Cruiser RG600 Review

manufacturer: Crafter date: 06/30/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Solid hardwood rock; guitar in metallic black. 2 humbucker pickups with 3-way selector. Rosewood fingerboard with dot markers. Fixed chrome tailpiece. Die-cast chrome tuners.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 7.9
reviews (5) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Cruiser RG600 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2006

Purchased from: Argos

Features: 22 frets, matt black gloss finish, 2x humbucker pickups, volume control, 3-way pickup selector, tone control, non locking tuners and made in China. Very cool shape, almost Flying V/Explorer shape. Could maybe use another single pickup. // 8

Sound: Great for palm mutting because the action is high without a pick guard. The strings are maybe a bit close together for alternate picking, but after a while you get used to it. Finger tapping also becomes a slight annoyance because of catching other strings, but practice gets through this. The strings dont rattle at all, and it gives a very cool dark distortion sound through my Marshall MG50. Its clean sound is almost acoustic which is great when playing Metallica and switching to distortion in Sanitarium or One. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was slightly too high and some notes were out of tune on the higher frets, but with 2 minutes of fiddling it was fine. Pickups were fine and still are, I haven't had to change any of them. Bridge was perfect, I couldn't have asked for any more. There are some small points on the back where the plastic has come out of the mould in manufacture, but you can hardly notice it. I didn't for 3 months. The guitar is really well built overall but the volume control is a bit loose and feels as if it could do with being tightened slightly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It doesn't go out of tune fast and I play lots of fast riffs where the guitar usually ends up worse off, but the Crafter is very good at taking punishment. When I pick it up it only need very slight tuning adjustments and I never need a tuner. It's well built and has lasted me over a year already without ever failing. I'd happily trust it to a Gig at hyde park. The finish is plastic and hasnt managed to wear off except where I accidentally hit it quite hard on a desk once, but the amount of plastic that came off was minimal. I can see myself keepint this guitar well into the future. // 9

Overall Impression: I play death metal and black metal mostly but I also enjoy playing metal sometimes like Metallica (one of my favorite bands). I always use either my Marshall MG50 (concerts, home) or my Fender 15G (travelling) and both sound great with the Crafter, far better than my Ibanez it has to be said. I might not buy the same guitar again if it was stolen, but I'd definatly consider buying a differnt Crafter, simply because this guitar is great value for money and does practically everything I could want it to do. I do maybe wish it had 2 more frets because 22 can get annoying in some solos where 26 is needed but for pure rhythm guitaring this guitar is great. // 10

Cruiser RG600 Reviewed by: Kazaza, on june 18, 2010

Purchased from: Harrow music shop

Features: This was the second guitar I ever bought, I still use it as a backup guitar 4 years on and I still love it. The tuners are amazing considering it was 100, they stay in tune longer then some guitars with a liscenced Floyd Rose bridge that I've used. The neck is great for beginners as it's small radius and low string height make it great for speed playing. I got mine in a matte black finish and people are still blown away by it. For me, the coolest thing is the electronics, it lasts for years (unlike many of the other cheaper branded guitars) and the input jack is stereo (great for active pickups). // 8

Sound: Loads of people give this a high sound rating, but I really disagree. If you have a solid state amp like a Marshall DGFX100 or a modeling amp like a Line 6 Spider III, this guitar sounds great, but, imo, so does every other guitar. If you place this in a tube amp setup, the pickups leave something to desire. TO be fair I think they still have a very good presence for clean playing, but when used in high gain stuff (which is what the guitar looks to be designed for) the pickups give off a harsh and treble sound that can only be described as a wah-wah pedal on full forward. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar really shines, I love the feel of it and although I've adjusted it myself several times in the past, the factory setup was great. The best thing is that the string height can be placed ridiculously low, so sweep picking becomes even easier. There is one problem, however, the high E string gets dampened by the poorly cut nut underneath the headstock. It's easily amended, but annoying as hell. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is SOLID for a beginners guitar and I'd reccommended it to anyone as a backup. I've dropped it and hit it so many times and it's still as hard as rocks. The hardware has all lasted and so has the electronics (even though I'm going to change them soon). The only problem I've had is with the strap-locks, they've come out and left a massive hole behind, so I'm going to have to fill them with epoxy resin. Another minor problem I've had is the finish, it wears off very easily because it is matt and a lot of the corners are now bare wood. // 8

Overall Impression: I play heavy/thrash/melodic death/death metal and I have to say this guitar is excellent. It doesn't come with the best stock pick ups, neither do the strap buttons live long. But considering I got it for 100 it's amazing and I prefer it to some of my Ibanez guitars which are 300. What's amazing is the way this body was routed, no scuff marks or anything. Definitely an amazing guitar, but if it was stolen I wouldn't buy another because only this guitar reminds me of my first gigs and practices. Plus, I wouldn't let this guitar be stolen. // 8

Cruiser RG600 Reviewed by: braincell, on december 06, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I bought this guitar on ebay 2 years ago, and have never had a problem with it since. The guitar was made in china, but I'm not sure what year. The guitar features 22 frets, a metallic black finish, a rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, and a bolt on maple neck. It has 2 humbuckers which sound great, a 3 way pickup selector, and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It only offers one volume control and one tone control, which is a bit of a shame but no big deal as I prefer two of each on guitars. // 9

Sound: I mostly play rock, occasionally metal and ska (Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond style music), and all of these sound fantastic, especially with ska, because it gives a rich and mellow sound, especially when transferring between d and g strings. I play my guitar through a tiny (embarrasing as everyone says they have Marshall 30W's) 10W Johnson, though it may be small, gives a great warm sound, and a nice distortion, but it can tend to get a bit crackly on a higher volume. For gigs I borrow my friend's amp. There is a pretty good variety of play for this guitar, as I have stated above, and it can sound as clean and as dirty as you want. I also have a DigiTech RP50 fx pedal, with a built in drum machine, which is good for home practice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it this was my first electric (and my only electric, I am buying a Gibson LP for christmas), and having bought it on ebay, the person I bought it from didn't seem to know how to set up or play a guitar. The action was way too high, but my naivety didn't realise this for a month or so until I lowered it. My bottom pick up was (and still is) very high, but plays nice and doesn't affect any strumming, so there is no problem for me with that. What with it being a funny shaped guitar, n I do tend to knock it, especially when putting it back onto my wall hanger, but it has sustained well. There is quite a big chip on the bottom sticky out bit, which is expectable with a guitar like this one. My tuning pegs are good, but what with bending my high E string (David Gilmour's fault, he wrote the music) up 2/3 frets, it can wear down and go out of tune. But overall I only have to tune the strings slightly every time, so they do hold up well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: the hardware on my guitar is pretty much flawless, whether the previous owner worked on it or not I don't know, but the hardware is fine. The strap buttons are! To be frank, the top buttons always slips my strap, which is soooo annoying when playing at a small gig because your guitar drops and you have to pause and go and sit down for the rest of the song and play, which is bloody annoying, and I have ordered some strap locks for it. Looking at my guitar in the right light, there are tonnes of plectrum stracthes during those long and hardand fast riffs, but nothing seems to be wearing off yet, after two years of playing it is ok! For the bigger gigs I would definitely use it as a back up. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for anyone wanting to play, from beginners to intermediate, and if it was stolen/lost I would with no hesitation buy another one, simply because of my love for it. It is kind of like a childs favourite teddy, because as it grows old and gets worn and ragged the kid still thinks it's the greatest thing in the world. What I didn't like aboutit was the action was about a centimetre off the fretboard, which was annoying but easily adjustable. Fantastic value for money, and if someone reading this is researching on it, buy it, you will not regret it! // 10

Cruiser RG600 Reviewed by: Metal_Rich, on august 20, 2007

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Made in China, not sure what year. 22 frets and a black finish. Explorer style shape, but more spikey. Standard bridge with out a trem. I bought it on it's own second hand for a very cheap price. It's noticeably very light, which is brilliant for me as I had to take it to school and back for practices. Could use a trem and 24 frets wouldn't hurt. // 9

Sound: I play all kinds of genres, but mainly metal. It is well suited for metal, I often play Megadeth, Metallica, Opeth, and Machine Head on it. I have been using a Marshall MG15CD amp, and a Zoom G2 multi FX pedal. Before I got my pedal I had no noise reduction on my amp, yet it was very quiet and only produced feedback when standing too close to the amp with high gain. it's clean tone sounds bright and full, when I have recorded with it my friends have mistaken it for an acoustic! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is brilliant, I have never had any trouble with it, and the pick ups are the same. The bridge is perfect, it's very good for palm muting. Because the guitar was second hand, it came with some scratches, but that was most likely the original owners fault. Very well put together. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to play this guitar live, but I cannot see what could go wrong, as I have dropped it a few times and it has detuned slightly but had no serious damage. I would gladly play it without a backup. The hardware is built to last although the volume knob is slightly loose. The strap buttons are very strong, and the finish has yet to thin even slightly. // 9

Overall Impression: Mainly playing metal, this guitar feels, sounds and looks the part. I've been playing it for a year and a half, and will not need a new guitar for a very long time. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably buy a new guitar, as this is my first guitar and I would like to eventually buy a new one. I love this guitar because it is perfect for me, I have yet to play a guitar that isn't over 1000 that feels and sounds nicer than this one. The only thing that I wish it had is a tremolo bar, but even then I would probably use it more for messing around then using seriously. // 9

Cruiser RG600 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 30, 2010

Features: 22 fret bolt on maple neck, large frets and rosewood fingerboard. It has a solid basswood body, thin metal shape, two huncucking pickups with master volume and tone dials and a three way switch, and a Standard tune-o-matic bridge with stop bar. The tuners are non locking, but good, and as normal for a guitar in this price range, it is all non branded hardware. // 7

Sound: I play a range of music from heavy metal, death metal, nu metal, blues and classic rock, and this guitar is a decent hold up to much more expensive models, especially in the metal area. The pickups are very good for the kind of cheap Standard you would expect, the bridge is very clear for metal, while the neck pickup, coupled with the sustain given by the body shape, is decent for calmer, more rocky or bluesy material. Recently I replaced the pickups with a pair of hex poled humbuckers which are REALLY good and bring out the best of the metal nature of this guitar. I play mainly through Line 6 amps and overall tha guitar gives a good sound for many styles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar second hand but in tip top condition, absolutely blemish free. When I got it the tone pot was crackly, and after messing around with the wiring connections for five minutes I just decided to replace it, that kind of thing can happen with even the highest level guitars anyway, and I wasn't fussed at all. Apart from that there were no problems, the action is low with no fret buzz at all, clearly the owner before me had kept good care of it and it was very playable. The neck in particular is a talking point. It is thin and pretty much as fast as the kind of neck you would expect to find on a Jackson Randy Rhodes. The fretboard is gently radiused and smooth which makes playability very good, meaning you really can get the most of it. The finish is a metalic black, even, and looks great. I have recently replaced all the harware: tuners, bridge, control knobs etc, with black equivalents, but that was purely a cosmetic thing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This was my first guitar, bought several years ago, I haven't ever gigged it because when time came that I was confident enough to play in front of other people I had moved on to my next. I have kept playing it though, and have thrown it around a lot, so I think that now I would be comfortable gigging it. There have never been issues with the durability of any of the hardware, and in terms of the finish, in years of playing it has developed one ding and a tiny bit of wear to the horn, so I can applaud the durability of the finish. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for several years, and own many other guitars including a Gibson SG, an Ibanez SAS36, Vintage VR100 and others. In total my Cruiser holds its own against the sound of the Ibanez and the playability of the Gibson. Obviously it is not up to their build quality or overall tone, but for the price range it is fantastic. My first guitar, so it clearly has special importance, but even despite that, I think its a great low end guitar, perfect for customising as well. // 8

More Crafter reviews rating category latest review
+ Cruiser CJ400 8.2 Electric Guitars 02/22/2012