M800 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 07/19/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: M800
This guitar could fit every style in my opinion. Very full bodied sounding. The mahogany body resonates nice deep tones and smooth overtones while the ebony fretboard and maple top add nice brightness to the initial attack of the instrument.
 7.8
 9.4
 6.1
review (1) pictures (4) 4 comments vote for this gear:
M800 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2011

Purchased from: Fellow Forum Goer

Features: This guitar was made in 2004, by way of the serial dating system used by Cort. It's a 22 fret neck, with a 24.75" scale neck with 6130 frets on an ebony fretboard. It's got a flame maple top (Information from Guitar Player says that's it a Pacific Maple top with a Flame Maple veneer) on a Mahogany body and neck. As with most M800s it has the sunburst finish on top and the red back and sides (including the back of the neck). People say it looks like a PRS, however it doesn't have that stupid ass CNC work on the smaller horn that PRS have! The Bridge however is atrocious, they call it the M2. It's not locked and can just be a PITA. Passive electronics. Master Volume, Master Tone (w/ Push-Pull for Coil-Tapping). H-X-H Pickup configuration with the original Mighty Mites Pups in there. I plan on putting in two SD 59s as soon as I can. Non locking tuners no idea what brand they are. Didn't buy it from the shop so I don't know what "accessories" come new. I'd like to have it refinished one day. // 10

Sound: I play everything but jazz, metal, or country. Which is to say I enjoy playing the other styles. I run Cort > Germanium BYOC Fuzz Face > Whammy II > Fulldrive 2 > BBE Green Screamer > Ross Silver Comp > Boss DD7 > Fender HRD. Very full bodied sounding. The mahogany body resonates nice deep tones and smooth overtones while the ebony fretboard and maple top add nice brightness to the initial attack of the instrument. I can control the sustain/feedback pretty well with my given set up and this instrument. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't speak of the factory set-up. I don't care for the MM pickups to be quite frank. Pickups are the microphone of the instrument, I don't care for this microphone very much. The first time I had the guitar setup, it was refretted. However, this was 6 years after it came out of the factory, and the original owner never had it refretted. I consider this to be a properly bookmatched top. The Bridge has never given me problems other than it's not set-in. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played live with it yet but I also have yet to have a problem while playing extended jam sessions. I don't see the hardware going anywhere anytime soon. ONE THING about the strap buttons, is that Cort decided to be innovators and make the strap button screws slightly larger than industry standard. Most straplock systems that involve replacement screws, will have to be continuously tightened from time to time. The finish has never chipped and I don't think it would without some serious damage to the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar could fit every style in my opinion. I've been playing about four years. Other gear is listed above along with an Ibanez AS73. I would buy the 900 if this was ever stolen. Unfortunately they're no longer made at the Korean factory, but the M900s are a nice upgrade, and they replaced the 800. I love it's tone and quality. I dislike their choice of bridge, and I don't care for the pickups. Favorite feature would be the quality of woods and work. I didn't compare it to many other products because most everything similar is $2500+. I chose the Cort because a guitar is made of wood. Quality woods mean quality tone. Tone is produced by strings vibrating over the wood, which resonates and reflects sound. The only way that it becomes electric is the pickups, which as I said, are the microphone. You can change the microphone of anything, and that's the only thing I would change about it. I wish it had a blue transparent finish, which I'm planning on trying to have done soon. // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014