G290 Review

9.4
 7.6
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
G290 Reviewed by: INASKAxx, on april 24, 2008

Features: The 07 model, made in Korea. 22 medium size frets. Body is solid swamp Ash with a quilted maple top. The finish is Shawdow Blue Burst which looks grey with no light on it. It has Sperzel Trim-lock tuners, CFA III tremolo with active EMG pickups. There's 1 volume and 1 tone, with a 5 way pickup selector. // 9

Sound: I'm still getting the strings broken in so it still has that metal sound to it still. But it sounds great. It's very verstile with it's EMG 89 humbucker and the two single coil EMG SA pickups. I'm using it though a Korg AX3G and a Laney LX65R amp. I play a lot of styles, blues, rock, metal etc and it suits them all, even without the pedal I can change pickups for a different sound. There is a little noise in the background but it is probably made by the amp or pedal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup prefectly. Though the strings were a bit high off the fretboard, I lowered them and there ok now, still a bit high. The pickups were adjusted at the right height so no need to change them. The paintwork on it looks excellent, without any flaws in it. I haven't changed anything on the guitar except lowering the strings and it's good now. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid and will last a while. It would withstand lots of gigs. Everything on the guitar is high-quilaty so it should last you. The strap buttons on it are solid and probably wont come loose, they also look cool so it adds to the guitars look. I have tried to keep the guitar well looked after and haven't get a noticable scratch on it yet. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the guitar for me. I didn't really want a Cort, I wanted to go with a different brand but now I'm happy I got this one. It sounds good, looks good, easy to play on, almost everything is good with it. The colour on it looks great. If it was stolen I'd probably get a new one if I could afford it. But would hope it was insured. The only bad thing, so far, is the height of the strings above the fretboard, if I lowered anymore I'd get fret buzz. // 10

G290 Reviewed by: Metallica12_12, on april 18, 2007

Purchased from: Blue Water Music

Features: This G290 was made in 2006, in Korea like every other higher end Cort. It has 22 frets, with a 22 1/2" scale neck, made of Bird's Eye Maple with a rosewood fretboard. It has a Swamp Ash body with a Flame Maple top, with a transparent finish. It's a beautiful guitar, the first Strat style guitar I have ever really liked. It has a CFA-III tremolo bridge and a Graph Tech Trem Nut. It has H/S/S pickup config. with an EMG 89 on the bridge and a EMG SA in the Middle and Neck spots. All active and all great. The 89 isn't truly a humbucker it actually 2 single coils that are reverse wound, so it's actually 2 pickups, and it can be split to a single coil. Control wise you have 1 volume, one tone and a coil tap, with a 5 way selector. It has Sperzel locking tuning keys, which are great. The best feature would have to be the Spoke Nut Truss Rod it allows you to adjust ur neck when ever you want, no need to take of anything, just grab the little poll they give you and adjust away. I actually did this inbetween to 2 songs at a show. // 10

Sound: I didn't think this guitar was really suited to my style as I play mostly Death, Black Metal, and Hardcore however it has proven to be able to play nearly anything. Since I teach guitar though I do have to be able to play every style so this guitar has been great. It's a lot nicer to play Blues or Jazz on a guitar that sounds right. I've been using this straight through a Kustom 72 Coupe mostly though, I have been using it through my Boss GT-6 into a Laney 40 tube combo. Both ways it sounds great. No feedback from any of the pickups, the single coils are super clear and a little but lighter sounding and the 89 is just great. That said the 89 is actually a lot clearer than most of the EMG's I have used, I love almost every EMG pickup but the 89 is great. As I said before it can play any style and sound and looks great doing it! It has amazing cleans and then get real nice and dirty, all the way to In Flames/CoB sounds or Misery Signals, As I Lay Dying, ect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came great from the factory, but I'm picky about my necks. For almost any player this guitar would have been perfectly set up however I tightened my neck right away. It can in tune, with everything perfect, except the neck. Everything was great overall. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes it will with stand playing Live, no problem, it is a lot lighter than my Les Paul's however it is built like a tank. The hardware is all top grade and I have had no trouble with it in the first 5 months. Strap buttons are solid but I changed em to Strap Locks the day I bought it, I always do. I do gig without a backup since I no longer have my 2 Les Pauls. The finish is great and I'm sure it will last! // 10

Overall Impression: Like is said before with my style, this seems like it may not match up quite right, however I love it, it sounds great looks great and has really improved my playing. I've been playing for 3 years now, when I got this guitar, there was no time when it felt wrong, some guitars you have to get used to playing, this thing came and blew me away instantly everything seemed easier, it wasn't just the action, my Zakk Wylde Bullseye had far lower action, I could wedge a .5mm pick under the string at 22nd fret and it wouldn't fall out when I shook the guitar. This guitar is just easier to play, I sold both my Les Pauls after getting this guitar. Because it was so much better there was no reason to keep them. The Spoke Nut Truss Rod, the pickups and the locking tuning keys are my favourite features. I compared this to many Ibanez and Jacksons but if I wanted the same features I was looking at around $2,000, and I still preferred this guitar. I own a Kustom 72' Coupe, a Vintage Fender 2X12 cab with original speakers, a Boss GT-6, a Kustom Duel 30 RC, a Cort MR-780 and a Alexi-600 LTD with a EMG 81. This guitar makes up for my LTD's lack of range by being the most versatile guitar I have ever owned. If stolen I would get another for sure! // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014