Rock Candy Custom Review

manufacturer: Daisy Rock date: 08/29/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Daisy Rock: Rock Candy Custom
The guitar features a mahogany body and has a rosewood fingerboard. Also a Tune-O-Matic bridge, grover tuners, string through body design, a 3-way pickup selector and a push/pull tone control that allows for more versatility.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.7
 Features: 6.7
 5.4
 6.8
reviews (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Rock Candy Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2008

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Walters Music

Features: The Rock Candy Custom guitar made by the infamous Daisy Rock (a company marketed to females) has created a wonderful guitar suitable for both sexes. It has 22 medium frets, is light-weight, and has a somewhat slimmer neck. The guitar features a mahogany body and has a rosewood fingerboard. Also a Tune-O-Matic bridge, grover tuners, string through body design (looks great) a 3-way pickup selector and (one of mi favorites) a push/pull tone control that allows for more versatility. Its pickups are Daisy Rock's Deluxe humbucker which are well. (The Daisy Rock Custom Special features better pickups). Aesthetically, this guitar really pleases (especially in red)with its star inlay and a contoured Telecaster-reminiscent body that really gives a sleek impression. Very sexy whether a girl or a guy. I'm a guy. // 8

Sound: One of the problems with the Daisy Rock is its lack of a whammy bar and its therefore inability to fully accommodate musicians on the "heavier scene". With distortion the guitar sounds okay, while leaving a bit of a twangy residue. This guitar could Shine playing punk and perhaps jazz and the blues. This guitar imo sounds best with just a touch of distortion. The push/pull tone control allows you a bold sound for a solo. Unfortunately this was all compiled based on mi experiences on mi lame peavy practice amp. Still this guitar provides an excellent, rich sound great for rock n' roll or rythym n' blues that can easily be adjusted on the fly in a wide variety of sound. Just don't expect to be jamming onto Dragonforce on this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Mines was fine so. I bought it in a store and my guitar had nothing wrong with it. It wasn't in a box or anything so I couldn't tell what it'd turn out if you ordered it. The pickups were adjusted well, bridge fine, wood great but I changed the strings because they were kinda crappy. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is another area where both I and the Rock Candy Custom both hesitate. it's beautiful, shiny red finish is easily scratched upon or chipped. Live playing? it's flashy and all but something intensive would certainly leave battle scars. A jazz gig? This guitar would be fine. I've had a couple of those. It's still in one piece. I've had it for about 3 months now and have had a couple of scratches on the side of the body (and I'm a careful person). But it's life span seems fairly long if you're just gonna play with friends, practice on it and maybe a few gigs. The strap buttons are good, the input thingy (don't know the name) is stable. Its finish is easily at hawk here as the lack of a fret guard leaves it very susceptible to scratches while playing. // 6

Overall Impression: I'm 14/15 and have been playing for around 2-3 years. I usually play jazz stuff, punk-pop sorta on the side and maybe a dash of intensive, hardcore songs (think canon rock; that song has wasted weeks off mi life). Anyways on to the guitar I would definitely recommend it to guys or girls. I sorta wish I got the Rock Candy Custom Special for the better pickups, but it really isn't an issue as it sounds great as-is. I would recommend it to a rock or jazz player as this guitar is great at jazz gigs. It's push/pull tone control allows you a versatile asset to your playing. I wouldn't recommend it to a straight-off newbie as it's very easy to damage the beautiful, sexy finish. If you're just coming out of your shell or are fairly experienced (but not pro yet) then this guitar is for you. This guitar and it's clean sound serves as mi jazz guitar essentially as I have several others for music atoned to "rock". If it was lost or stolen my dad would kill me. But I would probably get another one of these guitars. // 9

Rock Candy Custom Reviewed by: septembercrow, on december 10, 2010

Features: Construction: Set-Neck Body: Sycamore Neck: Mahogany Fingerboard: Rosewood Fret: 22 Medium Scale: 24 3/4" Inlay: Stars Bridge: TonePros Tune-O-Matic Tuners: Grover Hardware: Black Nickel Pickup: Duncan Designed Active Humbuckers [HB-105] Pickup: Duncan Designed Active Humbuckers [HB-105] Electronics: Master Volume, Master Tone, 3-Way Selector // 3

Sound: I'm normally using a Line 6 amp on this guitar, which only occasionally works just the way I want it to. It's okay sound, but I don't get the power I'm begging for from a guitar. Also, whenever I hook the guitar up to my really high quality power mixer, I get the worst clean sound from it. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The "excellent" humbuckers I was promised are not at all what they seem. It sucks. Plus, whenever I click the Switch to Switch pick-ups, I get this really crappy buzzing sound out of my Line 6 amp. It really sucks. One more problem I find is that string three on my guitar goes INSANELY flat after just half an hour of practicing. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Multiple times I've had a certain part fall off of this guitar. That little plate you plug your chord into, it totally unscrewed itself and fell in the middle of my playing. I've also had problems with the strap buttons falling off. I would not trust it in a gig. The finish, however, is pretty decent considering of all the times my strap buttons failed, there is only a single scratch on it. I'd expect much more from the damage it's given itself. // 5

Overall Impression: This guitar, I might suggest for beginners because I do give credit for the light weight of the guitar. Although I complain about the sound, if you have your amp at just the right volume with absolutely NO effects you get an alright sound if this is your first electric. However, I would not want to play this guitar in public. Overall, I'm only satisfied enough to stop myself from throwing it out the window. // 5

Rock Candy Custom Reviewed by: zilthy, on august 29, 2011

Purchased from: Used

Features: This is a 24.75" scale guitar, Les Paul sycamore body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard. Hardware: Through the body Tune-o-matic bridge, 2 passive Duncan Designed humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone that pulls to toggle humbucking and split/single coil modes, 3 way pickup selector. The neck and body are very slim and comfortable, making it a very lightweight guitar that is easy to play for hours. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock/hard rock, and I really like how it works for that. It can be a little on the bright side, but it is certainly not a thin or brittle type. It also gets some very nice blues and even some fairly decent twang with the coil tap. One thing it does not seem to do well is that really deep nu-metal type tone. If you're looking for that, I can imagine you may end up disappointed. It is wonderful for me though. A nice mid-rangy tone that easily sits in a mix. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't say how this one was from the factory, being used, but I have tried a number of Daisy Rocks off the shelf, and I do think that they could use better consistency on the setups. It is hard to say though, it could also be a lack of care from the particular shop(s) they happened to be in. I am fairly particular about my setups though, and I tend to do them myself. There didn't seem to be any flaws on this one though. I still have to only give it a 6 rating here, because as a brand off the shelf, I've seen a wide range of setup (and build?) quality and even some that were unplayable. I don't think I could recommend one based on this unless you know how to setup a guitar well on your own or have a reliable shop to work with. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It has never let me down in this area, and I have played and travelled a lot with this particular guitar. I can't comment on the strap buttons as someone else mentioned, I always change those out right away and put strap locks on. I certainly trust and depend on it, and I've even flown out of the country with it going in checked baggage. In a flight case, of course. The finish is starting to show signs of use. Mine is a 'Black Star' with a matte black finish that is starting to get quite shiny in a few areas from playing. As far as the chips and dings, well it is hard to not expect that if you dance and jump around a lot when playing and have a tendency to bump into things. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a great fit for rock/hard rock. I have been playing for a bit over twenty years, but I have really only been serious and consistent for the last ten. I have a couple of other Daisy Rock guitars (A Rock Candy Classic guitar and Rock Candy bass). For amps and effects, I've used Line 6 Pods for the past 4 years or so and now using a Pod HD 500. For amplification I currently have a little 25W Fender Frontman for portability and also a Crate Blue Voodoo head and cabinet. If I had to replace this, I most definitely would! I just love the neck, and how light and comfortable it is to play for hours! It is a really lovely guitar, sounds great, and (if setup well) super fun to play. What more could I want? // 9

More Daisy Rock reviews rating category latest review