TE-3 Review

manufacturer: Custom Guitar Workshop date: 09/27/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Custom Guitar Workshop: TE-3
2010 Model, semi-hollow Tele style, Made in Korea. Has 21 medium jumbo frets, 648mm scale, bone nut typical Tele/Strat neck, one piece maple with a maple cap, American basswood body, clear finish.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 7.1
 8.4
 5.7
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
TE-3 Reviewed by: ketchil52, on march 08, 2011

Purchased from: Custom Guitar Workshop

Features: 2010 Model, semi-hollow Tele style, Made in Korea. I paid $275.00 for it new on Ebay direct from the manufacturer, but they retail for around $590.00. Has 21 medium jumbo frets, 648mm scale, bone nut typical Tele/Strat neck, one piece maple with a maple cap, American basswood body, clear finish, HardTail Bridge with 6 x offset saddles, all chrome bridge, tuners, saddles and pickup selector, black scratchplate and knob on 3-way p-up selector, GW Tele pickups (MIK). Looks just like a telecaster. Nothing else included. // 9

Sound: Well - I was impressed. Sounded like a real Tele - neck had that Stratty/Tele sound quite warm and Bridge was pretty true to what you would expect. Everything worked fine, no noise, great sound clean or overdriven. I swapped out the GW stock p-ups (which I believe are GFS "Vintage" Tele's) for Fender Custom Shop No-Caster ones and must say the were not as much better than I thought they would be so I'd give it an 8 with the original p-ups. Mind you the No-Casters do take it to a better place. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Again, I was impressed, the action was as close to perfect as you could hope for, low with NO buzz. A little minor adjustment by me for me was all it needed. The frets were well finished up and down the board, clean smooth edges and nicely polished, the neck felt great to wrap your hand around, is very straight with good tone acoustically, and quite fast too. The finish was almost PERFECT but for the F-Hole which needed sanding to smooth it out. Took me about 10min with very light grade sandpaper. I would have given it a 10 but for the F-Hole. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very well built. The Koreans know how to make good quality guitars for hard earn't small bucks. I gig with it regularly and practice with it a lot. I got it to use while my 73 Thinline was being repaired and love it. Once I got the Thinline back I boxed it (ie the Thinline) and put it away prefering to play this little baby, because I can transition to Strat very easliy. Had it over a year and there are no probs, apart from usual bumps and scratches. Holds tune very well, easy to intonate and change strings etc... nothing not to like. // 9

Overall Impression: I play 50-80's rock, through my Marshall JCM800 and 2x12 which I've had since about 1980, so I'm an old rocker - and still loving it. I had actually tried a few "cheapies" in various guitar shops, including the Squire Affinity, SX Thinline, and some others, but bought this on spec because of good comments I'd heard on the vine, and am not dissapointed. She's a keeper as far as I am concerned. I was so impressed I bought a couple of their other models as well, all of which have not dissapointed me at all. Well done Custom Guitar Workshop. // 9

TE-3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2011

Price paid: A$ 260

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I lifted this info from Life music's eBay listing: RRP $590 by Custom Guitar Workshop Body: Semi hollow american basswood Neck: bolt on Hard Maple Fingerboard: Maple Inlays: MM Black Pearl Dot Bridge: Vintage Finish: blue/black Machines: Kluson Pickups: GW TC pickups Controls: Single Volume Single Tone, 3 way selector switch. Scale: 25 1/2" // 8

Sound: I Love the sound. The pickups are clean and crisp, not as much depth to the tone as my Duncan Seymour's but pleasant to the ear just the same. I play on a Vox Pathfinder amp. Very bright sounding. Strings that are fitted are ok but guitar now has a greater tone and sustain since I put on D'Addario strings. Almost no buzzing; I would say there's no buzzing but if you hit a note on a bit of an angle or not close enough to the fret you get a buzz... Other guitars I've played are more forgiving. The neck pickup has that squawky, "ice pick in the ear" tele twang. Also its semi hollow, which makes it fun to play when not plugged in! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was actually setup! Good intonation and ready to play out of the box:)I keep it in a case and it stays in tune. I like the action, not as low as a shredder guitar but not high enough to be annoying. On closer inspection the finish isn't a 10. The paint job around the f hole is a bit messy and the scratch plate is slightly bowing from the electronics pushing on it from underneath. Some of the Phillips head screws on the scratch plate look like they were attacked rather than just screwed in. The screws on the bridge cut up your palm if you do some sweeping; need to be sanded probably. Good quality unfinished maple neck, with a bit of thickness to it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar several times at church now and no problems. The body is made of basswood so it will probably get dented over time. Since its an unfinished maple neck it gets dirty quickly. Its relatively light; easy to transport. // 7

Overall Impression: On the tele I tend to ply blues. I'm now learning chicken picking. If this guitar was stolen I would buy another, perhaps a TE-2. It's strange but I have an immense satisfaction in this guitar, mainly because I bought it at the price I did and received a quality guitar. I'd like to compare it to a squire tele, see which is better. // 9

Comments