ST-120BK Review

7.8
 5.5
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
ST-120BK Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2006

Features: This guitar was made in 2001 in Korea. It has 22 frets and rosewood fingerboard. It is a solid top. The boody is a solid hardwood and the neck is maple and it is a bolt-on. The bodystyle is Like a Fender Strat. The bridge style is a Vintage tremelo bridge. It has 2 tone controls and 1 volume control it has a 5-way selector. It has 3 single coil pickups. The tuners are Diecast economy chrome. The one I got came with a case, strap, cable, picks, and a Peavey Backstage amp. // 7

Sound: At first when I first played it I notice it had a good acoustic sound good for blues and rock. I mostly play metal so I changed the bottom single coil into a humbucker. I use it through my Boss Metal Zone on my Crate GLX amp. It gets a little hum when it is turned up loud. Hit has a full sound like an acoustic guitar on the neck or middle pickup. It has a good sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good I just had to fix a it a little. The pickups were adjusted perfectly so you could here teh sound good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I dropped this guitar alot of times and it still works. The hardware will last the only thing that you might have to do is fix the strap buttons you should probably use this as a backup or a practice guitar. The finish is very good it takes alot to make it come off like by dropping it and chippng some off. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues, rock, metal, and country and it pretty much suits most exept metal. I have been paying for over 8 years now and this guitar still seems like a good guitar use when you are playing it is a great guitar I just hope crater sees this so they could send me a Cruiser RG-600/M.BK. // 8

ST-120BK Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 09, 2011

Purchased from: Dealer

Features: The guitar is brand new, factory made. It's a Koreean model. The standard 22 fret, 3 knobs, 2 volume 1 tone. The standard single coil. The bridge its just a standard cheap one. It looks like an ordinary strat, nothing to say here. Hard basswood body, maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard. I liked the rosewood, it has a nice color. Rather what I've seen on other cheap strats this one is very nice. It came with a tremolo bar, straps, a set of strings ( buy new strings after you get the guitar, the standard ones are too standard), a set of picks, and the usual cable for the amp. // 8

Sound: To be honest I play blues, hard rock, and thrash. When I bought it, I gave it a try. On the clear channel sounds great. Nice acoustics. The middle and bridge pick up are ok. I've tested a lot of cheap guitars but this one seems very nice. The only thing that bothered me was the usual hum. When I tried the distortion channel, there was a lot of feedback in my amp, so the sound is a bit muddy, but it's ok for a beginner. You can play very well some hard rock but not metal. I've changed the bottom single coil with a single like Duncan Seymour humbucker, for a nice tone and the rest with DiMarizio. Now it sounds like hell, screams loud, no problem with the noise or feedback. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory action was a bit high, no problem with that, I fixed it in 5 minutes. Pickups were ok adjusted, the bridge pup was a bit high. The finish was great, I got my guitar with a red cherry finish. The paint is very good, very shinny. The bridge new, chromed like color. Not a single rust spot. Everything came in order. The only thing that disappoints me is that the frets are a bit too rough. Not a good finish. It feels a bit cheap on the first hand. After a while you get used to it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: To be honest, it passed 4 moths since I got the guitar, no scratches, no nothing. The paint job is very grate. Even the bridge not a single rust spot. The strap buttons are ok, pretty solid, I guess it could withstand a lot of stress. // 10

Overall Impression: After i changed the stock pups, with the new ones it sound very ok. I can play thrash with no problems. I've tried a lot of cheap guitars but this on shines above all. In order to have something worthy, you have to spend some money. I would recommend it for beginners. The stock pups are ok and the guitar can cope with every sound, except metal. But still between my Gibson Flying V and this one,... You guessed, I would choose the Gibson. Like I said it's good for beginners. I has some good quality. // 7

More Crafter reviews rating category latest review
+ Cruiser CJ400 8.2 Electric Guitars 02/22/2012