Cruiser CJ400 Review

manufacturer: Crafter date: 02/22/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Crafter: Cruiser CJ400
These Crafter Cruiser CJ400 electric guitars feature solid shaped body with metallic finish, bolt on neck joint, 2 humbucking pickups, 1 single coil pickup, 1 tone, 1 volume controls, non locking tremolo, 5-way pickup selector, 6 inline cast machineheads.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.7
 8.2
 8.3
reviews (3) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Cruiser CJ400 Reviewed by: wa1nut, on january 04, 2006

Purchased from: eBay.com

Features: Made in China. Stays in tune for a very long time! Engraved company name in machine heads with the head itself impressive with the silver writing and red dot on the Ibanez style. Came with leads, but bought a union jack strap and 15W amp from eBay also. It came up to 110 altogether worth around 190 on online shops. // 9

Sound: Every style sound possible, sat here for 1 hour playing with the features and selector switches and the hum bucker pickups show off the nice dirty distortion. It also sounds beautiful when not rigged to an amp, with just a bit of tinkering and volume it comes close to an acoustic sound whilst staying very clean. The low E string however seems to rattle a bit when strung or picked too hard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Very nice and smooth, the next is a nice light hard wood with a maple slab on top but this give it class as the two woods look as if they belong together and you cannot feel the dent of which I guess they were glued to each other and the dots are all in the right places. The head I am proud of with the nice shape and craftsmanship. Nothing has broken off it, yet and nothing had to be altered, although new from eBay as it had all the plastic covering on the back and on the head still on it could have been altered. Only thing I have a problem is how fast it picks up dust! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I play at home mostly but so far I seem to have knocked it around in my bedroom and no visual problems. The hardware is very sturdy as I have seen guitar with a lot of plastic all over it for knobs and stuff, however this is metal and is properly screwed on. The strap buttons are solid with nice cushioning wool around them, as I have said the strap I got is union jack and you cannot see the wool at all unless you put it in your eye. // 8

Overall Impression: I play old rock to new rock and maybe some metal and I've even tried playing a banjo song on it and it sounds brilliant, I can pull off a nice wild thing sound to some banjo sound by altering the pitch. Playing for a while and I'm learning (aren't we all) only other gear has been an acoustic. I would buy it again if I had the money and it got lost, or the Crafter Cruiser RG600, one of the two. I love the neck and the head, it looks like Crafter spent time on designing it and not just copying a famous brand with no personalisation like the squire! The front could be a little more revealing with some sort of feature, I don't know! I compared it to the Stagg Strat the Squire and many more on eBay then googling the items for a demo, I knew Ibanez was a good make so I went for one with similar pickups and looks. // 9

Cruiser CJ400 Reviewed by: AntPain, on june 02, 2008

Features: For a first guitar, I love it. Mine is Jet Black with a white fingerboard but the chrome hard ware still make look like an expensive guitar. A maple neck ties in with the body really nicely. It electronics include having one volume to tones and a 5 way selector so you have a good amount control on the sound. // 9

Sound: I don't know exactly why but this guitar gives a more acoustic sound compared to normal electric guitars, which suits me pretty well as I prefer to play softer rock like Muse and greenday. However with the right amp and chords it can give a gritty metal sound that's perfect for when you want to pull out some power chords. To be honest though, it doesn't have that much variety on sound and you have to get an effects pedal to really make much of a difference. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The 'Cruiser' has a classic Strato caster shape which means it's got a nice shape for standing or sitting when playing.I have never attempted to adjust my pickups but from having a look at how them come off I would say that they would be moved very easily. But, one thing about it is that is constantly needs to be retuned no matter were you put it- gig bag, standing up, laying down. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have had this guitar fr about 6 months and have not even had a string break and I play on it everyday. I have evn dropped it on it neck of a table and it did no damage. Basically you can't go wrong with this guitar durability as it is outstanding. It's strap buttons hold the strap on pretty tight I have never had any trouble with them what'soever. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier, I play mostly sofeter rock so this guitar is really good for that style of music but lacks the rugged power needed for metal. The only thing that would make this really good is an expensive effects pedal. that's it only real flaw- that there's not much flexibilty with sounds it can make. // 8

Cruiser CJ400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2012

Purchased from: ebay.com

Features: Produced in Japan, this guitar has 22 medium frets set on a maple neck with a rosewood backing which suits it well in my opinion as they look great together. Mine came in metallic blue which I like the look of but I think a pickguard would suit it brilliantly, it is the classic Strat shape so it is really comfortable whether sitting down or standing, it has a volume knob and a tone knob aswell as a 5-way selector so it has a good range of sounds to suit your style. Mine came with a gig bag, lead, amp and strap. // 8

Sound: I am a big fan of rock but I often drift into metal music styles and this guitar suits it brilliantly because of its many sound settings. It also sounds nice on its own without the amp. I can get really good sounding power chords off this guitar as it has a gritty sound to it but also, at a flick of a switch, I can make some sweet sounding solos (hammer-ons and pull-off etc.) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is very well put together, I cannot feel the glue line where the maple and rosewood join to make the neck, it is screwed to the body and very strong (I have knocked it around on many occasions and even dropped it on its neck but there are next to no marks whatsoever). The only flaw that comes to mind is that the low E string, when played a little to hard, hits the neck or one of the fret markers and makes an annoying rattle noise. Other than that I haven't found anything else wrong with it in the year I have had it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have no doubt this guitar will withstand live playing as it is a very hardy piece of kit, the hardware hasn't changed in the slightest since I got it, the strap buttons hold the strap very well as it hasn't fallen off me ever. I feel I could depend on it in a gig, I play with it every week in my band and it hasn't failed me yet. The finish it great, I have knocked the body into things when I've got a little carried away with playing and there are no chips in the bodywork and no scuffs in the paintwork. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this this a great beginners guitar, I love it and I've had it just over a year yet I still haven't got bored of it. The only thing I would recommend is to buy a separate amp, the one I've got that came with it (a Crafter CR-10G 12 watt amp) is a bit weak compared to my friends 10 watt amp despite the higher power. I would be gutted if it got stolen or lost as I have no doubt it has a good re-sale value as I have an Ibanez SA260FM on the way. I love pretty much everything about this guitar although, I wish it had a white pickguard. // 8

More Crafter reviews rating category latest review
+ ST-120BK 6.7 Electric Guitars 12/09/2011