Z-Custom Review

8.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Z-Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2010

Purchased from: Bhargava's Music House

Features: Built in Indonesia, it features a single cutaway mahogany body with a quilted maple top, and a maple neck with Rosewood fretboard. Frets: 22/Large (2.7 mm) Scale: 24 3/4" (629mm) 2 volume controls, 1 tone, coil tap with 3-way toggle offer a variety of sounds. It has locking tuners, and a locking bridge with string-thru body. The stock pickups are Seymour Duncan, and I have never felt the need to replace them. The hardware is all gold and with a mother-of-pearl inlay on the 12th this guitar looks magnificent. // 9

Sound: The Z- Custom offers a versatility in tone that is unmatched by others in its price range. I play a wide variety of music and the Cort manages to live up to the standards I expect from each. The mid-tones are rich and powerful. Even as a great fan of metal music, I feel reluctant to Switch to distortion as the cleans are outstanding. Played just directly through a Roland Cube-30, it sounds just great. The sound is rich on most settings, and the coil tap and 3-way toggle allow for some beautiful tones. There is plenty of sustain, and there's practically no hum at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The instrument looks great. Pickups were well adjusted, and there was only a minimal error with the first fret that had to be adjusted- however that was not an issue. The action is a little lower than I look for, but with the quality of sound I was getting I preferred not to get it altered. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a very reliable instrument. The strap buttons are solid, the hardware is gold and has never given trouble, and the guitar has withstood plenty a gig without disappointing. The finish is thick, and the guitar stands up to a lot of playing without wearing. // 9

Overall Impression: For anyone with with wide tastes in music, the Cort Z- Custom would be my recommendation. It offers a surprising versatility in tone and the cleans are just beautiful. I play classical guitar as well, and I'm used to high action and a very wide fretboard, so this one did feel a little cramped; but it's no trouble to play and I didn't worry about this much (or at all). I've been playing for over four years, and this is one of the best instruments I have come across. For anything from blues to progressive to classic rock to metal, the Cort certainly performs better than its counterparts. I tried out a Greg Bennett or two, a PRS SE Custom, Ibanez, and a Fender Strat, but for my tastes and the price range, the Z- Custom was an easy decision. // 10

Z-Custom Reviewed by: hitman_47, on may 25, 2012

Features: - Construction: Set-in - Body: Mahogany with Quilted Maple Top - Neck: 3pc Canadian Maple - Fretboard: Rosewood, 12" Radius (305mm) - Frets: 22 / Large (2.7mm) - Scale: 24 3/4" (629mm) - Inlay: "Z" Mother of Pearl - Tuners: Locking - Bridge: TonePros Lic. Bridge with string through Body - Pickups: Seymour Duncan SH1 ('59) & SH4 (JB) (H-H) - Electronics: 2 volume, 1 tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle - Hardware: GD (Gold) - Strings: D'Addario EXL110 (046-010) Came along with a gig bag, a set of picks. // 10

Sound: The tone is out of this world! The pick ups are absolutely awesome! I have an Aria STG-6 which is a decent guitar for the money, but there were a whole host of tones I couldn't get with that guitar. I play through a Boss GT-10/Spider 4 setup. There were some mellow clean tones that the Aria couldn't get but this thing nails! The tone is well defined (I can hear the individual notes while playing 7th chords), clear, articulate. That's the biggest reason I got this guitar. Distorted, this guitar is great. The sound is full, rich, hits you right in the gut. Love the tones man! It is also really quiet. You're on a distorted patch with the amp turned up and its absolutely quiet. I mean, nada. I'm into Blues, Jazz, Rock; it covers the tones I want flawlessly. I've been playing for about 4 years now, have had a Blues/psy Rock band in which I played lead and made decent money. The tones I get are great! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is quite low right out of the box. I did get it set up at the store so its setup right for the moment. Pickups are perfect for now, and the guitar is really well made. I couldn't find any flaws though I looked before I bought it. The wood is absolutely beautiful. The quilted top looks great! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a reliable instrument. I can definitely gig with it. The hardware is solid; locking tuners and all look like they'll last a while. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar works for me. Like I said, I've been playing for about 4 years now, have had a band that made enough money for me to buy all my gear. I usually play through a GT-10/Spider 4 rig. I would get this instrument again. The coil split this guitar has is really nice. I can go from Staind/Tool tones to David Gilmore in a heart beat with the coil tap. The other guitars I was looking at ranged from Ibanez Artcore series, PRS SE Singlecut/Tremonti, Gibson SG, a few Strats and Teles. I almost got the Singlecut, but I'm glad this just worked out in the end! // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 7.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014