56 Pro Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 10/09/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Danelectro: 56 Pro
Danelectro 56 Pro guitars are a limited edition re-issue of the Dano guitars from 1956. Danelectros, or Danos, have a cult following, especially in the USA. These guitars have a special sound with twin lipstick tube Alnico pickups. The 56 re-issue Danelectros are very limited. If you're a Dano fan, this Danelectro 56 Pro re-issue is a must.
 8.3
 8.8
 7.7
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
56 Pro Reviewed by: Gnomestar, on november 22, 2007

Purchased from: Zenith Music

Features: Made in Korea, not sure of the year it has a semi-hollow body composed of masonite and plywood. The neck is a bolt on made of maple with a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. It has die cast tuners and an adjustable bridge, 2 knobs one for tone one for volume and a 3-way selector switch. The pickups are a pair of alnico single coil lipstick pickups. Its shape is reminiscent of a les paul and they come in a variety of block colours with a clear scratch guard.I recieved mine with a plain carry bag. // 8

Sound: My style is a pretty all over rock sound; I play all over the rock spectrum. I'm heavily into alternative rock and this suits the music well, it's also good for playing classic rock. It has a nice bright, jangly sound. The lipstick pickups are fairly noisy, in a good way, it sounds fantastic without any effects, it gives a very pure hollowbody sound, it also sounds really nice with a good overdrive pedal, I use a muff overdrive and it has a fantastic brit rock crunch however when I use the distortion channel on my Fender hotrod or harder distortion pedals it's very hard to get a nice sound from this guitar, the guitars sound is very nice but limited. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a nice setup, the action is fairly high but it's still good, everything is in working order, the intonation is fine and there are no loose parts, the g string can tend to leave it's tuning but that doesn't seem to be happening as much these days, no idea why. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems fairly durable, I'm always careful with it because of its hollow body, it certainly sturdy but I'm always afraid of punching a whole through the wood. It's very lightweight so it would make a nice guitar to pay at gigs and I would certainly trust this without a backup but it's always best to be on the safe side, the strap buttons seem sturdy and the hardware appears tough, I've had no problem thus far after 2 months. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar matches up really well with some of my music, for heavier stuff I use a Yamaha Strat knock-off with humbuckers but for lighter music this guitar rules. I have been playing approximately just under a year and a half. I love the cleans I get with this guitar through my hotrod, I also love the finish on the guitar, I bought mine in a really tacky light blue colour, I just had to get this guitar in the tackiest colour they had because it looks awesome and stupid at the same time. If it were stole or lost I would definitely buy a new one assuming I can get it at the same price. Nice guitar well worth it considering the cheapness, it has a really different sound you aren't likely to get from other guitars. // 9

56 Pro Reviewed by: Gundam pilota09, on october 09, 2008

Features: I picked this beauty up used almost 2 years ago. it was about seven years old and abused(it had burn marks on the back). A major plus for me was metal nut and the 5-bolt neck the lipstick tube pickups were amazing, but I was hoping for the coencentric volume/tone knobs that were on my freinds old dano that I had played once. finding that it was actually a hollowbady was an amazing plus. After I started playing RATM and Audioslave songs I began to regret the lack of a killswitch option but it was a small sacrifice to make. I also replaced the knobs with ones from a bass. I just thought they'd look cooler on it. // 8

Sound: the sound was perfect and covers a broad spectrum of tones. When I first plugged it in, I primarily played punk rock music, wich the bridged pickup was perfect for, but the more styles I tried to play the more amazing it became. The bridge also handles country amazingly well and all in all has perfect tone for any rock form of(ask jimmy page he used a dano on kashmir). It actually sounds like the Demon love child of a Telecaster and a ES-335. It can be huge fat dark in your face or it can be brighty jangly and twangy. metalheads and jazzers(wich I am both) will love the tone rolled down to 0 on the neck pickup // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The first time I picked it up it played like a dream perfect action and intonation. the straps fit perfectly over the locks and only comes off when I want it to past the 19th fret is a little tricky but other than that perfectly playable. All adjustments were great, and other than a soddering gun accident by the prior owner the finnish was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Durability is definitely not an issue. It stays in tune for weeks litterally and doesn't seem to mind neck bending much at all. It's been taking abuse from me as well as previous owners, and the finish and hardware still sparkle like new. It not my only guitar, but it's the only one I bother to take to a Rush gig. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is my favorite, when my les paul was stolen and my 335's neck shattered I never bothered to waste money replacing them. the dano is the only guitar I've needed since I got it. If it were ever stolen or lost I'd definitely buy another dano to replace it, but finding one of these things'll be a bitch. The guitar is simply my soulmate. A fun little trick I like to do that I can't do on any other guitar, is using the neck pickup as an extra fret. It's just for fun but I can't imagine life without doing that. // 10

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ 9.2 Guitar Effects 03/11/2014