TE-2 Review

manufacturer: Custom Guitar Workshop date: 08/26/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Custom Guitar Workshop: TE-2
 6.9
 6.8
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
TE-2 Reviewed by: fantasyman99, on august 26, 2014

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: eBayTh

Features: I'm not sure when this guitar was made, maybe between 2011 and 2013. It has 21 medium jumbo frets with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. The finish is white, almost pearlescent. This particular model is a knock-off from a Telecaster so it has the same body shape/style. The bridge is just Tele-style. Pickups are passive like most Telecaster type guitars, with the typical 3 way switch and a volume knob and tone knob. The tuners are called Kluson tuners, I've never heard of them before but they seem decent. // 7

Sound: It suits my music style very well, as I play blues, rock and metal. For a knockoff guitar it has quite impressive pickups so it plays well for blues and rock. If you really wanted to play metal with one of these you'd probably have to get some kind of heavy distortion pedal. Right now my main amp is a Marshall MG 30FX (haha laugh all you want) and a Boss ME-70. I find that the best sound comes out of the neck pickup. The TE-2 can make sounds from Stevie to Tom Morello if accompanied by the right equipment. For the price I paid, I believe that it is quite a bargain. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately, the TE-2 wasn't set-up crash hot from the factory. The action is very, very low. Making it almost unplayable, I think the only thing that has helped with mine is just a fraction of wear on the frets to make some room. When I did try to adjust the truss rod, the hex key couldn't catch because the truss rod end is just a circle. I might be using the wrong tool, and if anyone could help me out on this, if you could post in the comments thank you. This guitar was brand new when I bought it so it didn't have any blemishes or rust, the controls were fine also. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this guitar before and it played fine even with the slight fret buzz. With a few tweaks the hardware is definitely fit to last. I'm actually quite surprised about the strap buttons, they're very solid and have never come loose. The finish is fit to last, and so is this guitar. Within the first week I got it I swung it into a wall by accident and there wasn't a scratch on where I hit it. The only problem that has a slight concern is the fit for the neck. It isn't flush with the join, easily fitting a standard pick in the gap. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 6 years now, and I would definitely recommend this to a beginner. I love that the sound, but I hate the setup from the factory, they need to do something about that. If this thing was up against an American Standard, it wouldn't stand a chance, however, who wants to spend more than a thousand dollars to get a guitar that's more or less the same thing? If it were stolen, I would probably go for a MIJ Tele, I wouldn't be to disheartened because it is an absolute bargain. Like I said before, the action was not the best, if it were , this guitar would be trick. // 8

More Custom Guitar Workshop reviews rating category latest review