TS-250 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 12/13/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: TS-250
Good match to my music, sound is where it really sticks out for me. Great features for a low price. Great Les Paul copy.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 7.3
 8.2
 6.4
reviews (2) pictures (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
TS-250 Reviewed by: polly88, on august 29, 2012

Purchased from: Private seller (secondhand)

Features: I am reviewing the Cort TS 250 (now CR 250). Mine was made in Indonesia in 2010 in the new Cort factory. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard. It is a Les Paul copy. It has rectangular inlays that look like the mother of pearl inlays on Les Pauls. It has a flamed maple top (mine is trans. amber). I am not sure if it is a veneer or solid top. It has a set mahogany neck and a solid mahogany body. 2 humbuckers (covered) It has a tune-o-matic bridge, white binding. A tone and volume control for each pickup. Vintage pots. 3 way selector. Tuners look like Vintage Les Paul ones. Overall a solid guitar, 3 years old, sturdy electronics. It comes with a decent Cort hardcase. // 8

Sound: I play alternative, punk and a bit of AC/DC and GNR. It suits my music quite well, playing mainly with distortion. The humbuckers are noiseless. Very 'Les Paulish' sound. I play through my practice amp, a Roland Cube and a Boss OD3 for a boost. But the real test - a tube amp. It sounds great through one. Cleans are also very good using the neck pickup, but at its best with some good distortion or overdrive. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it second hand and it came set up quite nicely with 9s and a low action (no fretbuzz). Pickups in a good condition. Not a flaw on the finish although it is 3 years old. No frets sticking out. No rust or anything like that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would withstand live playing pretty easily and the strap buttons are solid. Hardware built to last. It is my second electric guitar and I rate I could play it without a backup with no problems but better be safe than sorry. // 8

Overall Impression: Good match to my music, sound is where it really sticks out for me. Better than the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, in my opinion. Great features for a low price. I have been playing for 4 years. Great Les Paul copy. If it was lost I would try and find another one at a good deal, however these guitars aren't very frequently sold. My old guitar is a cheap Strat copy and this completely demolishes that. // 9

TS-250 Reviewed by: Alexx_212, on december 13, 2012

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This is actually a very good guitar for distorted metal riffs. I was impressed by the power the riffs are being given by the pickups. Mine was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It's a full mahogany body and it has a quite good finish. No problem with the tuners, nor with anything except the jack input. It is rubbish. It fells just after you wiggle the cable a bit, but I'm pretty sure that not all of them have this problem. The bridge is a little bit damaged or "burnt", but I don't know exactly why. It definitely happened along the time, after buying it. // 8

Sound: Well, I'm not that impressed by the quality of the sound of this guitar when it comes to unplugged playing. It has a kind of full, dead sound. I usually need a mini-amp to play it when not home and I don't like it at all. But when it comes to a metal, heavy sound, it just blows up the amp, especially a little one. Most of the time I play classic rock, but also a bit of Pantera, Metallica and some metal licks. When playing Metallica and Pantera I swap it to the Cort. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As my first guitar, I didn't know what a good factory setup was until I bought the second one, a Jay Turser JT-200 (also made a review on it), but after a while, after I realised how a bad setup could affect my tone (case of JT200), I thanked God he gave me a guitar with such a good set-up. If you are a low-action maniac, you'll be happy to see you can really push it pretty down with no fret-buzzes coming up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As being a $300 guitar, you can't expect playing it very much without any signs of wear-off. The strap buttons are pretty solid so it won't fell off easily. It's not that bad a guitar in durability terms, but, of course that you can't rely on a $300 as well as you do on a $2500 one. It's a practice guitar, not a touring one, so reliability does not matter much if you take care of it. I mean, just buying a cheap guitar stand ($10) can protect it against so many damages. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this guitar can easily play what kind of music you like. I've been playing for 1 year and I own a Jay Turser JT-200 Serpent model, a Behringer GM108, a Marshall MS-2 and a Hora Reghin SS300 Walnut (http://www.hora.ro/chitara_eco_ss300.html). If it were stolen / lost I wouldn't buy it again, not because it's not a good guitar, just because I know that if I would add only $100, would have a better guitar, like a Jackson JS-32 Rhoads V, or an Ibanez RG350DX Wh.

// 9

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014