KX1F Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 07/01/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: KX1F
It features 2 Motherbuckers (Humbucker) on a mahogany body, a string thru body for endless sustain, and a coil tap on the tone to instantly change to a crispy clean. Crank up your amplifiers with the Katana.
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
KX1F Reviewed by: itar, on june 02, 2005

Purchased from: Store

Features: Korean made, 24 frets, mahogany body and neck, quilted maple top, string-thru-body bridge, passive electronics, 1 volume 1 tone (coil tap), H-H pickup configuration. // 8

Sound: The sound is typical to mahogany guitars. Rich, full and bassy sound. The set-in neck, the strings-thru-body and the humbuckers makes this guitar very bassy and full sounding. The pickup spliting option makes a whole new sound available from this guitar, but I cannot say its a versatile guitar but it is obviously not meant to be. This is a guitar for someone who want the spesific mahogany sound. I tried it on lots of amps. Fender amps puts out a crunchier sound which I like. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup is pretty good. Pickups adjested ewll. The finish is beautiful. Even better than much more expensive guitars. The only flaw is the fretboard wood quality which is only aesthetical flaw. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems solid and well done. I don't have it enough time to determ its durability and reliability. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from classical jazz to alternative to metal. I'm playing 8 years. This is my 3rd guitar after a cheap Epiphone and a Washburn KC-20. I compared this guitar to Ibanez SZ guitars (which are produced in the same factory) and choose the Cort for the coil tap option and the better price. Overall this is a great guitar for its price, more than expected. // 10

KX1F Reviewed by: jumpmanhat, on july 01, 2006

Sound: For me, I mainly play Metal with Shred as well, and this guitar does it extremely well. Right now, I'm using my 200 watt Randall with .10s-.52s Daddarios and it's full balls out punchy, brutal sound from the mahogany just rips through the air with amazing headroom, but dont get me wrong, this thing is also known for the warm jazz and blues tones, I've also heard that funk guitarists are into this guitar as well. Most people Who encounter this guitar compare it to the Ibanez SZ, but the people Who get a chance to pick between the 2, I would say that most of them would pick this guitar, and so have I. The 2 guitar shapes look very much alike, which is why I'm guessing that they are compared, but the sounds are very different. First of all, the KX1F has heavy mahogany, like a Les Paul, and the SZ has light mahogany. Also, the pu's on the Motherbuckers (Alnico 5) on the KX1F have enormous output (bridge 21.6k, neck 17.98k) and are actually very respected in the "pickup world" for their quality and price. Whereas, on the SZ the pickups are basically "Duncan Designed." Therefore, the KX1F has more of a Full Metal, "ballsy" sound, than the SZ which has more of a rock type guitar. However, with the Coil Tap, you can Switch to the single coil rock type sound, which makes this guitar extra versatile. Making it a "best of both worlds" kind of guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was amazing, nothing to complain about. Keep in mind that the Cort factory is where all the "Made in Korea" guitars are made, such as Ibanez, Fender, etc. However, Cort is the biggest guitar manufacturer in Korea, so why wouldnt try harder and make it better? All the wood, including the fret board is good, especailly b/c I have lemon scented fretboard oil! Also, you should have a look at the inlay design, pretty cool, and the finish w/ the flamed maple top is like none other, it's beutiful yet very dark. And to match the Darkness, the hardware is actually dark chrome of which is not dull but shiny, I have never seen this in my life than in this guitar and it's the best looking hardwear "I tell you what." // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar for almost a year now, and there has been no problems, the jack is still perfect, the knobs are still great, the strap buttons solid. I could definately use this without a backup, but I like using more than one guitars on stage. The only thing that is wearing off is the finish on my Tone Pros bridge, which happens to every guitar anyways. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, this guitar was specifically made for Metal, however, its rich, full, mahogany Les Paul type sound and the coil tap function gives it versitility and class. I have never regreted buying this guitar, although, I was a little shocked when I found out that Cort released some other guitars like the KX1F except with a floyd with EMG's, but at the end of the day with this guitar in my hands, I cant complain. If it was lost or stolen, I would look for another Cort guitar, such as the one with the EMG's, but I would have to go to Korea again, because in Canada, nor the english Cort site has the newer guitars. The reason why I like Cort so much is because there arent many Cort players which makes me less of a conformist, lol, and the quality with the prices just amazes me. I have compared this guitar ultimately with the SZ and I couldnt agree with my decision more. I have never met a person Who chose the SZ over the KX1F, but if there is a person like that, he/she probably didn't listen to or play heavy metal. // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014