ST-200 Review

manufacturer: Cruiser date: 01/07/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Cruiser: ST-200
This Guitar is a great value and at this price would suite both beginners and intermediate players. It is fitted with die cast tunning heads has a rosewood fingerboard and maple neck with 22 Jumbo frets.
 8.2
 9.2
 7.2
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
ST-200 Reviewed by: dapaz, on january 07, 2008

Purchased from: Kitts Music

Features: I'm pretty sure this is a 2007 model, made in China (but I just ripped off and rolled up the "made in" sticker so it might have been Korean made. It's got 22 jumbo frets and 25 1/2" scale on a bolt on neck. The body is made of basswood, the neck is maple, and the fingerboard is rosewood. This model has a three tone sunburst, Strat type body. The bridge is a simple Vintage chrome tremolo. Pickups are passive; single coils in the neck and middle positions and a humbucker in the bridge. 1 volume, 2 tone, 5 way selector. Tuners are stock Crafters, and they aren't locking. I got a gig-bag with it, but that was from Kitts. // 9

Sound: This guitar is good for everything. You can get the classic Strat tone from the neck and middle pickups and when you need a heavier, distorted sound you can hit the humbucker in the bridge position. The only genre that it has a slight limitation to is heavy metal. It's not really noisy, but if you leave it on the singles by themselves, there's a slight buzz, but that's just because they're singles. It makes pretty much any sound, all the time, the only limitation is set to which pickups you have selected. It has a really rich, bright sound. An absolute pleasure to hear. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not too sure about the factory set up. It was adjusted before I ever picked it up. The pickup height was well adjusted, but that didn't really matter since I had to raise them to remove the plastic coverings. I haven't found any flaws so far. Everything is exactly how it's supposed to be. The intonation is great and the action is at the optimal height. The finish was also flawless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It should withstand a Live playing and the hardware is pretty decent. It seems durable. Strap buttons are solid and well placed (yaaay no falling strap =]) The finish also looks like it's made to last (at least it's a gloss finish, my Warlock WAS matte, now the corner where my arm rests is shiny as hell). Looks dependable, but I don't suggest bringing a $150 guitar to a gig without a backup, if anything this one would be the replacement. // 9

Overall Impression: As aforementioned, I play everything and this guitar suits almost every playing style so it's great. I've been playing for 6 or 7 years and I own a Boss RC-2 Loop Station, MT-2 Metal Zone, RP100A Artist DigiTech Multi-effect and a Crybaby Wah. I've another 6 guitars; B.C. Rich Warlock, Squier Strat, Ibanez EWC30 acoustic, Segovia 12-string, and another Ibanez Gio, and a Yamaha classical. I actually bought this one for my girlfriend (first guitar), so I wanted it to be versatile. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy another one. I love the sound the most. The tone is great. This one is equal if not superior to my Squier, and for half the price. The value of this thing is great. The only thing that's missing is a locking trem, and I wish it came with a trem bar, but since it's not locking it's not worth the detune. // 9

More Cruiser reviews rating category latest review
+ RV800 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/17/2009