X-THT2 Review

6.6
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
X-THT2 Reviewed by: H8ed H3r0, on april 21, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I think mine was made in 2007 although I'm not sure and it was made in Korea. It's a 24 frets superstrat with a maple/bubinga neck with neck-thru construction. The body is made from a combination of mahogany, maple and bubinga with a natural wood finish which looks absolutely amazing i.m.o. It's Bridge is a simple string-thru body with no tremolo (which I personally prefer). It comes out with two EMG-HZ SRO pickups which are of course passive. The controls are straight forward, one volume and one tone pot with coil tap. It's tuners have no brand name and are non-locking but are of good quality and hold tune well. It also came with a Cort hard case which helps a lot especially when gigging. // 8

Sound: I play mostly hard rock with melodic metal influences. I was a bit disappointed by the sound of this guitar as the passive EMG SRO's are more suited for soft rock and country I.M.O as they have a relatively low output so I decided to swap the out for EMG-HZ H4 and H4A's and the guitar sound much more powerful now. I run it through a Boss GT-8 to a Marshall MG 100DFX.The original pickups were well potted and had very little noise even on high gain, the new pickups also have little to no noise except when coil tap is engaged. With the original pickups, it had an awesome clean tone an sounded good with some crunch overdrive, but like I said it didn't have the power I needed but for anyone who plays using clean tones or even blues I think this guitar would suite them right out of the box. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was very good from the factory and I didn't need have to make any changes. The guitar is very comfortable to play and is very light weight and ergonomic. This guitar is great for shredding as it has a very fast neck and the maple just feels brilliant. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing for 4 years now and have used it live, although I always use a backup! I replaced the strap buttons with strap locks as soon as I got it so I don't know how reliable the originals were although the looked decent . All the hardware seems solid, but I've only had this guitar for about six months so only time will tell. The finish is unpainted, but it seems as if it was treated (probably oiled) and is quite resistant to scratches. The paint is starting to wear off the pickup mounting ring screws as well as the Bridge screws, but I see that as normal wear and tear and gives it some character. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar looks like a metal machine although it didn't quite sound like one, but with a simple pickup swap I was able to fix that. If it were lost or stolen I would try to get another one although they seem rare. I love the looks of this guitar but I wish it came with some active EMG's instead of passives other than that I am very satisfied with it. I would give it an overall 10 but it can't make me coffee and it doesn't have facebook so I'm giving it an 8. // 8

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ VX-4V 9 Electric Guitars 07/25/2014