VX-4V Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 07/25/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: VX-4V
The EMG HZ-H4 passive pickups are amazing, they have a nice clean sound that surprised me. This is definitely a metal style guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.8
 8.9
reviews (5) pictures (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
VX-4V Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 18, 2009

Features: I noticed during some research no one has added a review for the Cort VX-4V yet. So now that I have had one for a month I decided to write a review for anyone else Who may be interested in this guitar. First off, the body is made of mahogany which in my opinion is one of the best woods for guitars as it has a good range through the lows mids and highs. A issue with alot of mahogany guitars is weight, however the Vx-4v is a fairly light guitar making it perfect for gigs. The double locking Floyd Rose trem is a little bit of a pain to set up, but there is heaps of info on the net to propperly set one up and if you do it right it will be your best friend. The neck is good and thin, with incredible access to the higher frets without needing to stretch your fingers. The ony down side to the neck is that is has a painted finish that to some people (like myself) is alot more 'sticky' than a stained neck and this makes it harder to play, a good way to fix this is to get some Scotch Brite sponges from a supermarket and use the rough side to lightly scratch the finish, you can't notice the scratches. The neck is set in to the body, a feature used in more expencive guitars and this adds alot of sustain to the notes. The EMG Hz-H4 passive pickups are amazing, they have a nice clean sound that suprised me because of the 17.8Kohms of power they have that easily make the guitar scream the most heaviest riffs with ease. This is definatly a metal style guitar. // 9

Sound: EMG pickups are known for they quietness throughout the 50-60 hertz frequency (less humming) making the guitar perfect for heavy metal were distortion is used. The pickups are very live and make harmonics easy. The tone pot is very touchy, turn it all the way up and you get screaming highs perfect for distortion, turn it all the way down and the highs are almost gone and you get a nice balance for mids and lows perfect for clean riffs and intro's. The tone of the guitar is nice and strong, thanks to the mahogany and set neck. Though this guitar was intended for metal its capable of pretty much anything. its extremely versitile. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly for Standard tuning. And needed little work. The only comment I have is that it comes with extra light strings (10/48), and they don't suit my style, but this is ohk since I haven't found a guitar that comes with extra heavy gauge strings (13/58)... Yet So in all fairness since the guitar was set for Standard I'll give is a 10... Btw, it's flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Mahogany is some what a brittle wood, so don't drop this guitar. I'd recommend strap locks for this guitar just to be safe. The hardware isnt going to fail you, CNC machined Floyd Rose trem and sealed tuners arnt likely to break, so the hardware question answers it's self. The finish is fairly good, I don't usauly scratch guitars though, so I can't answer that one with certainty. I'd use this in a gig for sure. The soldering work on the electronics is A+ so it wont come loose. And the Double locking tuner will keep you in tune, so don't worry about smashing the backup guitar after the opening song. // 9

Overall Impression: Compaired to the more expencive Randy Road guitars suck as the Jackson RR3 Pro ($2000 AU) and ESP Alexi 600 ($3000 AU) this guitar is just as good. I have played both the RR3 and Alexi guitars and personaly I'd prefer the Cort. The Jackson RR3 Pro has an alder body which is great for highs, but not to good for lows. And the Alexi 600 only has one pickup, so you don't have much choice for tone and nice clean sweeping is impossible. I'd have liked the Vx-4V to come with a EMG 81/85 active set, but for an extra $400 you can buy them and your still paying less than the ESP and Jackson. BTW, the guitar comes with a hardcase, so it's not going to get damaged in the freight. Overall I play a lot of hardcore and deathcore. And this guitar suit's me perfectly. Well worth the money. // 10

VX-4V Reviewed by: bampa, on september 04, 2009

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Musikbörsen

Features: Made in 2008 in Indonesia (I think) this guitar sports 24 frets on a maple neck with a mahogany body and a black metallic finish. Body style is V-ish with a longer "wing" that's HUGE. Three way switch, one tone and one volume knob. Double locking bridge, EMG-HZ H4 pickups and a locking nut with retainer bar. The big plus for me was the included case that came with all necessery tools and an extra guitar cable. The neck is what really got me when I tried it out. My previous guitar had a pretty Standard neck and I found it hard to reach both high and low frets, but with this I can reach everything perfectly at both the first and twenty-forth fret. A job well done. // 10

Sound: I mainly play a combination of metal and punk and this guitar suits my needs perfectly. I play it through a Line 6 Spider II amp with a Vox Tonelab LE. I mainly use the amp for practice and the Vox for recording and I'm able to achieve the sound I want through both systems. With full distortion I can blast through my metal riffs and licks with squeels, palm mutes and harmonics sounding real mean. With only overdrive I get a dirty enough sound for my punk riffs. The neck setting provides a perfect sound for heavy riffing and rythm parts whereas the bridge setting provides top notch sound for lead guitar. I play more rythm than lead, but this guitar makes even me sound pretty good. On middle setting with clean output the guitar gives a rich warm sound that is perfect for the clean parts I tend to play in some of my songs. I do have one issue tho, which is probably more my fault than the guitars, the pickups sound a bit too sensitive and I tend to get some kind of "ghosting" on some of my notes, especially on sweeps and faster arpeggios. My previous guitar couldn't produce a good sound on tremolo picked notes, but this guitar does that beautifully. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up as I wanted it from the shop. I had to retune it a bit and adjust the bridge, but the pickups were adjusted good enough and the action was spot on. The only flaw I've noticed so far is that the guitar cable might rock loose sometimes when I swing it around a lot. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a time to try this out Live yet, but that huge wing might serve as a problem at least on account of the finish. I've banged it against stuff on more than one occasion and the finish is still looking good, but I can easily see myself scratching it up badly by running around on stage. Strap buttons seem solid tho the strap position is sort of awkward if you're not used to it, and the hardware feels like it'll last a long time. Barring the guitar cable getting screwed up, I think I'd be good without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Seeing as I play mostly distorted and overdriven music like metal and punk this guitar matches my needs perfectly. The sound is loud, mean and spot on and it even suits my needs for clean sound in some of my songs. I've been playing for about 4 years and this is my only guitar, since I sell my previous guitars when I buy a new one. If this guitar was stolen I'd buy a new one asap. I love the fact that it's so easy and fast to play, you can reach everything without straining your hand and the pickups are perfect for my kind of music. I hate the fact that I never learn how big that long wing is and I always knock it against things, but I can't blame the guitar for my stupidity. I compared this to the Jackson KE3-Kelly. I chose this one due to the sound, the hardcase, the price and the accessibility. The KE3-Kelly is roughly 300 more expensive than this (even more with case), and in my opinion this guitar sounds and plays better than that one. // 10

VX-4V Reviewed by: Dopemgs, on november 30, 2011

Purchased from: Pro-technica

Features: So here we are with this beautiful Rhoads V style guitar! Made in Indonesia, this guitar offers more than most would see in it. The guitar features 24 frets, easy to handle and perfect for some melodic shred (could work for something faster maybe but I believe Ibanez's the way to go if you're into that). It even has a small cutout made at the top frets which is perfect to give more control and easier access there. The mahogany body offers perfect sustain and tone, if you put it through an overdrive pedal it can carry the sustain to up to 27 seconds (tested on mine with a DigiTech RP350 and a DigiTech Bad Monkey). Rosewood fretboard which remains my preference for guitars. Comes with EMG HZ-4 humbuckers on both bridge and neck position and a three-way selector + a volume and tone knob. I personally don't mess with the tone knob but I've noticed how these hums can get quite the nice smooth tone perfect for jazz even if you lower the tone a bit. Came with a hardcase which was perfect for me, best paid money to be fair. Oh and it also has a Floyd Rose II (meaning not an original FR but an Indonesian built one) which I believe is better than the original. Yes, it is harder to set it up, but the tone is better (I find the original FR tone to be too thin for my preference, whereas this Cort-built FR doesn't result in a loss or anything). Locking tuners - Check, Fine Tuners - Check, all that's necessary is that you set them up according to your preference. The only problem is that I couldn't adjust the spring tension properly at first but it loosened up properly after about an hour fiddling. As most know, FR isn't for people hitting puberty, so I'd recommend you are at least a bit acquainted with the idea behind this tremolo system before purchasing one as the factory setting often resulted in my playing in Eb tuning at the end of a E standard tuning song. // 8

Sound: Hmmmm my music style... I don't have a preference to be fair and this guitar manages to match all my desires, be it blues, jazz, groove and melodic death metal, basically anything. I'd prefer SD SH's to my guitar but these EMGs suit it fine... For now. Not the best option with this body for me but that's my personal opinion after all. I'm playing the guitar through a DigiTech RP350, DigiTech Bad Monkey, MXR 6-band EQ and with a bit of tweaking I can manage to obtain basically anything ranging from old rock tones to acid jazz tones, from LOG distortion to Machine Head-esque crunch. Everything. Really great options offered by the guitar and it'll handle everything you throw at it. As I said if only the humbuckers were SD's but meh, it still does wonders. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before, factory set-up was pretty fine, the strings were a bit higher than most shred-specced guitars but it suits me fine owing to the fact that I'd rather have more control rather than speed, for some it may be a good thing (me included), for other - a bad factor but I liked it. The Floyd Rose was a problem at first but I quickly put a leash on it and now the guitar doesn't lose it's tuning even if I start going crazy with some dimebag squeals (which it can do more than well). All it needs is patience and time to turn it into the machine it really is. I checked out the routing and everything is perfect, those people at Cort know what they're doing with their guitars, everything was matched perfectly. As a whole nothing else is faulty except the beginning setup of the FR so I give it a 9 here. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood plenty of damage already and it lives up to tell the tale. Everything is made with pure love! I prefer playing with a backup guitar but I'd play with only this one if I have to. Finish's a bit thin on the edges of the HUGE MOFO WING but that's rarely a problem. Beautiful guitar made with lots of love. // 10

Overall Impression: As a whole, this is one extremely versatile guitar with loads and loads of options, easy to operate hardware and easy to manipulate systems. Requires a setup from the person buying it but it might be my love for adjusting and tweaking calling. I'd give it a 9 but... The price, Jesus Christ, the price! It costs less than a mid-class guitar, yet plays like a high class guitar! What less can I give it than 10 in that case?! Heart doesn't allow me to do so. Best guitar in the price range. // 10

VX-4V Reviewed by: CharlehBoy, on july 25, 2014

Features: I had the choice between a Cort X6 and the VX-4V, but decided that the X6 was too versatile for my one dimensional playing :)

The VX-4V comes with a fair few features:

- Awesome metal looking offset V shape with a massive stabbing bit... for crushing your enemies on stage
- Mahogany body with set neck construction
- Dual EMG-HZ passive humbuckers
- Double locking Floyd-Rose tremolo with fine tuners
- 24 beefy frets
- Lovely looks (pearlescent white finish and carbon coloured pick-guard)
- Stylised fret inlays
- Came with hard case + tools for the trem/tuners etc. // 8

Sound: The EMGs and set neck just add a whole lot of punchyness to the sound from this guitar. With passive pickups you can get a good range of sounds and I can go clean/bluesy with a fat bottom end if I want to. Obviously the better your kit is the better the guitar sounds, but even with dead strings it sounds good :)

There's no noticeable hum due to the pickups so it's pretty quiet. The only thing I'd say is that the volume control could have a bit more range to it - it rolls off too quickly near the quiet end meaning half of the range on the knob is sort of wasted (past about 30% it's already at full volume). Tone control is good too and you can roll off some of the highs - works better than the volume (to be honest though I don't touch the volume much!). This may just be an issue with the pot used in my volume knob though so have a mess around with one before you buy it. I can't really fault the sound on this one - it's pretty versatile, though I mostly play thrashy metal stuff so I might not be testing it as much in some areas. If you are looking at getting one, obviously try a range of different. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action/finish etc. was pretty damn good, I tweaked the action a little to see how low I could get it when I first got the guitar but I started to get a little buzz when I dropped it (and it was fretting out on the 22nd fret on the G string) - I don't think I really need the action any lower though, I just wanted to see how low it could go.

I'd imagine with a compound radius fingerboard I'd have got lower, but I can't really fault what you can get out of it. It's low enough to get some fast leadwork up the top of the neck done. So the factory setup was pretty spot on. The only thing I changed was to put some heavier strings on as I think it came with quite light strings at time of purchase. Everything else with the finish was pretty flawless and I can't fault it - it really has a top quality finish and there is nowhere on my particular model where it looks like Cort have cut any corners. // 8

Reliability & Durability: All the hardware on this guitar is a nice black finish and is absolutely solid. Even with a couple of knocks the hardware hasn't suffered at all. The body however isn't that amazing when it comes to getting bashed for a couple of reasons. I managed to take a little bit of finish off the long end of the V by bashing it not too hard. Mahogany is quite dense (which is great for sound) but the bashing means that the paint can chip off because the wood won't give (ok if you are bashing it that hard maybe you need to calm down!) Additionally, the sheer size of the long part of the V means that you have to be careful. Aside from those facts, I think it's pretty solid - just look after the body and be careful you don't kill any fans! // 8

Overall Impression: I got it cheap (I'm a family member of the shop owner), and I can highly recommend this guitar - I've got another Cort (X2) and I usually have that in C tuning with chunky strings and that's also great (for a budget guitar). This has become one of my most played guitars since it looks and sounds great. I also use this for recording rhythm more often than anything else since it has a punchy driven sound with clarity that a couple of my other guitars don't have. It really punches you in the face in the low end, which is exactly what I want

Aside from this in itself, I can highly recommend Cort guitars so far - I haven't really played a guitar that I didn't like that Cort have made, and they seem to produce all sorts of guitars for all sorts of styles. The X6 I played was also excellent (more like an upgraded X2 with a coil tap and better hardware), but I felt like I wanted a more metal guitar and the X6 was more expensive. Overall I'm very happy with it and would recommend at least checking it out when looking for a solid addition to your collection // 8

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014