cable, and an amp. // 8

Sound: It suits me perfect. I like metal, blues, and grunge. It sounds amazing when it's clean and awesome with distortion. The distortion is the best though. It sounds like Metallica's kind of distortion. I'm using a Stone amp with no effects. It has a library of sounds. I got it 8 months ago so I'm not just trying to hype it up either. The sound is rich and full. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was setup right and the pickups were adjusted fine. Everything was in place with no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will definetly stand live playing. The hardware is very reliable. The strap sucks but the strap buttons are solid and reliable. I would bring a backup to a gig but only because I think every guitarist should. The finish is there to stay and its a good guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, blues, jazz, rock, grunge and soft rock. I have been playing for about 7 months and I own an Ovation acoustic-elctric guitar also. I should have asked for a 24-fret model when I got it. If it were stolen I'd buy it again. I like the sound of it. It's crisp and rich. I don't like the style Switch. My favorite feature is the wide neck. I compared it to a Fender Squier but this is the same type of guitar for half the price. // 8

G200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 08, 2006

Purchased from: C Mark

Features: I bought it in a shop compiled pack that came with a Cort accessory pack (strap, picks, lead, polish + cloth, gig bag), and a Laney hardcore 20 watt amp. // 10

Sound: I play everything from rock to ska to metal to punk and it does a good job on all of them. The neck/middle setting is great for rhythm and the bridge does a good job at lead. There isn't a great deal of variety in sounds, but there are enough. With my small amp I can't get the greatest idea, but running it through my friends old Fender valve amp it sounds pretty sweet. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well when I bought it, though it goes flat past the 12th fret on the low strings. I got a gun metal grey finish on mine which looks awesome. It goes out of tune more easily than I would like and due to the trem bridge it needs to be tuned multiple times. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are solid but I prefer c-shape buttons which keep the strap on better. It's dependable and would do the business if I gigged with it. Seeing as it's my only guitar I would have to go without a backup, but a backup would be preferable. The finish is very tough and has bumped and scratched many times without bearing a single mark. The hardware is solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly punk, rock and a little metal and this does very well for its price. If it were stolen I would probably buy a higher up model in the same series. // 9

G200 Reviewed by: rainman1987, on january 06, 2007

Features: I think this in an 2005 model that sat in the shop for a while. It has a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard, with 22 medium frets. It is a Strat style solid body with a tobacco burst paint sceme, a white/black/white 3-ply pickguard, black pickups and knobs, and chrome hardware. It is has a Vintage Fender style trem bridge with a graphite nut at the other end. It has a Standard Strat pickup layout with 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 5-way selector. It has off-brand tuning keys but they work very well, they are very stiff so they hold their place. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of blues, classic rock, and funk style music. This guitar fit right into my style. I play with a Vamp pedal and a 10W studio amp and it sound quite nice. It's really clean when you want it to be and with the pedal you can out so nice distortion. It's outfited with nice pickups. It hits really nice bassy lows and treblely highs and anything inbetween. The tremolo bridge works great too. It stays in tune quite well. I am very satisfied with the quality sound this guitar puts out. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The shop that I go to really does a great job of setting up their guitars. The only thing that I didn't like was that the action was a little high for my taste. There were a couple minor nicks and dings that were probably caused by customers. This guitar, for being under $200, it built very, very well. Cort has always been known to build great guitars. The bolt-on neck is very ridgid and not elastic like most low priced guitars. This is the lowest priced guitar I have bought in my 4 years of playing but it is the best built out of the 4 guitars I have owned. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would be able to take on a Live show. It seems to be built very well and solid. The strap buttoms are firmly anchored into a solid basswood body. The finish looks to be very well done. I have heard of people droping Cort guitars and the finish not chipping, so it's gotta be good. // 8

Overall Impression: I am very impressed with this guitar. I have been playing for 4 years and this is the nicest guitar I have owned. I have owned a $350 Samick Avion (Les Paul) and a Vintage DeArmond S-65 (SG) and this Cort is better than the two of them. If it was stolen I would buy it again. I love the tremolo bridge, and the neck and headstock looks great. If I wanted to upgrade again, I would buy another Cort. // 10

G200 Reviewed by: tequila7474, on february 11, 2008

Features: I have bought this guitar in 2005, she is made in indonesia and I bought it in a Cort package with a strap, picks, lead, polish + cloth, gig bag, and a Laney hardcore 20 watt amp. It has a maple neck and a rosewood fretboard, with 22 medium frets.it's a solid body with a string-thru body bridge and volume/tone control. I have bought it with a red finish. it is a Full Action II bridge. it has Power Sound PSS-II/PSS-II/PSSS-II (S-S-S)pickups and it has die cast tuners. // 8

Sound: My music style is heavy metal it realy works well for the style but it was possible better. I first used it with a lany hardcore max 20 watt amp and that was a and that was a complete bad sound, but now I use a Vox 50 Watt amp and that sounds well. But as you play metal you better buy a ohter model this model is better for rock and bleus stuf. It's a bit noisy. And I can get a good Metallica sound with it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The shop did a nice jobe only tunning was necessary. The only bad thing about the guitar is the full action 2 bridge, it always go out of tune when I use it and that is already from the beginning and the volume button works bad to as you set the button quieter than you lose the distortion sound. The pickups were setup well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't now I never used it for Live preformance but I think it withstand Live playing. The hardware is made from good metirial. The strap buttons are fine. The finish wil last well. You I can depent on it except the full action 2 bridge that is realy bad, so I use wooth it on a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal and it is good but it was possible better. I better asked or there was one without the full action or with a better. As it was stolen I first gonna try to get it back differently I buy a better model. I love the neck and body and I hate the full action bridge. I wish it had better pickups and better bridge. // 8

G200 Reviewed by: Aszbaz, on january 19, 2009

Features: The guitar is actually a Cort G205, which is the same as the G200 except it has a maple neck. It was made in Indonesia, around 2003 - 2005 as that is the date when they were manufactured. The neck and fretboard is maple, and the body is some sort of unknown wood. the guitar itself is fairly light compared to others such as real strats, it has a Standard wilkinson chrome bridge, and a very dark blue greenish finish with clear coating on the top. The pickups are stock, and I will be changing them to Fender 62's. The only problem is that 62's are capable of a 5 way pickups selector and 2 tone controls, and this thing only has 4 positions and 1 ton and vol control, meaning I'll have to drill into the pickguard and add more parts. I can't use a prewired pickguard because the shape is different. The tuners are Standard chrome tuners, non locking and fairly annoying due to their small size and odd ovalish shape. I got this off a friend for 60 Who bought it from his cousin for 20. It came with a very high quality gig bag, a 10 watt BB Blaster starter amp, leads and whammy bar and picks. I'm assuming he bought most of the stuff seperatly, apart from the amp which probably came with it. Due to the 4 way pickup selector and not a 5 way and only one tone control, I have to rat it a five. But for the price it is brilliant. // 5

Sound: Alot of Standard Strat copies and strats suit my playing style, and this does perfectly. I play mainly alternative rock (Oasis, RHCP, Gorillaz, Coldplay, Stereophonics etc..) along with some rock, and punk rock like Greenday and Blink 182. It sounds crap through my amp, though through my friends Line 6 it sounds brilliant. I sometimes use wah wah with it, and the pickups give a nice, bright sound. I will be changing these to Fender 57/62's soon, just to give it a better sound due to the fact that it doesnt't sound deep/bassy/full enough and isnt perfect for punk rock. it deserves a solid 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar couldnt have been set up better, the action was perfect and strings were close to the fretboard without buzz, the neck was set up fine, and it only needed somevery minor adustments, though I'm the third person to own this guitar so I wouldn't know how it is new. The adjustments were only needed because my friend strung it incorrectly, and abused it so badly, it also needed a thorough cleaning. I oiled the fretboard and polished the frets with brasso to removed the oxide, this had never been done which was a pity on such a nice guitar. The pickups were set up properly, though the bridge springs werent slotter in correctly and the bridge needed adjusting. It had 4 springs. everything else was perfect, and the finish is durable and would survive years to come, though it has some minor grazing where my friend scraped it accross a wall and I need to sand the area off and relaquer it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't know if people are retarded enought to throw their guitars around on stage, because any guitar would withstand gigging if your not an idiot. It it very solidly built, though the body of the guitar is made from some sort of softer wood, teh hardware is bulletproof, the strap buttons are awkwardly placed and oversized meaning it's hard to put a strap on (lol strap on). they needed some tightening when I first got it, but they're good, I would never use any guitar Live without a backup, due to strings breaking and shit, and the finish will last for years and years without wearing off, though my friend damaged mine, and even so he only did minor damage and it just needed a quick touch up. the clear finish is very thick and would take a lot of work to tarnish. It would be a ten, if it wasn't for the strap buttons. // 8

Overall Impression: its perfect for my style, and I'm going to add better pickups to make it even better, I've ran it thru some good Fender amps, some starter amps and some Line 6 amps, and it sounds great thru nearly all of them. If it was lost or stolen and I could get one for the same price I did before I would buy it, but if your paying +/- 130 anyway, it's much better to go for a pacifica. I love the neck, the guitar stays in tune, and does what it's supposed to very well. The pain in the ass is the selector Switch and tone control, and I wish it had the Standard 2 tone and 5 way pickup selector so I could easily install new pickups. If your gonna pay around 130 GBP, just go for a pacifica, your be glad you did. But at 60, with accesories and a great gig bag, it was a bargain! I'm gonna be using it for the next 7 years or so with new pickups, and this thing would last a lot more. // 7

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014