G254 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 06/21/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: G254
It has a warm sound with the single coils and a heavy sound with the humbucker.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Features: 8.5
 8.2
 8.3
reviews (4) 8 comments vote for this gear:
G254 Reviewed by: Revalk, on november 24, 2006

Features: The Cort G-Series 254 is a very unique guitar in my opinion, particularly from Cort. First of all, I must specify the model I have, because I've played the others, and I didn't like them near as much. The model I have is an Orange satin colour, and has no pick guard. I don't think they make the Orange, but you can find an identical one in red or walnut. Some come with pickguards, but I find they are uncomfortable, and the tone selector is in a funny spot. Anyways, this guitar has 24 frets, a medium width neck, with a rosewood fingerboard, wilkinson bridge, one volume, one tone, and a 5 way tone switch, 2 single coils, and one humbucker, made by MightyMite, the tone knob can be pulled out to make the humbucker act like a single coil, giving you a very cool sound for some lead stuff, the tuners are non locking. Overall, as far as this type of guitar goes, I couldn't ask for too much more. The pickups aren't amazing, but have always sounded pretty great to me. The materials used for making this guitar seem to be of pretty high quality, and the feel is sleek in my opinion. I play all sorts of styles, and this guitar delivers for all of them. // 9

Sound: I play a huge variety of musical styles, ranging from blues, to ska, to rock, to metal. This guitar works for everything, in my opinion, though if you are a hardcore metal fan, it might not be quite the guitar for you. It can sound quite beautiful clean, with light to heavy distortion, or with the metal distortion, delay, and a phaser all combined at once. I've found there to be almost no extra noise from this guitar that aren't a result of the musician. There are slight buzzes you get when you have the tone selector combining two pickups (position 2 and 4, if you number them 1 to 5). However, this happens on pretty much every guitar I have ever played, and is nothing unusual. I've played this guitar on a variety of amps, and it's sounded good on all of them, with the exception of the amps that just weren't that high in quality. Generally, I put this guitar through a Fender M-80, and I the sounds is great. I've been able to get a great clean, palm-muted, lead, or rhythem sound out of this guitar, and to be honest, haven't found a song I've tried to play that I couldn't fiddle with the settings a little bit to find something similar. Overall, I think this guitar has a great sound and variety, and displays the quality of guitars that might cost you in the $500-1250 range. I've played this guitar for over 4 years, and have never had an issue finding a sound with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on this guitar is beatiful. It's so smooth, and has an interesting fade look to it, which slowly becomes shiny if you rub that area from playing, making every model of this guitar a little unique to the player Who owns it. The tuners, tone and volume knobs, and pickups are all of a platinum colour, giving it a very sleek look. When I bought this guitar, I was not looking for a flashy guitar, and it's not that flashy, but something about this guitar made me want it, and the look is a good mix between flashy, interesting, and unique, without looking fake or overdone. Overall, I love the look of this guitar. The action and fit of this song are also pretty well set up. I've heard some people comment that they thought the neck was a little wide, but that's the only negative thought I've heard about it, or felt. Personally, I prefer a medium width neck, and most of the people who've felt differently have been shredders, and therefore felt they needed the slimmer neck. Right out of the factory this guitar was pretty well set up as far as the bridge and pickups go, and other then some minor changes I've made for preference, I think this guitar is very well set up. The neck is a little more rounded across then most, but is a good balance between lead and rhythem. The only comment I would make is that the springs on my bridge wore out after a couple years, but they provided me with extras anyways when I bought it, so it wasn't a problem, and I believe you can get more pretty cheap. I don't know as much as most as far as the technicalities of a guitar go regarding action, pickups, and the bridge, but overall I've loved the feel and slickness of this guitar, and it's phyiscalities have never held me back as a guitarist. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd say this guitar is fairly reliable. I've played Live and recorded with this gutiar often enough, and have rarely worried about bringing a backup, however I have had the odd issue. For example, one time I was at practice and a wire attached to the volume knob came off, and had to be re-soldered. However, other then that, I've never really had an issue. My guitar has been with me for over 4 years of regular playing, and other then some dents and scratches, sounds like it did when I first got it. The finish is unique, as there is purposely no pick guard, but I've had no negative results. The finish is in fact what makes it interesting, as any place that gets worn just produces a natural shiny finish in that area as opposed to the normal fade. All together, other then the one incident, I've never had an issue, and can foresee this guitar lasting me years and years. // 7

Overall Impression: As said, I play almost every style of music, and this guitar has worked for me with all of it. I've been playing over 4 years, and play for at least half an hour a day. I own other guitars, and play bass and drums as well. Overall, this guitar suits every part of me and it's never failed me in the past. I've tried to find other guitars that would be better then this for me, and short of spending a few thousand dollars, have been unable to. If I was to lose this guitar somehow, I would probably either buy it again, or buy one of the few thousand dollar ones I've found that I thought might equal or surpass it. I love the sound, and I love the feel. I've played many guitars in guitar shops new, and many of my musical friend's well used guitars, and have found few I liked as much. I can't really think of anything I don't like about this guitar, and I encourage others to buy it. (Plus, it looks pretty sexy in the new red colour you can get it in). // 9

G254 Reviewed by: Dreek, on august 02, 2004

Purchased from: Limit musicshop

Features: - Made in 2004, Indonesia - 22 Frets / Thin neck - Solid top - Metallic Finish - Strat style - Wilkinson bridge - Passive electronics - Volume, Tone/Coil Tap, 5 way selector. - Singe Coil nek , Single Coil middle, Humbucker at bridge - Mighty Mite pickups // 8

Sound: I play rock (AC-DC), punk (Social Distortion, Distillers) and a bit of metal (Iron Maiden). The guitar sounds great, too bad my amp doesn't. It has a warm sound with the single coils, and a heavy sound with the humbucker. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was very nice, very nice finish. Nothing to add. It looks great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It looks like a good and durabel guitar never did a gig with it but I trust the guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: For playing rock, metal, punk it's a good guitar. So if you like to play allaround, this guitar will be good. And for the great price, you should buy 2. I'm loving this guitar so again, nothing to add. This guitar rocks my socks off. // 10

G254 Reviewed by: ravenrage07, on november 09, 2009

Features: I don't know what year it was made. Made in Indonesia though. I didn't but it, I tried it out for a guitar student I had and I thought it would be a great starter guitar and really is. It has a basswood body and maple neck (according to the shop owner). it's sort of like an offset Stratocaster shape wise. Passive mighty mite pickups, wilkinson tremolo. 1 volume, one tone knob. it's an HSS configuration. Tuners are non-locking probably just Cort brand economy tuners but are okay right now. // 10

Sound: It's very good for metal or basically anything else you would want it for. Remember this is a beginner budget guitar but it'll beat a Squier Strat easily. The pickups were nice in the shop but when I play them here they are just okay. Their nothing to phone home about. The bridge is not noisy at all, neck and middle have some hum to them but not too bad. Very good variety, sounds great in my opinion. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It was okay set up at the factory. The shop owner set up the guitar and it is okay. I mean I think he is a little on the cheap side work wise as the thing still has some string buzz and the pickups height wasn't adjusted. I'm not a tech but I know a crap set up when I see it. Guitar is okay overall. Not great stock wise but it had been sitting in his store forever. Had a few nicks and dents in it but he didn't discount it at all. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I don't know what to say about it because it's not my guitar so I wont be gigging with it. Personally I'd say bring a backup possibly. It might be okay, the strap buttons seem solid, the finish is already nicked so I don't know if it'll last but so long. it's very light so I imagine you could lose it easily if your not careful. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, it's a good match. I've been playing for around 6 or 7 years. I own a lot of guitars from Gibson, Fender, BC rich, and other brands. I wish that it had a proper setup, but that's okay. If it were stolen I think he'd buy another one but overall it's an okay guitar. Not as wowing once it was out of the shop but it's okay overall. // 7

G254 Reviewed by: Stalloyde, on june 21, 2011

Features: Made in Indonesia. The Cort G254 is a solid top guitar with a basswood body, bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It provides 22frets to play on. Uses MightyMite pickups and a Wilkinson VS50 II bridge, has a volume and tone control knob that runs with a 5 way selector switch. Loved the fretboard, it's smooth and easy to play on. However, I dislike is that the distance between two frets at higher positions are kinda small. It barely fits my fingers. Its body style does not seem to allow much room for the thumb to move freely at higher frets as well. Also, the guitar runs out of tune once you wank the tremolo bar. // 7

Sound: This guitar can play any genre of music. Rock, metal, blues, jazz. Single coil pickups do their jobs great. The humbuckers are a little bit weak though. Metal riffs just don't really sound heavy enough with 'em. I play it through my Roland microcube and it sounds great. Its versatile and very good for its price. In fact, the best I could find at my local guitar store. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar had buzzing sounds when I first had it. But guitar buzzes are no biggies and can be fixed easily. Tuning pegs were loose. And the wirings were loose as well. And it caused the pick. Good thing for me, the tech at the shop fixed things up pretty well. I expected more quality from Cort. This guitar loses out here. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Had this guitar for over a year now and it seems to be in good shape. It survived a few knocks and bumps. The paint is still perfect. I love how my fingerprints on its body seem to be invisible. I have no idea if it would last for a gig. But for a 3-4 song performance it would not be a problem. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is well worth its money. Great guitar for beginners like me. It may have its disadvantages but it feels awesome. I think it smokes any Ibanez or Squier of its price range. It sounds great, feels comfortable, and looks cool. I'll definitely be pissed as hell if it got stolen or lost but I would prefer a more rock/metal guitar next. // 8

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014