X-2 SA Assassinator Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 05/21/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Cort: X-2 SA Assassinator
Overall the sound was great for metal. I really did like the neck, it was very thin and it was already smooth, just wood with no gloss.
 6.4
 3.6
review (1) pictures (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
X-2 SA Assassinator Reviewed by: sixchain, on may 21, 2012

Purchased from: Beyond Eleven

Features: This has a 24 jumbo fret maple "U" neck with a rose fretboard. The body is attached by a bolt-on style neck. The body itself is of basswood. There is a special edition graphic on this model, some call it the Assassinator or Steamborg. Its got a double cutaway style with all black hardware. The bridge is a full action. The electronics include two EG4B humbuckers (which I would do anything to get back), There is a volume and tone knob as well as a 3 way switch. // 8

Sound: With this guitar I play alot of Slipknot and Lamb Of God styled metal. It suits the heavier stuff well with throttled highs. The low sounds were constantly aggressive, allowing a slightly louder-than-normal buzz. That always drove me nuts but when you play it the buzz stopped abruptly. When I say throttled highs I mean aggressive yet very bassy. The only style that I could pull off on this was real heavy sh-t like "Surfacing" and "Laid To Rest" but when you can pull that stuff off it sounds awesome. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and finish was awesome. I checked it, neck was tight, finish was perfect, without a smudge even, it was already tuned to drop B and intonated to suit tuning. The only issue was the springs in the back, there were three back there but only two were properly positioned. After fixing that I plugged in and it roared! However when I played it unplugged, the tone sounded different and it was very dull, even when tuned to standard. The bridge was my favorite! You could drop it real low, not quite FR low, but it got down there man! It even allowed for the tremolo to be pulled back about a centimeter or 2, that small allowence made it jump at least a half step up. Surprisingly I only needed to tune it after every practice or two, it never went out noticeably, just a little flat but not enough to drop it even a 1/2 step. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My stepmother and I got into it and she ended up cracking this guitar by dropping it and kicking it. I was extremely dissapointed because it was in a descent padded case and was dropped on thick carpet. When I got the chance to check it, I was devistated to see a long crack from the bolt on area all the way down to the coverplate. Within 2 weeks it spiderwebbed. I was going to fix it but I didn't have the cash to do so. Although, the neck was very strong, I did a disasterous guitar flip and it ended up spearing into the grass head first, still in tune, not cracked, and the finish wasn't even scratched. If you want something pretty then pick this up because the finish is tough, but if you want to play a guitar go with something else. Most reliable thing about this guitar was the strap buttons, they were stock the whole tyme that I had this and they held well. // 3

Overall Impression: Overall the sound was great for metal. I not for metal or heavier blues then I'd suggest something else. I did eventually sell it and the only thing I would want back is the neck, bridge, and humbuckers, they were alright, but I wouldn't buy a new one. Like I said its got a great metal tone and I really did like the neck, it was very thin and it was already smooth, just wood with no gloss. I was going to buy an LTD but I didn't like the fretboard. This guitar has a nice smooth fretboard and neck, the LTD had a nasty gritty fretboard but a descent neck. Also I liked the graphic alot. If anything I'd want a maple or mahogany body and a floyd rose but that's it. // 6

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014