VX-2V Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 02/12/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: VX-2V
This guitar comes with EMG-HZ H4's, which in my opinion are just the passive version of EMG 81's, they are high output, the tone is thick and solid, and the guitar is very light even though it is fairly thick. The liscensed Floyd Rose on this guitar is surprisingly good, it holds it's tuning and the movement is smooth.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (4) 16 comments vote for this gear:
VX-2V Reviewed by: Jesstaa, on october 20, 2008

Price paid: A$ 700

Purchased from: Leading Edge Music

Features: Not sure when the guitar model was introduced, but I think mine was built this year because it took so goddamn long to get here, built in Indonesia. This guitar comes with EMG-HZ H4's, which in my opinion are just the passive version of EMG 81's, they are high output, and have a low noise level, even compared to some of the more expensive guitars I've played. I was a little put off by the agathis body, but it really isn't as bad as you'd expect, the tone is thick and solid, and the guitar is very light even though it is fairly thick. The liscensed Floyd Rose on this guitar is surprisingly good, it holds it's tuning and the movement is smooth. The only problem I've experienced with it is the whammy bar is slightly loose, so when I change the direction of my Drive, it wobbles a bit, but no dramas. The guitar has a fairly simple control setup, 1 master volume, 1 master tone and a 3way toggle, but I'm not complaining, I never really used the guitat controls anyway. The body of this guitar resembles that of a Jackson Randy Rhoads guitar, although I think the large wing is slightly longer than that of a Jackson, as the wing is really bloody long, I can just see it getting broken off. The only downside I've come across so far with owning this guitar, is the finish is quite low quality, I've had it for less than a week, and the finish already has a lot of scratches in it from just using a fairly soft cloth, mine is in black, so I get a lot of fingerprints on it. This guitar came with a good gig bag, with fairly thick padding, and the interior wont scratch the guitar. It also came with all the needed tools and an extra spring for the bridge, along with a short, low quality cable, good for using with a tuner. // 9

Sound: I play Metal, mostly thrash, and this guitar does just what I need. I was previously using an Epiphone Les Paul, and the pickups on that were amazing, and this guitars tone matches it very closely, it's amazing. I use an overdrive pedal (old cheap Boss rip off) and a Marshall Valvestate head that runs through a bass amp combo, and the sound through this is perfect, high gain, with a lot of overdrive (Just how I like it), the tone I use sounds good with pretty much any of the stuff I play, from black metal like Dimmu Borgir, to Iron Maiden, and everything in between. Without the overdrive Pedal I get almost no noise, which is awesome considering I had a lot of noise with the Epiphone. This guitar has a fair bit of low end, but can do high pitched squeals quite easily because of the pickups high output. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, it was set up and tuned perfectly, I just had to screw on the strap peg on the neck joint and I could play straight away, the pickups were in a fairly good position, although I moved them a little. The neck and frets have no problems, although a guitar of this model that I saw in a shop had a poorly glued on fretboard, so every guitar might not be as good as mine. The controls are fairly snug, no lose knobs or anything, and the toggle Switch is fairly good, although it clicks fairly loud, and can be heard through the amp, and the ring around it comes loose. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would withstand a full gig, I played for about an hour or so fairly violently the other day with a lot of whammy squeals and I didn't need to tune it. The hardware is fairly sturdy, although the black paint on it has started to get weak in some places already. The strap buttons have shown no signs of letting my strap slip, although they're in good positions, these aren't as good as the strap buttons on the Jackson my mums bf own, they wouldn't let a strap go if you ripped it off (Non locking). The finish is beginning to scratch already, after 4 days of playing... But probably because I clean it too often, and the cloth has a couple of rough spots, a rough cloth will just take the finish right off.. So I'm a little worried. I would never gig without a backup guitar, although I believe I could rely on this. // 9

Overall Impression: For my style of music (Thrash Metal), this is perfect, I couldn't ask for more for $700, I've only been playing for a year, but I play fast, so my gear has to be able to withstand rough playing. I don't own any other gear myself (Except for the typical 10watt practice amp and Stratocaster copy every beginner guitarist will get) although I use my mums bf's gear, and he owns a Jackson Kelly, made in Korea in the 90's, and an Epiphone Les Paul, and this guitar is as good, if not better than both. If this was stolen, I would probably buy a Jackson RR guitar, although if I couldn't get enough money, I'd definatly get this again. I love how easy this guitar is to play, and how awesome it looks. The amazing tone is definatly my favourite though. I didn't really compare this to anything else, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, and after playing it I wanted it so bad... I wish I had active EMG's, and a proper Floyd Rose, and some better inlays (I love sharkfin inlays) but I can Live without them. // 10

VX-2V Reviewed by: Baraga, on july 22, 2009

Price paid: € 350

Features: Made in 2009, this beast caught my eyes once i layed them upon it. Like any other Cort guitar, it was made in Indonesia. 24 jumbo frets inserted on a 25 and a half inch rosewood scale, it can make the most newbie guitarrist play good songs. With a new-generation carbon fiber pickguard, it gives an unique look to this guitar, as long with uts body style, that ressembles Gibson Flying V, Jackson V, etc. Has a locking tremolo Floyd Rose-type bridge, signed by Cort. The EMG-HZ passive pickups gives it a tone that many other guitars envoy to have. It includes an official Cort gigbag for transport // 9

Sound: I play alot of genres of music, but my main is melodic deaht metal, and anything related to it. I can say its pefect for me, yet, it could be better if i had a better amp. I'm using a Line 6 Spider III 15watt with it. It can make high-pitched squeals pretty well // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in perfect condition, sicnce I ordered it from the factory. I just had to adjust the bridge, because it was too low... There's just one bad thing that came along with the guitar, in the hole where we connect the cable to the guitar, it had this white stuff, wich I couldnt remove at 100%, I'll try to remove it better later. // 8

Reliability & Durability: For my experience with guitars, this one will last many years, but I'm also careful with the stuff I like (guitars is the stuff I most like, so...) After you buy the guitar, you have to mannualy screw the top strap button, since it had been removed to fit the bos where the guitar came in. THe finishing touches are amazing // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, metal is my kind of genre, and I totally will rock with this guitar. I've been playing for 2 years now, and this is probably the best guitar I have (compared to Cort X-6 and Cort EVL Z-). Comparing to the VZ-4X, this is a guitar for shredding, for solos, for improvisation, while the 4X is more for advanced rythm. This is a really good choice of guitar, even for the most newbie guitarrist. // 10

VX-2V Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar park

Features: I got this last year and it is a fourth guitar I own. Before I used an ESP-LTD EX 50 which can't even compare to this guitar. The body style is somewhat similar to randy rhoads guitars or to be more precise to teh signature ESP Alexi Laiho guitars. It has an agathis body which really isn't a problem as the guitar is rather light compared to the V4 which is mahagony. The neck is 24 frets which is a great thing if you like soloing and it is made out of maple. The neck is smooth and fast you will get used to it in a few minutes of playing. The piece I own is in silver metalic finish so you won't see any finger prints on it even small scratches can't be seen on it. The bridge on this guitar is Cort's own licensed Floyd Rose but I recommend blocking it as it isn't that great in terms of tuning stability but after blocking there shouldn't be a problem. Also the locks in the locking nut aren't made of quality metal so I suggest replacing them for schaller ones which you can get for a few bucks. The good feature about this guitar are the pickups which are open coil EMG-HZ's. They have great heavy sound and have a lot of clarity without unwanted noise unlike most factory pickups put into cheap guitars like the low-end ESP-LTD's or Jacksons. The pickups are controlled by one volume and one tone knob and a three way toggle switch all working well. Also there is a quite good quality gig-bag included. // 9

Sound: I mostly play rock and metal and like my sound crunchy and heavy. This guitar is great for this as the passive EMG's really have great sound quality. The only downside to them is that they aren't that strong so maybe you might think of replacing them with stronger ones. But still you can get great distorted sounds with only amp distortion with great clarity. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up really well from the factory the only thing I had to do was change the strings. Later on I blocked the tremolo so I could change the tuning freely. The factory work is also great as even a man who services my guitar and also makes guitars himself said the the factory work is as good as an USA Jackson KV-2 so no problem there. Also the the string action is pretty low compared to for example Epiphone V's which I think is good thing as it improves fast shredding. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is quite durable as I travel a lot with it and it has also fallen several times luckily it was in the gig bag when it did. The finish is still looking great the only place it has been damaged is on top of the longer wing because I sometimes put it on the ground when not playing so it tends to scrath of that way but you won't see that anyway. The strap buttons are big and solid though I replaced them with strap locks which I recommend getting if you want to go wild when playing. I still haven't played it live but I think it would survive that and I'm going to use it in upcoming concerts even without a backup as it seems pretty reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great quality for the price you pay. If you are a fan of metal I strongly recommend this if you have low budget. I have compared it with ESP-LTDs, Jacksons, Epiphones and B\.C\. Rich guitars at about the same price and this guitar owned them all. If it were stolen I would buy the V4 now because it has a bit better specs(body wood and stronger pickups) as it is sold for about the same price as when I bought the V2 or I would get more money and get an RR-3. But still this is a nice low budget metal guitar that you won't regret buying. // 9

VX-2V Reviewed by: Terr, on february 12, 2010

Purchased from: Music Factor

Features: Made in 2009 in Indonesia. 24 jumbo frets. Fairly light, could be a bit lighter but its no big deal, the body is made of agathis and the fingerboard is from rosewood. Bodystyle is similar to a Jackson Rhandy Rhoads RR5 model. It has a locking Floyd Rose bridge(tune-o-matic). The Floyd Rose on this one is pretty ok, it keeps the tunning quite well but somehow I didn't realy like it, they should have put a kahler bridge which is much more trustworthy. I have blocked the Floyd Rose on this guitar and made it solid state. The VX-2V uses open coil EMG-HZ pickups which are realy great for metal, and have a nice thick sound and do good on solos as well, but I'm still thinking of chaking them into 81 and 85. Basic controls: 1 volume knob, 1 tone and a 3-way toggle(neck, neck&bridge, bridge positions). Die cast tuners, which are great. The gig bag that you get is pretty good, doesn't leave scrathes or anything and is comfortable. // 8

Sound: The Cort VX-2V is great for metal, its definetly a hardass axe, its good for playing blues or any other style but it was definetly made for more brutal sounds and isnt as good for other styles. I use a 1950's Falcon R221 or and old russian all tube Typhoon amp and a Zoom G1X effects pedal with it. Great sound quality, no unwanted noise, you can make out a very beautiful metal sound which is just wonderfull. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was all set, I just needed to tune it. The pickups were in good position however I slightly ajusted them. However I needed to ajust the bridge because it was a bit too high. I haven't found any flaws and its built very nicely. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can definetly guig with this guitar and it will hold out until the end. The guitar is rock solid and I trust it, however I have some doubts in the pickups and I'll probably change them. Some people say that the long wing is a bit of a pain because it scrathed however mine is in perfect condition without a scratch on it. // 9

Overall Impression: So its no doubt a guitar for metal maniac, I would never trade it and it wil serve for a very long time, it takes some time to get used it but when you do you just can't take your hands off of it. There are 2 things that I would change in it: the pickups(I would change into EMG 81 and 85(but this is just my taste)), and I would change the bridge into a Kahler because its more comfortable and reliable to me. // 9

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ VX-4V 9 Electric Guitars 07/25/2014