M200 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 12/07/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: M200
Carved mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, Tune-O-Matic bridge and stop tailpiece, 2 Alnico V covered humbuckers, volume and tone controls, pickup selector switch, Die-Cast machine heads, chrome plated hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Features: 7.8
 7.5
 7.4
 7.5
reviews (6) 9 comments vote for this gear:
M200 Reviewed by: Uninspired_One, on october 26, 2005

Purchased from: Wright Music Co

Features: It was made in the USA though I am not sure what year. It has 22 frets and is solid body. It has a beautiful stained finish and I don't even like the stained look. It has two tone knobs for each humbucker and an over all volume knob. For the price I paid for it I think I got alot. I played a First Act (Wal-mart guitar) before it so it was a big step up. // 8

Sound: I play different style from soft alterantive to heavy metal and this guitar handles it perfectly. It is very easy to get this guitar to sound like I want it. I use a Randall amp and they work very nice together. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I adjusted the action after I got it because it was so low that it would buzz. I fixed it as much as I could but the low E still buzzes a little on the high fretts. The pickup selector clicks when you flip it. This is the lowest part of the guitar I think. I would definatly replace the electronics when buying one of these. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty durable. I have dropped it many times and it hasn't gone out of tune once. I leave it above my airconditioning vent at home and it keeps tune. The only thing is the saddle. It had a tendancy to break the lower strings. That is pretty much it. I don't think you could loosen the strap buttons if you were god himself. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a great beginner guitar. I would use it in a live show, though I would have a backup in case of a string breakage. It is a very versitile guitar and sounds great. I just wish the electronics were better. // 8

M200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2006

Purchased from: R&B Music

Sound: I play alternative punk grunge and metal and it suits all these styles perfectly. I can go from Green Day to Nirvana to Metallica without blinking. So far I've used it with a stone practice anp and a Line 6 Spider II. It sounds perfect on both. I usually play thru an Ibanez Tube Screamer and unless I try I cant get feedback. This guitar can do anything from heavy metal screaming to fast hard punk riffs. I also recently used it live to play American Idiot and it sounded awesome. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem with the hardware is the pickup selector clicks when you swithch it, other than that it's perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used it live and it still sounds the same. The hardware has lasted so far and I would use it without a backup. The finish seems durable, there is one spot on the back by the neck that was worn when I bought it but I don't care. // 9

Overall Impression: Again I play alternative punk grunge and metal and it plays it all. I've been playing for about 4 years now, I also own a shitty sunlight acoustic and a Hohner Rockwood Pro (a decent Strat nock off), so this was a big step up for me. I know people wont agree on this but I've played Gibsons worth 15x as much as this and it sounds just as good. If it were stolen I would definately replace it. I love the deep tone it gives off when using the neck pickup. All I wish it had was a custom paint job. // 9

M200 Reviewed by: chrismorris, on january 22, 2007

Purchased from: Thomman Cyberstore

Features: I'm not certain of what year this guitar was made, but it was made in Indonesia. It has a serial number, the model, and the place of creation on the back in ink, so it wont peel off like paper sticker ones. The Rosewood fretboard has 22 frets. I am a small player, and the frets are easy enough to manouvre around, so I believe their probably relatively thin. The body is a solid agathis archtop, with a metallic red finish. it's Shine is pure white, and looks incredible under spotlights. Very similar to what PRS guitars look like in appearence, that's the closest I can coem to comparing this guitar. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, and the tuning does not drop even after the most vigorous of bends. 3 way pickup selector, I either use it at it's lowest or highest positions, but not the middle. You are given a volume control, and a tone control. As for pickups, there are two powersound pickups, one on the neck, the other on the bridge, and they both sound absolutely incredible. // 9

Sound: My musics tyle is very diverse. I play punk, metal, solo and clean, and this guitars gives me every sound I need. It's very simple to replicate authentic tones, especially those of Neil Zaza and Steve Vai, when this is used in conjunction with my Line 6 POD 2.0 and Spider 2 15 watt amps. The tone selector can dramatically change the type of sound the guitar makes, and when using a guitar effect processor, it's always worth checking what it sounds like with the tone set to 0 as well as high. There is no whammy bar, but that's come to be expected with the tytpe of guitar this is. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived at my door 100% spotless, the action was absolutely perfect for the way I play. Tuning was bang on. The pickups have not needed any adjustments as of yet. Everything was perfect, except for where the rosewood met the neck. There are small imperfections which look like dents in the wood, but it is unrivalled by smoothness when touched. Just a darker tan of the wood probably. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands Live playing, the strap buttons are very very tightly fitted, and have white cotton underneath them to protect the finish during it's period of getting screwed into the body. None of the tuning pegs have come loose, and there is no rattling on the headstock. This guitar is played every day, at least 8 hours per day, bare in mind. The bridge is still firmly in place, and occasionally the strings rattle toward there. But in order to overcome this, repositioning the string a slight amount at the bridge works a treat. I would never take a guitar to a gig without backup, but if I had absolutely no choice, I would pick this of any other guitar I have seen or played without backup. I'm pretty certain the finish will last a long time. Just staring at the beauty of it will make you not want to scratch it alone. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I play Solo. Neil Zaza is my main influence in this area, and is why I picked a Cort. This guitar, made my the same company Neil Zaza endorses with his NZS-1, definately offers the tone I hoped to achieve when looking for Zazas voice. I've been playing about 16 months, not long, but when each day is consumed by guitar, it is. I own a Raypierre Stratocaster (jumbo frets, very big) and an ION Stratocaster (Heavy, decent sized neck, thicker than the Cort). I also own a Line 6 POD 2.0, and a Line6 Spidr II 15 Watt amplifier. I then have custom built speakers which two subs and 4 tweeters per side running through a Warrior Chorus by BA Mixer/P.A. I'd definately buy a new one if it were stolen. I'd never lose it, If you had one, you'd understand. I love the finish! It looks as amazing as it feels to play, and a picture only shows one angle of this guitar. It looks a heck of a lot better in real life, I recommend if you are considering to buy one, look at it in a shop, and try it out there. Pictures are biased. I hate how I'm so obsessed with not wanting to scratch it, I've had nightmares about it! My favourite feature hsa to be the tuning pegs. it's those little thing which save 10 mins from each day fiddling with tuning it all the time that matters in the long run. And you will notice it. It sounds a lot like very expensive guitars when used with all my other gear. You really can't tell it apart from Gibsons and Fenders. It sounds much better than an original Fender Stratocaster I tried in the music station through the same setup. I choose this guitar as a cheap alternative to an expensive guitar, but when it arrived, I had a lot more than I expected. I wish it came with a free Flight case, because I wouldn't consider taking it outside in anything else! If you are buying this guitar, just having the feeling of all your greatest expectations revealed and more is worth the small price tag on this thing. This is beyond entry level for gigs. // 10

M200 Reviewed by: triviumbrap, on october 10, 2007

Purchased from: woods music store

Sound: I go through I Roland Cube 20X and use a Korg AX10G effects pedal. When I stop playing I get a lot of feedback and it's really loud. Single picking strings you can hear the pick plucking the string through the amp and this is not a nice sound. I thought of getting some more pickups as they are not brilliant but then I decided against it because I'm getting a new axe. I play all sorts from punk to metal and it sound ok with all styles. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: when I got it, it was my first guitar so I didn't know about action or anything so it suited me fine. A couple of months ago I hade a friend reset all the intonation and action and all of that so it sounded abit better. At this point I had put loads of stickers on it and soon wanted them off. I peeled them off, wiped loads of cream on and all the white stuff came off. I polished the guitar until I could see myself in it and it looks good. When I am playing standing up the strap falls off quite abit but it's nothing some strap locks can't fix. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have played live in school concerts 5 times and it's been fine apart from the sound desk not turning me up! It seems like it will last and will suite as an ok second guitar for gigging. It's got a few chips on it from me running into doors with it and stupid stuff like that but it's a pretty solid guitar even though the neck has started creaking, whether this is becasue I've got 11's on it or something else I do not know. // 8

Overall Impression: I would reccomend this to someone as a started guitar as the neck is nto fast enough for soloing and that lot. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again simply becasue I am getting a new one and don't need it. If I wasn't getting a new axe I still wudnt buy it again because there are plenty of other guitars out there for the same price and wud like to try thsoe out. // 7

M200 Reviewed by: eetfuk58, on november 21, 2007

Features: The Cort M200 is a cheap PRS body style copy. The key features are a bolt on neck, 22 frets, 2 humbuckers, and a tune-o-matic bridge. THe guitar is glossy black and has 1 volume, 1 tone, and 1 3-way pickup selector. This guitar has most of the normal features of guitars in its price range but has no features that really make it stand out. // 7

Sound: I play all types of music (classical guitar major and in metal bands) so I play just about anything. When I originally got this guitar it was just because it resembled a PRS guitar and I liked the body style. Unfortunately this guitar only has decent looks, nothing else about this guitar is even remotely impressive. The bridge pickup is the weakest, thinnest sounding pickup I have ever heard. Even after height adjustments and pole piece adjustments it still sounds just as bad. If you play any kind of rock (which usually relies on the bridge pickup) this guitar is not for you. This guitar just doesn't make heavy sounds. The neck pickup on the other hand is honestly one of the best I have ever heard. It has a very distinct voicing and retains a bassy sound while remaining crystal clear. It's perfect with just a hint of overdrive. I use this guitar with a Roland jazz combo and a tubescreamer and that's about the only decent sound I can get out of it. The sound of this guitar really failed to impress me overall. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on my guitar was terrible. Almost the entire neck has buzz when I bought it, and even after much truss rod adjustment it's still not perfect. The pickups were way too low but that was a simple adjustment. When I first brought the guitar home the jack where the cable plugs into the guitar had recessed inside of the instrument. This was a huge pain to fix but I eventually was able to get it to normal. This guitar has absolutely horrible quality, I have seen better used guitars than this one. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar sounds so bad I don't know anyone who would attempt playing a show with it. I think the sound of this guitar would be your biggest worry, not the guitar falling apart. I think it would hold together, but I would definitely have a backup if you were going to try to gig this guitar. // 5

Overall Impression: I play almost every type of music for guitar and I haven't found one style that this guitar excels at. It is simply too cheap a guitar to really have a decent sound. I have been playing for quite a long time and this was the worst guitar I have ever bought. I do like the looks, but that's all. I wouldn't replace this guitar if it was ever stolen, it sucks so bad I'd probably have to pay someone to steal it. // 3

M200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 07, 2010

Purchased from: Dynacord

Features: I am not sure of the year, but it was made in Indonesia. It is a PRS copy and it has a mahogany body, a maple neck, 22 frets jumbo frets, a rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge with stop tailpiece, 2 passive humbuckers, 1 tone, 1 volume control and a 3 way switch. I'll give it a 7, because it doesn't have a whammy bar and a coil tap and I personally prefer maple fingerboards. // 7

Sound: I play mostly neoclassical instrumental rock and metal, but I am also familiar with blues, jazz, heavy and thrash metal... overly, a good pack of different music styles, so when I bought that guitar I was looking for something cheap that suits them all. I use this Cort with my Marshall MG15CDR and a chain of a Fender chromatic tuner, Boss DD3 Delay and a DigiTech GRUNDGE Distortion. It sounds pretty good for its price, the neck pickup is really nice on clean channel, it has deep jazzy warm sound with lots of bass. The middle position is sharper with more highs and with the proper settings, it could sound bright, Fender-like. The bridge position pickup is rather thin and weak, but with the height adjustments, I gave it more sustain and it sounded just as loud as the neck. It is meant to be used with distortion as it sounds awful on clean channel, but even with my chain, it still doesn't sound as heavy as I want. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with pretty high action, so I had to set it up and now it has amazing super low action without buzz. The other problem was that the neck wasn't bolted on properly and there were some weird sheets of paper between the body and the neck, so I had to get the removed as well. The pickups were adjusted pretty well, the bridge was okay as well. The finish was flawless, but the pickup selector clicks when you switch. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar for a year, everyday, at least 7 hours a day and the finish doesn't wear off, but I've dropped it once and the fingerboard came off the neck a little bit, some of the finish in the area of the place where the fingerboard is glued to the neck fell off, the guitar's intonation was horrible, because of its super low action, is started to buzz horribly and when I changed the strings, the nut fell off, so I don't find the guitar durable at all. The strap buttons were pretty loose when I got it, but after the set up, I find them reliable. I gig pretty often... like once a month, and I have no choice but to gig without backup, since I have no money for a backup guitar, but it hasn't betrayed me, not even once, so I guess I'll keep giging with it until I get money for a better one. // 5

Overall Impression: Well, as I said, I play different styles of music, but mostly neoclassical metal and rock, mainly Yngwie Malmsteen and Jason Becker, and it does pretty well for its price, I've been playing for 5 years, and this is my only electric guitar, I also own a shitty classical Stagg that I absolutely hate. If lost/stolen, I guess I would buy it again since it is the best choice for these money, and my budget is thin. What I love about it is its clean tone and looks and what I hate is the intonation, but when I have time I'll fix it. My favorite feature has to be its cool bolt on - gives access to the high frets and makes it easily to bend there. When I bought it, I compared it to the G260, but it had a problem with the whammy bar, so it went out of the picture. I also compared it to the cheaper models of the RX series of Washburn and some Washburns with dark, metal-style artwork, and it defiantly won me. Cheaper, prettier, with better sound and with better wood. I just wish it had a whammy bar and a maple fingerboard. Maybe I'll buy it a DiMarzio D-activator Bridge for the bridge position... // 8

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ EVL-Z6B 8.3 Bass Guitars 07/16/2014