KX-Custom Review

8.2
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
KX-Custom Reviewed by: carlo.candelora, on november 08, 2013

Price paid: € 350

Features: - Construction: Set-in - Body: Mahogany w/ Flamed Maple Top - Neck: 3pc Canadian Maple - Binding: Wood - Fretboard: Rosewood, 12" Radius(305mm) - Frets: 24 / Large (2.7mm) - Scale: 25 1/2" (648mm) - Inlay: "V" shape grey pearl - Tuners: Locking - Bridge: TonePros Lic. bridge w/string through body - Pickups: Seymour Duncan SH1 ('59) & SH4 (JB) (H-H) - Electronics: 1 volume, 1 tone (w/push pull), 3way toggle - Hardware: BN (Black Nickel) - Accessories: Nothing N.B. I changed the tuners with the Sperzel chrome ones. // 8

Sound: The sound is rich in harmonics with, maybe too much middle frequencies. The guitar sounds great yet in acoustic, without any amp, with long lasting sustain (I mounted 0.11-0.54 Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky chords). I was looking for a semi-professional instrument with great sound and great versatility and, in fact, the KX-Custom is suitable for those genres that require versatility of sound and technics respecting perfectly my needs since I play mostly progressive rock/metal. Using my Fender Frontman 212R modified with 2 x Celestion Blue 12" speaker in the DRIVE CHANNEL the sound is full of middle frequencies as expected and, playing with the EQ was easy to find a compromise among middles and basses. Putting the gain to 2-3 and using the '59 de-toned to almost 4 the guitar reached a convincing bluesy sound and a crunchy rock sound with the JB. In the MORE DRIVE CHANNEL the KX-Custom reveals its true nature: the amount of streangth and power the bridge position can bring you is quite impressive for a budget instrument like this (I also own a 2001 modified Les Paul Standard with the Invader mounted in the bridge position) letting me to play almost any kind of hard sounding genre (except for the most extremes remember that it's a passive pickup). The '59 is almost unuseful with this quantity of gain. The CLEAN is, in my opinion, maybe because I'm used to use a light crunch as clean, maybe because I hate having too much middle frequencies the worst aspect of this guitar. I'm not saying it's horrible or something, I just say it doesn't fully satisfy me. Anyway a good position for the acoustic gigs is the splitted middle position. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I guess it could resist some other years, mine is a grey coloured one so it should be one of the first still it's integer and solid like a new one. I had, anyway, to oil the knobs because they were a bit rusty. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think it could last long if kept well. // 7

Overall Impression: It's the guitar that claims to be, and maybe something more. Like all Cort (and all guitars) it has its points of strength and weakness but it's impressive that a so cheap instrument could give so much. Maybe someone could build up his career using only this guitar. Nice work. // 8

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014