KX5 Review

7.2
reviews (6) pictures (3) 27 comments vote for this gear:
KX5 Reviewed by: lukec1792, on may 19, 2010

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: This was made in 2009, I think. It was brand new when I bought it last year. I assume it was made in a far eastern country where most things are made nowadays. It has 24 frets which I actually find a huge advantage. The fingerboard is rosewood. The finish is glossy with a sparkle underneath the gloss. Mine is in white and I think it looks beautiful. It's mighty mite motherbuckers give such an awesome tone. This guitar is an absolute steal. I love it. It also has a coil tap which if I'm honest I don't use that often. But it's good to have the option there. The guitar is very simple but it delievers great quality for a good price. // 10

Sound: This guitar was initial bought to play metal in my band but our style changed. Since this happened I have found that this guitar can shift it's tone into other genres and still sound mind blowingly beautiful. I used to play it through a Line 6 spider III half stack but now I run it through a Marshall AVT150H and it boasts the ability to sound amazing through and through. It's raw sound is just what you need to bring out the originality in your music. It has a perfect balance between warm tones and treble, to punch out the notes with a force that leaves them in your heads for days. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action at first was a little high but I soon sorted it. I think that I assume too much from lowering action. With my other guitars I've wanted it to go so low it's not been playable. The same happened with this guitar but I think it's simply because I expect too much. The finish is very well done. Th binding on the body is very clean and straight. Only bad thing I can say is that the jack input comes loose but it happens with all guitars. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has taken an unfair beating but only has a tiny few marks on it. I've dropped it at practice a couple of times and had to pray, but it has soldiered on. It's very sturdy and has a strong and well made feel to it. It feels professional and reliable to play too. I always use this guitar for gigs and I only take a back up incase I break a string. I don't doubt it at all. It has never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall impressions of this guitar are nothing but great. The guitar has been so good to me, giving me beautiful tones and forgiving me for treating it badly. It holds up so well live and I'd not change it for many things. My band play post hadcore music now and it fits perfectly, but you could use this for blues, thrash metal and everything inbetween. What I love about this guitar is the look, it's just so gorgeous it makes your eyes ache. People are always asking me about it at gigs. It's the best guitar I've ever bought. Better than my old Fender Telecaster. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would definately buy it again. I didn't even have to try it out before I bought it. Maybe I just got lucky with a good one. But it is a great guitar and I if you buy one you wont be disappointed. // 10

KX5 Reviewed by: G3752, on august 24, 2010

Features: Rose wood fingerboard, maple neck, basswood body. 24 frets with a 25.5 scale probly made in 2008/9 ish. And I got a crappy cable( that lasted 2 moths) and some tools to adjust the truss rod. Made in Indonesia. Coil tap to Switch between single coil and buckers. Pickups are Motherbucker Zebra BKHD. Tuners are die cast with a string through body. // 9

Sound: It doesn't have to bad sound actually I play mostly punk, a little bit of zepplin, some Slash etc and I use a crappy practice amp but I've played it through I better amp and it actually has a nice tone with wich you can do quiet a lot.Only problem is it is pretty noisy if you use single coils. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was terrible when I got it it buzzed like hell so I had to take it back finish isn't bad. Tuning pegs got loose after about 6 months and pickups were quite high. No other flaws except that the body kinda scratches easy but o well can't do anything bout that. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well I have played live with it but I don't really jump around and bang it against stuff. It has fallen a few times cos my strap sucks but it hasn't broken or anything. My biggest issue with this thing is that its volume knob is faulty and I can only use it on high volume other wise it doesn't work ( and I've only had it for a year) I think I should take it back to the guy who sold it to me to get it fixed. Strap buttons are solid and I think they will probly last longer then the guitar itself. I have played without a backup and it hasn't dropped me (yet). Another thing about the volume know is that it doesn't really stop nice and sollid it kinda go's on so you should be carefull to turn it to hard. Oyeah the bolt that held the input jack fell out and it took me a whole afternoon to get the thing so that it would stay. // 4

Overall Impression: It is not a bad match I suppose and with a good amp it can actually get you some nice tones. This is my first electric guitar so I don't know if you can trust my review that much. I would deffinatley not buy it again seeing as I've had so many problems with it but if it didn't have these many faults I probly whould have rated it a 10 everywhere. If I where you I would rather save up for a Ibanez or a Epiphone or something because its not that great but then again every guitar model propably has one or two that are defects. // 8

KX5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Strat style body with twin humbuckers (Mighty-mite motherbuckers). Coil tap. Volume/tone knobs. 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Medium jumbo frets. Tune-O-matic bridge. Thru body stringing. No whammy bar. Snake-head style headstock. Mine was kinda 2nd hand so no extras. Versatile guitar. Made in 2008. // 8

Sound: I've had this guitar just over 12 months. To start with I never used the coil tap. I found the tone OK but not fantatstic. The PUPs have plenty of power but maybe not the sweetest tone ever. Not as sweet as my son's Epiphone Les Paul. Probably good if you want tons of distortion (I don't). For the past three months I've been trying to play bluesy stuff and rollin stones and I've been using the coil-tap. This is a much cleaner tone but tends to buzz (as expected). Overall the tone is OK but not great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up is OK. I've lowered the action a little just using the tune-o-matic bridge which is a breeze. It's now as low as I can get it without the tone starting to suffer through fret noise etc. Treble strings are fine but bass strings starting to buzz and the action is still quite high on the bass strings. It would benefit immensely from a pro-setup but this would probably cost more than I paid for the guitar. Overall pretty good quality neck. Finish is very nice - mine is a nice shade of blue. Nothing fancy. No flaws. I've been playing it for about a year now and it is just starting to feel comfortable ("played-in"). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes - I would gig with this guitar - no worries. I've had no problems with any of the hardware except the locking nut on the jack comes loose occasionally. Seems to stay in tune. I suspect the control pot shafts are plastic but haven't had the knobs off. Finish seems pretty durable -I've not managed to scratch it yet but I'm fairly gentle with my guitars. // 7

Overall Impression: I'm really into blues and R&B. This guitar is OK but maybe not the best for this style - hence I've just bought a MIM Telecaster. Haven't tried it yet so can't compare. I've been playing about 40 years BUT only accoustic until about a year ago so I'm not an expert on electrics. I'd say the quality is about as good as an Epiphone or Squier - i.e. perfectly playable instrument but maybe not a collectors item. Would I buy it again? - maybe. For me the great thing was the price. I took a chance on it as an eBay item (it was 2nd hand but sold "as new" - which it was). It was so cheap that I couldn't resist for a bit of fun and I'm totally knocked out by the value for money. However I'm just starting out with electric guitars and am keen to try out a few other types. I think that maybe it would be very difficult to better this as a first electric guitar. // 9

KX5 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2011

Purchased from: Bajaao Online

Features: Made in Indonesia CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on BODY: Basswood NECK: Maple, Modern ``C`` Shape NECK WIDTH: 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm NECK THICKNESS 1F: : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm FINGERBOARD: Rosewood, 15 3/4`` Radius(400mm) FRET: 24 / Large (2.7mm) INLAY: White Dot TUNER: Die cast SCALE: 25 1/2`` (648mm) NUT: Locking Nut w/ Retainer Bar BRIDGE: Double locking-III PICKUP: Motherbucker Zebra BKHD (H-H) CONTROL: 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle HARDWARE: BLACK // 9

Sound: Well I mainly play clean and a bit Indian Rock and I gotta say its accomplishing the goal I wanted very well.I am using it with a Fender G-DEC Digital Entertainment Center Guitar Amplifier. With my amp, its one heck of a beauty and beast. Sometimes I use it with a Boss ME-70 and believe me, this boy can sound really bad. Its cot two zebra Motherbuckers which can be switched between single and humbucker mode. It sounds the best if you are using a whammy pedal. A point to mention, it can sound really close to a LesPaul, believe me I own both and this imitates the lespaul greatly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: At first when I got the guitar it was a bit hard to play but gradually with time, within a mont it was really soft. It came with D'Addario strings and they were really soft and I had to change the strings after about two months of rigrous playing. the black Finish was rather great but It'd be better if one waxes it after certain periods with wax and the fingerboard needs regular dusting and lemon oil (I use Dunlop). Its got a Floyd rose, its not original but that really does'nt matter withthe sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would never doubt this guitar for live playing, If you are a begineer or you have only about 2-3 yrs. Experience, it'd be the best guitar for you. theres no problem with the harware but it would be nice if you but some extra spring for is floyd rose, the ones supplied are somewhat tight. The strap buttons ae solid enough fr the guitar and even you to hang with the guitar and I'd recommend strap locks with it (I got Dunlop ones). There's no question of 'not depending' on it. You could always use it in a gig withut a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: When I'm playing clean, it goes like a nice acoustic. I use fingerpicks and that literally enhances its richness. I've been playing for the last 10 years. I got tons of other gear but that's not the topic. Well I rather consider myself that I had asked if it had an original floyd Rose, yeah! But the one supplied with is good enough for live plays but not recording. If I lost it, I would surely buy another one (just with a different colour). The thing I love about this beauty is that its sound is really neat and clean and the thing I hate about this Beast is that it gives a nice competition to my Les Paul, though the price difference. // 9

KX5 Reviewed by: MarkoakaNiggaK, on november 11, 2011

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Glazbeni centar Rijeka

Features: CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on BODY: Basswood NECK: Maple, Modern "C" Shape NECK WIDTH: 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm NECK THICKNESS: 1F : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm FINGERBOARD: Rosewood, 12" Radius (305mm) FRET: 24 / Large (2.7mm) INLAY: White Dot TUNER: Die cast SCALE: 25 1/2" (648mm) NUT: Graphite BRIDGE: Tone-o-matic bridge (LP2) w /string thru body PICKUP: Motherbucker Zebra (H-H) CONTROLS: 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle swich SPECIAL: Coil tap funcion Colour: White Pearl Pretty good price. I'd say I would liked it if I had started playing guitar with this rather than my first guitar that was a low budget Ibanez. // 8

Sound: I play various stuff so I can't talk about a firm style. It handles everything I throw at it pretty well. The sound is OK. Best I heard of a guitar with stock pups except the HOT Rails pups on my Squier HOT Rails Deluxe Strat. Currently I'm using it with a Orange Crush 30R and when I'm on the move with a Behringer V-Tone Guitar GDI21. It does get noisy with the pups spited but it's ok if you know how to play that noise to your favour. The sound has a little bit more bass cause of the body but the pickups still give a bright sound. This is ok for most genres you can think of. It's made well enough to show a players quality in many stiles from jazz, rockabilly to progressive metal etc. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup was done properly in factory. No complaints there. I just put the bridge pup a little bit higher to my preference for easier pinch harmonics. The guitar has no flaws, hardware seems to last pretty well. Everything is top notch for a budget guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made in the same factory ass all Indonesian made Ibanez guitars so no worries there. It will last and withstand anything that normally happens to a e-guitar. Strap buttons are nice and fat, but I still changed them for strap locks. I depend on it as my backup guitar for sure, I'd even use it as my primary guitar if I didn't have that cool Strat for that. I consider to mod it one day so the finish won't stay the same for long but it will last with beatings for about 4-5 years. Just take good care of your guitar and it will repay it to you. So regular cleaning is a muss. Even with the white pearl finish. // 9

Overall Impression: As said before I play everything I like and have no specific style. So to say it short it's a all-around guitar and if you know how to play it, it will give the desired sound. I searched the net and went through a lot of music stores so I didn't have anything to ask when I bought it. If it were stolen I'd of course report it to the police and give them the serial numbers. That way the one who stole it can't sell it here or take it out of the country. And since I live in a small community I'd find the sucker easily and charge him with theft. His A-hole should be prepared by then for some jail time. I have nothing to say it is a good value for the money but it still isn't a Fender hehe. The thing I was surprised on this and that I loved was the neck. Nice and fat. I expected something more like a thin Ibanez (because they are produced in the same factory) neck but got a nice c-shape instead. I compared it to my other guitars - An Ibanez GRG250 and my HOT rails Strat and it's pretty much in-between the two. Better than the Ibanez and just a tiny bit behind the strat. So for the price I paid I can't wish anything that it didn't already have. Everyone wants a guitar finished with nytro but that costs about 200 more dollars hehe. // 9

KX5 Reviewed by: ray_jeremy, on april 12, 2012

Purchased from: MG Music

Features: It was made in Indonesia. Not sure about when. Bought the white pearl body and black line around it. - Construction: Bolt-on - Body: Basswood - Neck: Canadian Hard Maple - Binding: White (BKM) / Black (WP) - Fretboard: Rosewood, 12" Radius(305mm) - Frets: 24 / Large (2.7mm) - Scale: 25 1/2" (648mm) - Inlay: White dot - Tuners: Die cast - Bridge: T.O.M Bridge with string through Body - Pickups: Motherbucker MB-2F & MB-2R (H-H) - Electronics: 1 volume, 1 tone (w/push pull), 3way toggle - Hardware: BK (Black) - Strings: D'Addario EXL110 (046-010) // 10

Sound: The sound suits my music style which is Rock, some Punk and some Metal. I am using it with Behringer (not knowing the model) and Cort MX-15. The clean pickup sounds perfectly clean and the distortion doesn't make many feedback sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar and pickups were adjusted perfectly. But after 4 months use, I got the jack loose and creates sounds, then I decided to bring to the music store and clean it up. The metal part of pick up and jack rust after 6 months. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have been using this guitar for 6 months and I really love this guitar. The strap buttons are solid both. I really can depend on it. Because this guitar has it all. I think the metal bar on the fret rust slowly. // 8

Overall Impression: I played Punk and Rock, also Metal those were a perfect combination to be used on this guitar. I have been playing for 1 year. If it were stolen simply I just bring the serial number to the police and the seller can sell it nowhere. I wish it had a electronic tuner. // 9

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ VX-4V 9 Electric Guitars 07/25/2014