X-1 Review

reviews (7) pictures (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
X-1 Reviewed by: boondie, on june 23, 2010

Price paid: € 95

Purchased from: Local auction website

Features: Lets take an overall look at the official specifications: Construction: Bolt-on Body: Agathis Neck: Maple, Modern "U" Shape Fretboard: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm) Frets: 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm) Scale: 25 1/2" (648mm) Inlay: White Dot Bridge: EG7BV 6-screw Vintage Tremolo Tuners: Cap covered Pickups: EG4B (H-H) Electronics: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5way s/w Strings: D'Addario USA Hardware: Chrome Its new price is about 125 ($150). But yeah... About the specification... It does not have a 5-way selector, just 3-way in real life. Mine was made in Indonesia. I bought it used, it was about 1 year old when I got it. Came with a neck strap and a cheap gig bag. // 7

Sound: Nothing special here. Cheap humbucker - good quality body wood combo. I really like the sound of it. I have a small Orange Crush 10, which I usually play with. The guitar is quite universal (with all the advantages and disadvantages of this), so you can play almost everything on it. I play mostly metal and punk, but sometimes also a little blues for the fun. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: What can I say? It's assembled, just like it has to be. The factory setup is quite good, I barely needed to adjust the bridge to get the string height fit my playing style. Only thing I noticed and didn't like is that the pickup selector is a bit noisy. No flaws, no rust, no loose controls. A tiny little paint flow on the back, but barely visible. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's massive. Built to last? It is if you are using it for practicing - in case you aren't practicing all day & night long. But I suggest not going on a world tour without a backup. Just for safety. Its not that high-class, high-end guitar. But a small gig is definitely OK, I would bet some money that it won't let you down. // 7

Overall Impression: You want a metal guitar for starting? You got it. Its made of good materials, and its assembled good. But don't expect too much, this guitar is not for playing on the big stage. In conclusion, I think it definitely does have a good price/value ratio. Worth buying if you are on low budget, but do not want a plastic toy guitar. I'd give it a 6.5, but since there is no such option, and I have some good memories of this instrument, let it be a 7. // 7

X-1 Reviewed by: BFMVRocker, on august 18, 2011

Purchased from: OnStage Music Factory

Features: I don't know the year of manufacture but it was made in Indonesia. 24 frets (jumbo)rosewood fretboard, 25 1/2 scale. Matte finish. Maple neck. Agathis body. Body type is Strat-like. 6 screw Vintage trem. Cheap Cort humbuckers (passive). Vol, tone & 3-way selector. So, these were the facts. // 7

Sound: I play metal like Disturbed, Megadeth etc & play a little blues & other clean stuff. It suits it decently well. I use a Line 6 Spider III 15 & the produced sound is decently nice, especially in the insane channel. It is pretty ok for some basic shredding. Overall sound is quite good, considering how cheap the guitar it is. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it in India from a shop called OnStage, so I got the pickups fixed. I keep the action a little high so that it is a good/hard practice guitar. There was absolutely no other problem with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think it can survive on the stage. I have gigged with it a handful of times without a backup & it didn't blow it. The worst experience I have had with it is during my grade 2 exam, the 1st string went out of tune. Everything else on the guitar like strap buttons, finish etc are well-built & made to last. // 9

Overall Impression: For my genre which is mostly metal, its good. I've been playing it for over 2 years & though I am about to buy an Ibanez RG2550Z Prestige, I would never sell it as I have emotions attached to it & it was my first electric guitar. If it was stolen I would have bought the X-2 or the X-6 but now as I said I am buying the Prestige, I wouldn't want 2 buy it again. // 8

X-1 Reviewed by: ParadiseCityGR, on september 08, 2011

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on BODY: Agathis NECK: Maple, Modern "U" Shape BINDING: n/a FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm) FRETS: 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm) SCALE: 25 1/2" (648mm) INLAY: White Dot TUNERS: Cap covered BRIDGE: EG7BV 6-screw Vintage Tremolo PICKUPS: EG4B (H-H) ELECTRONICS: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5way s/w HARDWARE: Chrome STRINGS: (042-009) Ive never made any adjustments than these of my own cause in my town all Guitar techs sux. // 6

Sound: I play Metal and the pickups although not good quality they have a very good sound for my style. Clean is not so good but still you can enjoy it.The only bad about the pickups is that they are a bit noisy. It would definetly be good for a begginer metsl player...! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was a bit messy at the setup.The pickups were good adjusted but the guitar went EASILY out of tune. I mean one bend=out of tune. That got me angry. The action is medium to low and I am very satisfied although I prefer FULL low action. My teacher had a Yamaha pacifica and it was like gold in my hands when playing this extra low action guitar. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is surely not for live playing as it will go out of tune after 1-2-3 songs. I have a crack in the connectors between the body and the neck but the guitar have suffered many falls in these 4 years so its build to last(Only for training though). Strap buttons are very solid. I never had any problem with these. This guitar is surely not to use in a gig without a backup and I wouldn't depend on it cause of the tune problem. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal and the sound is pretty good for a cheap guitar. I've been playing for 4 years and its sure that I deserve a better guitar. I usually use this with an old amplifier my grandad gave me (Firm:Driver) which has gain so its fits me well :)If I had it stolen I would surely not buy it again. The main thing I love is the paintwork (Bloody Punisher Style) and what I hate most is getting out of tune so easily. // 6

X-1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2012

Purchased from: Paul Bothner Music

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia in 2011, it has 24 basic dot frets, it has a great solid body that can handle quite alot of bangs and smashes. It has an Agathis body and Maple neck, this guitar has a matt finish which I prefer to glossy guitars. It has a Strat-like body. This guitar has floyd rose bridge and active pickups. It has one volume and one tone knobs, and It has EG4B pickups which are pretty much stock Cort pickups, but they do a really good job, the tuners are non locking and it came with a Cort soft bag. // 10

Sound: I play metal and this guitar suits my music style perfectly, the action is nice and low and it has a decent Vintage tremolo, I use a Roland Cube 20X with a Boss ML2 Metal Core Pedal, a Boss AC3 acoustic simulator pedal and a Vox whammy pedal and this guitar sounds great. The guitar isn't noisy at all really and for variety of sounds wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants to play things like jazz or classic rock, this guitar is just an easy shredding guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitars action is perfect in my opinion, nice and low, perfect for metal, the only problem I've had witht this guitar is that since I've had it, is that the input jack comes loose sometimes which can be very irritating. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has a great finish, its nice and solid, and could survive alot of bumps, the strap buttons are solid but I would still use strap locks, just to make sure the strap doesnt't come loose on stage, I would use this live and I'm pretty sure it would be able to withstand live playing, I would use a backup just incase something had to happen, but that's just me. // 8

Overall Impression: If it was stolen I would replace it because this guitar is so comfortable to play with because of its double cutaway. I love almost every aspect of this guitar and the only thing I hate is the loose input on my one. I wish it had a double locking tremolo but if you pay a little extra cash you can buy yourself the X-6 but I didn't like its paintjob, so I didn't. I've been playing for 3 years now and this guitar suits my every need. // 9

X-1 Reviewed by: wrijul, on july 26, 2012

Features: My Cort X-1 was made in Indonesia. Its a X-1 BK - Black colored, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, Canadian hard Maple neck, Agathis body, 6 screw Vintage tremolo, Powersound PSEG4-1F & PSEG4-1R (H-H) (passive) pickups. Volume and tone & 3-way selector. The finish is good, really loved it. // 9

Sound: I am mostly into heavy metal and I play Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, etc and the guitar sounds perfectly for what I play. I use Stranger Cube 80 amplifier and Zoom G1XN processor and the guitar sounds perfectly. But sometimes I find the guitar is having a buzzing noise when I plug it first time say for about a week. But after playing for about an hour the buzzing stops. Now the clean noise of the guitar is good, keeping in mind the genre of music I play, I am fully satisfied with the sound of this guitar. I've played it with Ibanez RG2550Z prestige and the Cort came out with flying colors. The fret board is great and smooth and one can easily shred using this guitar. But it doesn't sounds good up the neck specially at the 23rd and 24th frets of the first string. In short simply loved its sound considering the price one pays for the guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The overall finish and set up of the guitar is superb. Plus if someone goes by the design of the guitar at the price it comes, he'll surely rate it a perfect 10. Now I've been playing this guitar (Cort X-1) for about a year now but couldn't simply find a flaw in its action and fit n finish. So a perfect 10 for this Guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Now here comes the real lacking of this guitar. It will never withstand a long live gig because it goes out of tune after 1-2 songs, specially the solo strings. Its a great guitar for jamming but for long gigs its not at all suitable. The hardware is good (if not great) because the guitar fell for about 3-4 times and survived them. So surely it will last and with proper care it'll be there for a lifetime. The strap buttons are solid. I don't have any other guitar for gigs so after every song I have to check for the tune of the strings which is pretty much irritating. So for gigs always use a backup. Overall for its durability I would give it a perfect 10 but for the lack of reliability in gigs I would deduct 5 from it. So 5 for reliability and durability together. // 5

Overall Impression: Now for heavy metal and Rock music this is the perfect guitar you can dream about. It can surely take out other guitars at the price range it comes with flying colors. The sound is great. In distortion and clean it sounds awesome. Before buying do check out the volume and tone knob because mine volume knob was somewhat not smooth. But had it repaired. And now it works great. If the guitar were stolen/lost I would go for one of the Jackson King V or one of the Ibanez RGs. Though I love this guitar very much I would certainly like to move on to higher range guitars which would be reliable for gigs. As earlier stated I love everything this guitar offers (specially the sound) except its reliability. I compared it with Ibanez RG2550Z prestige and the sound it produces is compatible with the Ibanez. I chose it mainly because its touch, sound, finish and looks at the price it comes. I simply wish the guitar was a little reliable in gigs. So if you can compromise its reliability its "the" guitar for you. So deducting 3 for the lack of good reliability in gigs a 7 overall stars for this guitar. // 7

X-1 Reviewed by: CliffandSlash, on october 30, 2012

Purchased from: Music Works, New Zealand

Features: I'm not sure where it was made but it was made in Indonesia, 24 jumbo fret rosewood/maple neck, passive Cort humbucking pickups, superstrat bodystyle, 6 screw Vintage bridge, 1 volume and 1 tone control // 7

Sound: I usually play metal, Metallica, Pantera, Death etc and it suits them pretty well. I use a Laney 10 watt which is a very good amp for it's price. It would sound good but the pickups are pretty average. For a starting guitar I guess they're good but for palm muting etc some of the sound is lost and the pickups don't have enough sustain! But overall it's a pretty good sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I think the guitar was set up pretty well, (I don't really care about guitar setups, bass setup is where it's at!) One criticism I do have would be that one of the saddles collapsed but this was easily fixed with an Allen key haha. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is pretty durable. I've given it some hate and it still plays fine. The bridge and tone knob are my only criticisms here. The god-damn whammy bar snapped sending my teenage years into disarray and destroying my hopes and dreams as a guitar player. Just joking but seriously it was a bit of a drag seeing as if I wanted to buy a new bar, I'd probably need to get a new bridge, but I'm moving to bass so it doesn't really matter. And the tone knob was loose and you can easily take it off, but there is an easy fix to this, DON'T TAKE IT OFF! // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great starter guitar for the aspiring metal gods. I was playing for one and a half years when I got this guitar and it was and still is a bada-s guitar. I think if it had some more awesomer pickups (higher output) then it would be one hell of an awesome guitar. But I'm migrating to bass so it doesn't really matter. But for $300 NZD it was basically a steal. If it was ever stolen I don't think I'd buy it again, because as I said, I'm moving to bass HAHA.

// 7

X-1 Reviewed by: monsterkabouter, on november 26, 2012

Features: - Body: Agathis - Neck: Canadian Hard Maple (bolt on) - Fretboard: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm) - Frets: 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm) - Scale: 25 1/2" (648mm) - Inlay: White Dot - Tuners: Cap covered - Bridge: 6-screw Vintage Tremolo (strat style) - Pickups: Powersound PSEG4-1F & PSEG4-1R (H-H)(passive) - Electronics: 1 volume, 1 tone, 5way lever - Hardware: CR (Chrome) - Strings: (042-009) I bought the guitar mint secondhand, but it came with all the original accessories: picks, whammy bar, strap, gigbag. The picks are terribly thick, and the gigbag would offer little protection against anything more than scratches. Personally though I buy a guitar for the instrument itself, which is perfectly sorted. Great pickups for this price range. This is a honest, well built guitar. // 7

Sound: Let me start off by saying, this guitar is rock and metal orientated. A flat neck built for speed with 24 jumbo frets and two high output humbuckers, coupled with aggressive styling give this away. The pickups are well balanced in terms of frequency response as well as volume (one is not significantly louder than the other) but don't come looking for the ringing sweetness of single coil pickups. The clean tones are very reasonable, but because the guitar is intended to be used with high distortion levels it can sound a little bland dry. This however means that the X1 responds exceptionally well to gain, readily becoming driven. What I like most about this guitar, is that it produces a rich saturated sound at extreme levels of gain. I play it through a Peavey Rage 158 and a Boss metalzone pedal. I cut the high mids quite a bit to keep the sound listener friendly, and the amp's eq always flat. High notes ring long and clear, it sounds great heavily driven with a low noise to signal nature, but isn't very versatile in nature. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was high when I got it, but with my very basic luthering skills I lowered it easily enough. There are no build issues, the neck is mounted dead straight, the pickups line up with the strings, the tone and volume pots are sturdy, and the pickup selector switches silently. The tuning pegs somehow seem to be a little lightweight, if we're being pedantic. They stay in tune well, but when turning the keys it feels that they have some difficulty keeping the tension in check. This is just an impression. For the price, the quality is very good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have confidence in this guitar. There have been no electrical niggles, and the body is sturdy. The finish is brittle though, and where the neck joins to the body two tiny fractures have formed due to the natural give of the wood. But I mean tiny. Like nano-scale. There is no reason why the X1 can't be a working musician's career instrument. This is the first guitar I have owned that I don't have to worry about the strap coming off mid-breakdown. From experience I predict that after a number of hard years the tuners will be the first to go, but this is a reasonably simple fix. // 7

Overall Impression: A friend of mine bought the same guitar new as his first proper instrument, and he was very impressed. So when I saw this one up for sale I jumped at the opportunity. Initially I bought it because of the good price, keeping in mind that I could patiently wait for another buyer if I was not satisfied. However I became a big fan after a short while of seeing what it could do. I recommend the Cort X1 to any player looking for a reasonably priced good metal oriented guitar as well as novice players with a bit of cash. If you buy this for your first guitar you will have no need for a new "axe" for the foreseeable future. // 8

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ MR710F SE NAT 7.8 Acoustic Guitars 03/05/2014