M600 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 02/07/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: M600
The guitar features 22 jumbo frets with a low action! It has a thru neck, beautifully made. The neck and body are mahogany with a flamed maple top in a range of colours.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.5
reviews (8) pictures (3) 40 comments vote for this gear:
M600 Reviewed by: eggy1991, on december 21, 2007

Purchased from: Ace Acoustics

Features: Where do I start, the guitar was originally brought out in '04/'05, and made in Korea, my edition however was made in 2007, the difference being the EMG HZ pickups instead of some other branded ones, not sure on what they were it has slipped my mind, the 2007 M600 was also made in Korea. The guitar features 22 jumbo frets with a low action, perfect for me! I would have preferred it to follow the PRS Tradition and go with the 24 frets, but 22 is fine. It has a thru neck, beautifully made. The neck and body are mahogany with a flamed maple top in a range of colours, I personally went for antique violinburst. The others include black cherry, honey or just black. The fret board as expected is rosewood. It features mother of pearl inlays with abalone in the right hand corner of each, it looks truly stunning. The guitar has active, and passive pickups, which are helped by being uncovered, they transmit such a good sound! // 10

Sound: The guitar is great for all types of music, which I play, simply because sticking to one style now bores me! I find it is best suited to metal, blues and punk rock. The pickups do it a lot of justice, even through my Indie Sky10 practice amp, I am yet to get a new "gigging" amp. The effects I use with this are almost all Behringer, The Ultra Chorus -> Danelectro T-Bone Distortion -> Ultra Flanger -> Ultra Metal -> Hellbabe HB01. Maybe you ask why I use distortion and metal? well, I find for blues, the dano pedal fills them shoes, whereas the metal one, pretty much does everything else! The guitar is generally quiet, which is great for home practice, but as I say, I've not had chance to check it out gigging. The sound is amaingly crisp, it gives a warm vibe off, it just blew me away! this guitar has the usual PRS settings, one tone, one volume, 3-way toggle, which I must say, suits this, very well, the coil tap contributes to the quality of the guitar, maybe the only fault with it is the quietness of it, but hell, for what it is, I honestly couldn't care! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, put it this way, how did it come from the factory. When I opened it, I actually said wow, that's how good it was. I was amazed at the quality of the build, the pickups were attatched perfectly, in a great position, was built ready to play, adn even came in tune! and hasn't gone out yet (had it 1 day now). In all honesty, as much as I'd like to find a flaw with the guitar to make this less of a review that's just kssing the ass of my new guitar, I can't. I have had no issues at all what'soever, it's just, wow. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've not had chance to play this Live, or even test it at band practice. But I'm going to go with the answer yes. it seems like it can take a beating, not that I'm going to do that, but I have that feeling about it. The hardware is chrome, Ultra shiney, as you'd expect, the strap buttons, are also chrome, and very sturdy, they won't, or shouldn't come loose any time soon! I probably would use this in a gig without a backup, but it's hard to say, because I love to use my Indie SG for certain songs, so I probably wouldn't take it alone anyway. The finish on this is as good as any other of my guitars, well, all 4 of them, infact, I'd rank it with my SG, it's a thick finish, that will take a lot of time and effort to damage, I don't wear a belt, so buckle rash won't be an issue! // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar should be able to meet the expectations of most guitarists. I have been playing around 4 years now, and I know a great guitar when I see and play one. This is defiantely one of them. I own an acoustic, Westfield E1000 Strat copy, Indie SG and now this fine piece of art. The SG and this one are my favourites, but the Westfield was my first, so I won't part with that, or I doubt any of the ones I now own. This guitar, requires no questions asked really, it's just amaingly good. I just wish I could have been a bit more, against it, but I just can't. If I had this stolen, or lost, I would get it again. It isn't rediculously priced at 279, and it's just a great guitar, no matter how long you have been playing, Cort will do you proud. I didn't compare this to anything else, and I'm so glad I didn't, this has the makings of a true legendary guitar, just needs to be established that little bit more! // 10

M600 Reviewed by: Fitzpatrick, on april 07, 2009

Price paid: € 25

Purchased from: A Relative

Features: I have had this guitar for a few years, I got it off my cousin cheap it was made in Korea. It has 22 frets, but I don't like the fretboard, there is just this feeling that I don't like when I fret notes. The neck is fairly thin. It has 2 cutaways so it's easy to play at the upper frets. The bridge is a tune-o-matic. There is 1 volume and 1 tone knob with a 3-way pickup selector Switch. The guitar goes out of tune very easily, even after new strings have been broken in they go out of tune. // 7

Sound: I don't think this guitar sounds great, even with a great amp. I played it with Fender Twin reverbs and the Marshall JVM series amps, but it sounds nowhere near as good as a Les Paul or a Stratocaster. The bright and mellow sound really depends on the strings you use, I use Ernie Ball Slinkies with this and the guitar butchers the sound of these strings. I think the sounds you get from this guitar really comes from the amp. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I got this previously owned, I can't tell how well it was set up because my cousin had being playing this for a couple of years and he could have adjusted hardware and the truss rods on it. I had to replace the pickups because the original ones were broken. The action and sustain wasn't great. Although the bridge was fine, in good, working order. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The hardware in this guitar can break, so I wouldn't take any chances with it at a gig. The strap buttons on my guitar are not solid. I seriously couldn't depend on this guitar at a gig. The finish is good and it does seem to last, it's been around for a good few years now. I only use this guitar for bringing around to my friend's she'd to practice, the she'd is tiny and the guitar bumps off a lot of things. // 7

Overall Impression: I have said this before, and I'll say it again: The overall tone you get from this guitar depends on the amp. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely not buy it again, I would buy something else, maybe a Squier Strat or an Epiphone Les Paul. I think this guitar is 300 or 400 Euro new, and to me it is not worth the money. What I don't like about this guitar is that it doesn't feel comfortable to play, the strings don't feel right against the fretboard. // 7

M600 Reviewed by: Jdwannabe, on april 06, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Zone

Features: I won't cover the spec, it's been covered in all of the other reviews, apart from to pass comment. The neck is real thin and so feels really accessible and so it's a real easy play. The action works out fairly standard, if not a little lower which is good. I use the guitar for a lot of rock and blues mainly so it works well in maintaining a good level of sustain without feeling like the strings are meters from the fretboard. The finish looks lovely although sounds odd to describe, a yellow lining around the body with maroon-y red and the wood pattern showing through. As mentioned by others the fret markers are lovely, with the pearl rectangles and then one corner is different (don't recall what it's called. First reviewer mentioned it). Mine is Korean, passive p-ups and is a Tune-O-Matic bridge. I use a modelling amp so to comment on the p-ups may be redundant but they DO work really nicely with the amp nevertheless, which some of my other guitars cannot achieve the same sound. It has one tone and one volume pot. The tone pot pulls out and pushes in, making the p-ups function as single coil as well as humbuckers. A big bonus for me. A rare feature I like to find too. // 9

Sound: Playing Blues this guitar sounds amazing, especially with the rockier more modern Blues. As I said I DO use a modelling amp so I'm a bit uncomfortable stating things about the sound. When I crank the volume pot to full on other guitars, I tend to need a noise gate, which I don't have, due to a little bit of fuzz and uncontrollabilty. (Way to make up words). This said, the M600 doesn't behave in this way and stays well controlled. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this, perfect condition, a surprising level of workmanship in it. Learning it was from Korea I was slightly apprehensive, I didn't know anything about if Koreans were good building quality but I let that slide. The pick ups are set well, although if I am not plugged in, the neck pick up DOES rattle a little bit when I play an open E, higher frequencies don't do it. I never got it fixed as it's so minor. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'd use this live. I haven't but I would. It's really reliable, feels lovely, I feel very comfortable playing it. I don't feel I'd need a back up to play a gig with it, not that I could afford one. It never slips out of tune, as long as you don't use age old strings obviously, but it is very reliable this way. Tight machine heads and what not. // 10

Overall Impression: Repeat everything I wrote again in here? No thanks. Well... Yeah it IS a very solidly built guitar I would definitely recommend it, I've played for 5 years now, and it's the best guitar I own and I don't feel the need for something more expensive or a new guitar for the blues or the generic rock styles. I am buying a guitar in another half a year but I will use it for different styles, I feel the M600 accommodates all the needs for blues and most rock. // 9

M600 Reviewed by: teehee1988, on january 16, 2009

Purchased from: www.guitars.co.uk

Features: Guitar is part of the new 2009 range made in Korea. It has a mahogany body with a maple top and a rosewood fretboard. It is a twin cutaway, fixed 22 fret neck, fixed bridge with 2 EMG-HZ pickups. What makes this guitar even more versitile than it already is, is that both pickups have a coil tap, so can be turned into single coils easily. It has a Standard 3 way selector Switch and tone and volume controls. It is a very nice guitar, it is not too heavy, but you still feel like you are holding a good bit of kit. Unlike other guitars you do not pay for the name with Cort. They make guitars for Ibanez and Sphecotr to name but a few. They are extremely good guitars, I can not recommend them enough. And guitars.co.uk (I actually went into the shop) is probably the best music shop online or offline that ihave ever used. // 10

Sound: I play a huge range of different music. I use it mainly with a Vox AD30VT amp, but have also used it with an Elwood amp. The clean sounds that you can get from this guitar are something to challenge much higher priced Fender Strats and Teles. Because both pickups are coil tapped you can get a hug range of tones out of this guitar. It is one of the most versitile guitars I have ever played, I can not recommend it enough. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: If there were any flaws with the action and finish I could not find any. The guitar looks beautiful to start with and plays just as well. I played it in the shop before it was setup properly and even then it played very well with no fret buzz at all and a nice loqw action. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Although I haven't had it long so I can't comment too much on this, it seems very durable indeed. Nothing on it seems flimsy or likely to break. I would certainly gig with it and not bother taking a back up without a doubt. Like any guitar ware and tear will take their toll, but as long as you care for it I can't see excessive playing causing any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I can not recommend this enough. For the money you can get no better and I would argue this guitar beats the hell out of more expensive *branded* (ed Fender, Gibson) guitars. When I brought it I spend a good amount of time in the shop trying out different guitars, even handmade more expensive ones, but I felt the M600 came out on top. A slightly thinner neck would be nice I have to admit, but it's not a big neck by any means, it just takes getting used to just like any new guitar. If it was lost I would buy it again in a flash. Being a UNi student I am constantly poor, but uld find the cash somehow to get it, it is such a bloody good bit of kwoit. // 10

M600 Reviewed by: planktonfighter, on january 19, 2009

Price paid: A$ 715

Purchased from: Music 440

Features: I bought the 2007 model made in Korea as my first ever guitar. I wanted something that looked good and played/sounded reasonably decent as I didn't know much about guitars. This guitar definately met my expectations for the price. I've seen this Guitar for around the mid AU $900 mark. But that's the retail price, make sure you get a good deal (About 25% cheaper then retail). For what you get (Mahogany w/ flamed maple top, Rosewood Fretboard, EMG-HZ Pickups, Ivory Binding and 22 Large Frets) you really are getting a great deal. I compared hundreds of guitars in the same price bracket and found this guitar definately had the best price/features ratio. // 9

Sound: I play all sorts of styles but mainly Rock, Metal. I couldn't see any flaws in playing mixed genre's with this guitar. I'm only running a small 12watt Peavey Solo amp so I'm probably not getting the best sound but when I tested a bunch of guitars in the shop this guitar definately stood out. The sound was a lot crisper then other guitars in the same price range (Ibanez, Washburn and some other Cort Models). I also use a DigiTech RP-50. I use a range of different distortions and they all sound great. I also use heavy delay and chorus effects which bring the house down. Sustain is what you would expect, on par. There is usually no noise coming from guitar when not playing unless your using extremely heavy distortion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From what a could see as an amateur no adjustments needed to be made to the setup. It comes ready to go. The finish looks great and the tuning pegs felt good. The guitar body is thinner then the average guitar giving it a nice light feel but when strumming heavily you can feel a slight vibration throughout the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems very solid and the finish is ready to last. I go from Standard Tuning down to Drop C Tuning quite aften and the guitar stays in tune with only slight adjustments every couple of days. I use Top Heavy strings as I play Metal half the time in heavy tunings such as Drop B. There has been no problems with dropping the tuning this low. // 10

Overall Impression: I've only been playing just under a year but I would definately recommend this as a first guitar. It has great feel to play and the fretboard is easy to work your way around. If this guitar was stolen I would be annoyed and I would probably be grumpy for at least a week or so... // 9

M600 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 16, 2009

Features: Korean I assume, year I don't know, the guitar came with no papers in a Moscow shop, 22 frets mahogany, flamed maple, tan colour, rosewood board EMG HZ Pick ups, 3 way selector. Coil tap. The finish is beautifully done, no flaws anywhere, a PRS style more than anything in terms of shape. It's a very solid, fairly heavy guitar, feels good in the hands. The price is absurdly low for such quality. // 9

Sound: The range of sounds is the clincher with this guitar. I tried it out in a CD shop that had a few random instruments on a wall, just killing an idle few minutes as I really didn't need another guitar. That was through Fender Champ. At home I run it through a Boss 60 and a Peavey combo, and oldish one, and in rehearsal it goes through a Trace Elliot speed twin. The humbuckers are full and powerful without getting muddy, for blues and such other tiresomeness it is a dream on the neck pick up, the bridge is sharp enough without losing body. Distorted I find I have to take a fair bit of gain off to get some sort of control, these are passive pick ups but they kick: they are considerably louder then the Rockfield Mafia pups in a BC Rich Assassin, which surprised me. For punk or older metal they are heaven made. New Metal stuff is not out of the question either, but EMG actives are hard to ignore. Pull out the coil tap, on the tone pot and you are in heaven, a distinctive set of sounds that are uniquely voiced, they can do all the rhythm tricks that I always used strats for, without being particularly stratty in themselves. The clarity for lead and picking is astounding, they will embarrass you by revealing your every mistake too. I veer between pure chopped funk playing and snarling power chord dementia and they are both there in abundance. I play lead less often, but the humbuckers make me sound far better than I really am: and a shot of gain in the bridge single has you in snap and snarl heaven, it cuts right through in a sexily evil fashion. A touch of hum on the single coils disappears when you turn back the volume or tone pots one or two notches, and there is never enough noise for it to be a problem anyway. Variety is the watchword, it can do almost anything, and do it with conviction. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was well set up at purchase, despite there not being anyone in the shop Who knew which way up to hold a guitar, I guess that was factory set up and it was fine. It's about like an SG in terms of action, the neck is not too slim, but it plays superbly. Really everything was in place perfectly and I only tweaked to get it closer to my own tastes. It is very hard to put down, and it invites you to try different things. A 9 I guess, as 10 must be reserved for million dollar guitars. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything is solid, I have played it daily for a year or and no glitches. I have also used it with no back up when need be, and it's versatility makes it the perfect guitar for turning up and finding out what is needed. // 10

Overall Impression: For funk, rock, and harder stuff it's great, for Indie jangle it is a dream, only if I was joining Skipknot would I consider using another instrument. I have played for 30 years and have played most of the iconic guitars, I am firmly in the emperors new clothes school when it comes to the point of paying thousands for a guitar, much as I love Gibsons or strats, they are not THAT much better than a decent Yamaha or such like. So unless you are of the opinion that an August 53 Les Paul is the holy grail you would find this Cort deeply satisfying. At present it competes for my attention with a B C Rich Assassin Fx6, a Gibson SG and an Ibanez Jazz box and it competes well. My jam buddy has a les paul and swears by it, and it's nice. I know this because every time we jam he steals my Cort and plays it for hours while telling me the Gibson is better, I get the Cort back when we pack up. it's all subjective of course and strong opinions are the sign of ignorance with guitar comparisons, but for a brilliant price this is a brilliant guitar, pro quality at amateur prices, anyone would be pleased with it as a second guitar, the range of sounds is just a dream, and most intelligent players would be pleased with it as a first guitar. I didn't need another guitar, but it gave me no choice. // 10

M600 Reviewed by: gnr_tb, on july 06, 2011

Purchased from: Music Center (Accord Beer Sheva)

Features: The guitar was made in Indonesia. This is really weird, I knew these guitars are made in Korea but that's what's written on the headstock, both on my guitar and on the M600T in the display are made in Indonesia. Mahogany neck+body, rosewood fretboard, very nice looking mahogany top. Set neck, 22 frets (very easy to reach even the 20 fret because of the set-neck), PRS style, Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive pickups, 1 volume, 1 tone with push/pull for splitting the pickup, 3 way switch, Duncan designed pickups, nice tuners with bolts in them, and... It came in a carton. Yep, a carton. I don't know if many 400$ guitars come in cartons, but I don't understand how it can go through the air a few times, the sea, and then on land, without getting damaged at all. Mine was BBB - looked cool on the internet but not as much in real life. It was kidda purple. Well nothing special here so no reason for a good rate. // 7

Sound: I play everything. Dream Theater, Metallica, G&R, Pink Floyd, Scorpions, AC/DC, Steve Vai, etc. I really love Petrucci's tone, it's perfect for me but yet I want my guitar to be able to play some heavy stuff as well (I don't like his tone in systematic chaos so much, I'm talking about the Images&words style). I use a Vox AD50VT amplifier with its built in reverb and distortions of course. The good thing about it is that it's very quite, no buzz/hum at all in humbuckers mode if you are more than 2 meteres (7 feet) away from the amp. The split mode is a bit noisy but nothing compared to my cheap Ibanez. Well... The Bridge pup sounds like what you'd expect. Nothing to describe. The neck pickup is nice but I find its sounds way too "toy-ish". It doesn't sound like a real nice Bridge pickup, but more like something weird that you never hear a professional play with this kind of tone. I think if you swap its original pickup it'll sound great, but researches show that the wood type has a very tiny affect on tone and people tend to think it does affect a lot because it does - if you play it unplugged. When you play you're guitar unplugged almost all the sound comes from the wood so it obviously matters, but when you play it plugged, the pickups just output the vibrations of the strings. The vibration of a string has two parameters - frequency and amplitude. The wood can't affect the frequency of the vibration (not the sounds waves!) of course, otherwise it'd change your note. It might affect the sustain but nothing special with this guitar. So it really has nothing special to offer. Poor neck pickup and an O.K Bridge pickup. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish looks nice (the BBB version), but not anything beyond "nice". It looks awesome online but in real-life it looks kindda purple. I do like it yet, but it could have been way way better. The volume knob spins very weird, it's really twisted. The tone knob was fine. The Gibson style knobs don't fit the BBB. They should've been chrome like the rest of the guitar. The yellow things that surround the humbuckers look pretty bad as well, they should've been white. And... That line that surrounds the body and the fretboard is yellow which looks pretty bad as well. So, here's the thing. My M600 had fret buzz everywhere on the fretboard in the 3-6 strings. If you put your ear one fret after the one you're playing you here a massive buzz comes from there, but it is VERY noticeable no matter how far you are from the guitar. In the first second after you pick it, you hear a buzz louder than the note. I've had the truss rod adjusted, it had a good relief (about 0.4-0.8mm above the twelve fret when you push down the first and the last fret). Everything was tight, nothing loose. The buzz definitely came from the frets (and the guitar looked new for sure, I don't think they gave me a used one, everything looked new). I got the action to 8/64" which is absolutely unplayable (between the 22 fret and the E strings), and yet everything buzzes like hell. It doesn't have anything to do with the truss rod because it buzzes all over from the first to the very last fret, and it was adjusted well, like I said. The thing before the Bridge where your strings start was high enough to keep a nice angle and avoid the strings touching the bridge, but the strings don't vibrate there anyway. So something was totally messed up with it because everything was adjusted right and it was new so it shouldn't be something to do with the frets (and it buzzes in every single fret anyway). I ended up returning it and getting a refund. Otherwise I'd keep playing my cheap Ibanez GIO GRX40 I think. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I saw the guitar first at my friend's and it's about one year old already and had no scratches at all! (even when you really try to search for them with the light.) So I think the finish is awesome. Everything seems to be fine without any flaws if we forget it was totally unplayable. // 9

Overall Impression: I said all I have to say already. Bottom line I'm really disappointed, I can't describe it. // 4

M600 Reviewed by: Usky, on february 07, 2012

Purchased from: Beyond Eleven

Features: Made in Indonesia 2010. 22 large frets, rosewood fretboard (12" radius) with mother of pearl and abalone inlay block fret markers. The scale length is 629mm. Body and neck are both mahogany. Neck is deep-set. Body is slim Strat-type and has flame maple top. Mine is in antique violin finish. Two Duncan Designed HB102 (H-H) humbuckers, TonePros locking C-TPFP bridge & CT1 tailpiece. One volume pot, one tone pot, 3-way pick-up selector. Tuners are unbranded, but are a very efficient Grover type. // 9

Sound: I love the way this guitar sounds; the humbuckers are really gutsy delivering bags of grunt. I playing mostly blues and rock and the M600 is ideal for both genres; great for covering ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Zep, Hendrix, etc. Played through the crunch setting of my Marshall MG30 with a little added delay and reverb the sound is amazing and needs no other effects. Played 'clean' the tone pot offers a good variety between soft, rounded tones and hard, edgy sounds depending on the pick-up selected. I find I need to back off the volume to around 5/6 with the pick-up selector in the middle position. Separate volume pots would have been a nice addition. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low and easy; I find this guitar very forgiving, which is ideal for me because it makes this instrument easy to play! The quality of the components used is adequate; remarkably good, given the cost. The overall finish is excellent and in my opinion the guitar looks very classy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought my M600 from an American dealer and had it shipped to the UK; the guitar had obviously been set-up by Beyond Eleven prior to shipping and despite being 7 days in international transit it arrived in almost perfect tune, which says a lot for the bridge/nut/tuners. Having allowed the guitar to acclimatise I tuned it properly and haven't needed to touch it since; the guitar has been played almost every day since it arrived a month ago. The intonation is spot on and needs no adjustment. The strap buttons are solid and of equal quality to the rest of the hardware. I'm using the guitar with a 5.5cm leather strap and find it sits perfectly for my style of playing. I should add this is not a heavy guitar and I'd be happy to play it on stage for protracted periods. Would I depend on this guitar? Yes, absolutely! I NEVER gig without a back-up, but suspect the back-up will just sit in its case and never get used. No worries with the finish of the body/neck, my only concern may be the abalone inlays in the mother of pearl fret markers; they look fine now, but I wonder how well they'll survive. // 9

Overall Impression: I've played on and off for more than 40 years, but never come across a guitar of such quality for so low a price. I saw a guy playing a M600 while on holiday in the Canaries and talked to him about it (Cort guitars are not common in the UK). He kindly let me have a go and I just didn't want to give the guitar back! I admit to having some qualms about buying the guitar unseen from the States, but my experience with Beyond Eleven has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again. I was on the point of buying an Epiphone Les Paul when I first saw the M600 and have regrets about my change of heart; my Cort plays every bit as well as any Epiphone I've tried and came in at almost half the price and sounds better too! Would I buy another Cort M600 if mine was stolen? Yes I would, without hesitation. There's one thing I hate about this guitar and one thing I would change; the switch-cap on the selector toggle is cheap plastic and had to go. As mentioned previously I'd like to be able to mix the output from the pick-ups so separate volume controls would be a bonus. // 9

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ VX-4V 9 Electric Guitars 07/25/2014