KX1Q Review

Cort: KX1Q
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
reviews (4) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
KX1Q Reviewed by: Mrasi, on december 04, 2009

Features: Cort guitars have their strengths and weaknesses like any other band. Some models are fantastic and others could be improved. This guitar has positive elements but there are a few issues that I had with it unfortunately. Here are the specs Construction: Set-in -(annoying to do truss-rod adjustments) Body: Mahogany w/ quilted maple top w/ White Binding Neck: Mahogany, Modern ''C'' Shape Neck Width: 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm Neck Thickness:1F : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm Fingerboard: Rosewood, 12'' Radius(305mm) w/ White Binding Fret: 24 / Large (2.7mm) Inlay: Abalone Dot Tuner: Die cast Scale: 25 1/2'' (648mm) Nut: Graphite Bridge: TonePros Lic. Locking bridge (C-TPFP) w /string thru body Pickup: EMG-HZ OPEN SA1(F) & TB1(R) (H-H) Control: 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle Pickup Switching: Coil Tap Push Down Position1 : Neck Position2 : Neck & Bridge Position3 : Bridge Coil Tap Pull Up String:D'addario EXL110(046-010) Color: TE (Tiger Eye), BC (Black Cherry), DSB (Deep Sea Blue) I was content with the options available but later on as my genre changed to more rock I found myself wanting a bridge with a tremolo arm (whammy). A new model in the KX series came out with the "KX5 FR" that has a Double locking-III bridge. Overall the guitar is pretty "out of the box" but I did have to do some slight adjustments but it is all good now. // 7

Sound: Decent, not amazing. More a guitar that sounds ok all around than having any real strong point in a style. E.g. metal doesn't have the dark tone yet blues doesn't have the clean, crisp sound that you would want. To contradict myself, I'll say that I was content with the humbuckers and how I could adjust the tone/split to single coils using that coil tabs. On the negative side the bridge humbucker sometimes becomes disconnected and little if no signal is sent back to the amp creating a sudden lose of sound that could prove fatal in a performance. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fantastic when I first got the guitar with the exception of the 1st fret "B" string buzzing. I had it fixed but unfortunately after time and in between changing strings and such it lost it's perfect action. I was able to fix the problem but the process took a while. The pickup adjustment was normal, so good I guess. I altered mine and everything works the way it is setup to be. There are very few flaws with this guitar. the finish is beautiful and I like the red color. Hardware could be more stable. It will work and then not work randomly. But that is about the only major defect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing? -Ummm well I play live with it but I'm no professional so problems aren't going to cause that much of a problem cuz its more casual. I would suggest not preforming with it but if you don't have any problem with it yourself it should be more than capable to play live. The Hardware does not last in my opinion. Strap buttons are not solid, they come off and I would have to catch my guitar. I would not use it at a gig without a backup. Finish is GOOD (have to have some positive) it hasn't come off on me yet. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall the KX1Q was a good guitar to learn from. If you plan on wanting to buy a guitar that you can practicing fixing this one is a good choice. But I will not give too much of a negative feedback. In my opinion this is a good guitar but it just isn't solid enough. Guitars should last and be enjoyable to play for years after you buy them without having any major issues. I wish it had more improved and reliable features. But that is what the newest model of the KX series is. I wish I had forseen the problems I had with this guitar. It was a guitar that did help me though. Do yourself a favor and take my advice and consider a different guitar, the 24 fret guitars are common and this one just isn't reliable enough in my opinion. -Mrasi out // 7

KX1Q Reviewed by: thundermonty, on march 25, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: CONSTRUCTION: Set-in BODY: Mahogany with quilted maple top NECK: Mahogany, Modern "C" Shape BINDING: White FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 12" Radius (305mm) FRETS: 24 / Large (2.7mm) SCALE: 25 1/2" (648mm) Only feature it lacks is a tremelo. Love the split coil function. INLAY: Abalone dot TUNERS: Die-cast BRIDGE: Tone Pros Lic. Locking Bridge (CAVR) with string-through body PICKUPS: EMG-HZ OC1N & OC1B (H-H) ELECTRONICS: 1 volume, 1 tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle HARDWARE: Black Nickel // 9

Sound: It fits my play style just fine. Which is classic rock. Alot of Pink Floyd. But it can get some metallica tones. This is a sustain machine. String thru body, passive open coil humbuckers, Neck attached to the body, this will hold your notes out forever. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action was fine but I bought mine from a music store. It was new but they unbox them and set them up. So when I got mine everything was properly in place. I find the Bridge oxidizes easily, but wipes off with Dunlop cleaner. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a VERY solid guitar, but it's one of those guitars that are so beautiful that you don't want to play it too hard. The strap buttons had to be tightened a lot but after that it's fine. The finish doesn't wear off but if you bump the bottom against something it seems to get a white layer over it. It doesn't chip. The white crud wipes right off, but it looks like spilled paint and needs to be cleaned every once in a while. // 8

Overall Impression: I own a Peavey Bandit 112 and this guitar is in the same price range as the amp, which is good for me. This guitar is a mid range guitar but I've plugged it into a 1400$ amp setup and it sounds great, but due to the price difference, I would get a better guitar if I had a amp like that one. // 9

KX1Q Reviewed by: sunit747, on july 05, 2011

Purchased from: Bajaao.com

Features: My Cort KX1Q guitar was manufactured in 2010. Its made in Indonesia. The guitar specifications are: - 24 frets, 25 1/2" scale. Rosewood fretboard. - Mahogany body with quilted Maple top. Blue colour. - Mahogany Neck. Set Neck. - Superstrat body style. - Tone Pros licensed locking bridge. String through body. - EMG passive pickups. Neck - EMG HZ SA1 and Bridge - EMG HZ TB1. - 1 Volume control, 1 tone control with single coil tap and 3-way switch. - Die-Cast non locking tuners. - Di'Addario strings (.010 to .046) Additional Accessories - Picks, Guitar Strap // 9

Sound: I am using my Cort KX1Q guitar with Roland Cube 20XL amplifier. I play hard rock/heavy rock/heavy metal from the 70's and 80's. I mostly play rhythm guitars and this guitar gives me the sound I need. With the set-neck and mahogany body the guitar has a rich sound quality and sustain which I desire of, which is a major bonus for a budget guitar. I absolutely love the Bridge pickup and use the guitar on Bridge pickup most of the times. The single coil function is a good additional option to have. The guitar is also suitable to playing Acoustic sound with its rich sound characteristics. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup well, the action and intonation of the guitar was perfect. The finish of the guitar is neat and the guitar looks stunning in the blue colour with quilted maple top. I also love the headstock design. The tuning pegs are comfortable to use. The pickups are a bit too elevated from the body for my liking and leaves a tight space for playing, its a matter of adjustment and is not a major issue. The pickup selector Switch is slightly loose. The volume and tone control are easy to use. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar looks sturdy and well built. In my opinion the guitar can withstand live playing as it also stays in tune well. The only problem with using this guitar for live gigs is the weight. The guitar is a little heavy due to the Mahogany body and can take time getting used to playing for long hours standing, but then it is the Mahogany body which lends the rich tone to this guitar (no pain no gain!). // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing this guitar for 3 months now. I love playing this guitar. I had considered buying ESP LTD MH 250 NT before buying Cort KX1Q. I thought Cort KX1Q was a better value for money and I am not at all disappointed. If you are looking for a budget electric guitar with good sound and can bear the absence of a whammy bar, look no further! // 8

KX1Q Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 08, 2012

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: Made in Indonesia in 2010. Specs: - CONSTRUCTION: Set-in - BODY: Mahogany with quilted maple top - NECK: Mahogany, Modern "C" Shape - BINDING: White - FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 12" Radius(305mm) - FRETS: 24 / Large (2.7mm) - SCALE: 25 1/2" (648mm) - INLAY: Abalone dot - BRIDGE: Tone Pros Lic. Locking bridge (CAVR)w/string thru body - TUNERS: Die-cast - PICKUPS: EMG-HZ SA1(F) & TB1(R) (H-H) - ELECTRONICS: 1 volume, 1 tone (w/push pull), 3way toggle - STRINGS: D'Addario USA - HARDWARE: Black Nickel // 7

Sound: For starters I use a Randall RG80-ES head combined with a 2x12 cab loaded with V30s. I mostly play metal and have to say that the stock pups don't quite cut that, thrash and power metal they'll get away with but beyond that I found them lacking especially in the lower regions. Variety is decent thanks to the coil split, though the bridge pup in single mode sounded quite thin (even for a single) especially when going through the clean channel. In all it'll somewhat get away with most styles, yet doesn't really do anything particularly well. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Seeing as I did not buy it "out of the box" and therefore do not know if it was altered at the store I cannot comment on factory set-up. I will however say that the set-up when I got it was acceptable. It played quite smoothly and action was at a reasonable level without too much fret buzz. Overall paintjob was decent, a bit of overspray on the binding around the neck area and a bit of excess paint between neck&body. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Strap buttons will do, can't say I am having problems with them as of yet. The pots, knobs and switch feel flimsy. I honestly believe they can disintegrate at any moment if you use them a bit too rudely, useable if only playing @ home, definitely not something I'd put my trust in on stage. Tuners are alright, they do their job yet I did find myself retuning at fairly regular intervals. Nut was not cut properly. Bridge is simply put solid (about the only piece of solid hardware on it). Body and neck seem to be solid and well put together. // 3

Overall Impression: Stock it is a nice looking, decently playing and sounding guitar for a relatively small price. Sadly the main reason it is at this price seems to be the hardware, which feels - quite plainly put - cheap. (all comments in above sections were made on the stock guitar) Main reason I bought it was because it was made out of the wood I wanted, came with a fixed bride and had the look I wanted. I had already planned to change all the hardware before buying it and therefore did not mind the cheap feel most hardware had. After a significant hardware upgrade which included: Grover locking tuners, DiMarzio pups, graphtec nut and proper pots+switch it became an entirely different guitar. It now has the nasty growl I am looking for, stays in tune all night long and can withstand some abuse. Furthermore a proper setup helped as well. In conclusion my advice would be as follows: If you are looking for a guitar to buy and play and not have to worry about, look beyond this one. If you are looking for a solid base to improve upon, this just might be the guitar you're looking for. (overall rating is regarding the stock guitar) // 6

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014