Cruiser LJ550 Review

manufacturer: Crafter date: 10/19/2007 category: Electric Guitars
A fantastic electric guitar from Crafter within the Cruiser LJ550 Series. Choice of body colours with smooth contoured lines the LJ550 is a superb guitar built with the usual care and high standard of Crafter at a superb price.
 7.9
 7.8
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Cruiser LJ550 Reviewed by: SOADplayer2, on october 19, 2007

Purchased from: Allegro Music Store

Features: I have no idea where this guitar was made, it has the Standard 22 jumbo frets in a solid top design. The necks are made of maple and the body is made of basswood. The fingerboard is made of rosewood. it's finished with a typical sunburst effect with 2 cutaways. The controls are a 2v+1t+3-way selector and it has 2 Standard pickups. It also came with a Stagg soft case, a Korg tuner, a cable, a strap and a 10 watt Ibanez amp. All for 170. // 8

Sound: Overall this is a guitar designed for beginners. It's fairly baisc and shows reasonable results when playing any type of music. I've had this down in drop B playing Slipknot and it's been fine, even with it's basic tuning system. I use my Ibanez amp with it and it gives a fairly nice sound for anything from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Slipknot. If going for something more metalcore, like Bullet For My valentine, I set the pickup selector to treble and alter the tone on my amp. For anything else, having it midway is fine. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar straight off the shelf at the shop so I don't really know what the factory set-up is like. The pickups were at the right height when I got it and it was all setup perfectly, just a matter of tuning. From what I remember there were no flaws in the finish, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would have noticed straight away. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar might withstand a few Live shows but I wouldn't bet on it to last long onstage, although I've been shredding on it in my room for a year and it's never had any problems other than a few snapped strings. The strap buttons are solid, the only problem I've have a strap was with the strap itself. If possible I would definately try to get a backup for a gig but it is possible that this one would make it through the gig on one piece. It's very durable for what you pay, as can be seen by my lack of problems with it over the course of a year. // 8

Overall Impression: I play more metal and metalcore now and I am looking at getting a new guitar soon. This guitar is, however, very good for beginners due to it's ability to play anything reasonably and it's durabilty. If this was lost or stolen, I would not buy it again but that's only because I've found a specific type of music that I enjoy playing and I'd get a guitar designed specifcally for that genre, ie metal. There's not reaaly anything more I could ask of this guitar, it does so much more than I would have expected any similar guitar to ever do. // 9

More Crafter reviews rating category latest review
+ Cruiser CJ400 8.2 Electric Guitars 02/22/2012