Dano Pro Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 10/21/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Danelectro: Dano Pro
The Dano Pro Electric Guitar is a first-ever reissue based on the guitar model first released in 1959 and sold through the mid-'60s.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 8.8
 9.3
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Dano Pro Reviewed by: Gnomestar, on june 26, 2008

Price paid: A$ 350

Features: Made in 2007 this is the oddest looking guitar in the world, the hollow body is made of masonite and plywood and takes the shape of what appears to be a retarded domino. It has 19 frets with only 14-15 easily accesible, the fretboard is rosewood and the neck is C-shaped maple. It has an adjustable 6 saddle bridge, tone and volume controls and a 3-way switch controlling the beautiful lipstick pickups (x2). It has regular, fairly cheap tuners and came with a regular padded gig bag. My particular model came in Orange. // 6

Sound: Well after reading the features this guitar doesn't sound so impressive, however teh sound is its key. Despite being made out of pretty cheap wood this guitar sings, The sound is jangly and frankly when compared to my other dano, an earlier moedel 6 Pro, the upgraded electronics make these guitar even nicer than before. I play rock from all over the place, this guitar eats up any music you play clean, the bridge has a county style twang to it while the neck is deep and glassy, also when both pickups are selected the volume is incresed and the sound becomes stonger and deeper. I play this through a Fender hotrod and it simply sounds beautful clean, it also handles low gain with aplomb and even takes me maxing out my fuzz pedal however it loses soem of it's quality. the guitar is fairly versatile, no less versatile than any other guitar anyway. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was near perfect when I got it, I lowered it slightly but by basically nothing. Unlike my previous dano the neck is thinner and faster, the action is much smoother and a dream to play. I am yet to find any flaws with the production of this guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far I have had no problems with this guitar, I have also had no problems wth my other Danelectro guitar and really I'm pretty rough with my guitars. The hardware on this guitra is solid, the elecronics are good, the strap buttons seem strong. I would definately gig with this guitar and I would not be afraid to do so without a backup (however I wouldn't as I have a backup), the finish seems pretty tough I don't think it's gonna rub off anytime soon. // 9

Overall Impression: As previously mention I like rock, especialy alternative rock, this works great, I have a Firebird Studio (epi sadly) for my heavier playing and leave all the clean and lighter music to the dano. I've been playing somewhere in the vicinity of 2 years now and I use the dano with a Fender hotrod, a EH nano muff (which works really well with it), an MI Audio neo fuzz, Vox wah, biyang delay and Danelectro chorus, the guitr seems to work well with all my equipment. If it was lost or stolen I'd we insanely pissed off and definately would get another. Basically this guitar is insane, it's got cheap materials used in $200 guitars however it soudns nothing like a $200 guitar, it honestly has a sound to match guitars 3, 4 even 5 times it's price (it certainly holds it's own against my mates MIA Strat on cleans) and the shape, it's so odd, so intriguing, it's a shape you will either love or hate, I love it however there are some negatives to the guitar, it hs such limited fret access which can be a pain at times, the guiar is basically the anti shred guitar, no high gain, no high fret access, but that is not what it is made to do and if ou buy it for shred than you wasted $300, seriously I recomend this to anyway who wants a good clean guitar without breaking the bank and if you don't believe me on the sound whatch this video on youtube, this guy has a similar rig to me and he is showing off what the guitar can do http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=BYUwDGLKF14. // 9

Dano Pro Reviewed by: hazuing, on october 21, 2011

Purchased from: registered dealer

Features: I got this guitar second-hand, in the aqua colour around a few months ago. The first thing you notice when you get it out of its box is the shape. Immediately you either love it or you hate it. I personally am a fan of the retro style when it comes to guitars, so love it. If you don't like the shape from the picture, leave. It's not for you. As mentioned, I got it in the aqua colour, which appears lighter on screen than in person (so to speak), having a darker, greener tinge to it that I like. The body is made from a hardwood frame with a masonite (another type of hardwood that is actually incredibly durable, as well as producing a great matte appearance with colour), but the level of quality is exceptional. The controls are pretty simple, with master volume (which is pretty loud; I gig at less than half full volume), master tone (which has a pretty darn good range) and a three-way toggle switch for the two famous Danelectro alnico lipsticks, wired in series. These are some really great pickups, capable of a whole load of different sounds (from 80s jangle to fuzzy blues, country twang to fat surf), and the three way toggle, due to the series wiring of the pickups, provides a kind of humbucking effect in the middle position (which selects both pickups together). The bridge is an upgrade on the original model, having an intonating bridge and improved tuning pegs. This guitar's neck really is a beaut. It's so quick to move up and down it, though how far down you can move is something of a drawback (though not for me). The neck has only 22 frets, 13 of which are accessible, which can make high end playing near impossible. I, however, rarely go up so far up this end anyway, so don't mind. // 10

Sound: This guitar's sound is so great! It has been almost universally described as a brilliant Vintage tone, with various review magazines also noting a certain twang, or a jangle, to the sound. Though the two are different, both are true, and trust me, that's just the tip of the iceberg of this guitar's tonal range. I use mine with a custom-ordered Headstrong Lil King Reverb (which is a basically a Princeton Reverb replica) and various pedals (several of which are also Danelectro's, I just love this company) and, by tweaking the settings, I can get a bucketload (and then some) of different sounds. I play 60s garage, 50s rock n roll, dirty blues, punk and alternative (this guitar is particularly great at that 80s C86 kind of jangle) as well as country, surf and what is basically indie/garage. This guitar not only handles those, it does them all incredibly well, as well as subtley stamping each with an recognizable Dano Pro sound. Some of the best pedals to use with this, in my opinion, are slapecho and most other delays, a fuzzbox such as Big Muff and another overdrive such as the ProCo RAT. Those are the ones I use with this, because those are my preferences, but a lot of other effects sound great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The main A, F&F issue you might imagine with this guitar is the neck, which is unlined. However, this is not the case; the action is absolutely freakin' brilliant. I really can't find a fault with the A, F&F of this guitar. Which, considering I got it second-hand after it had been used for gigging (with no marks on it, I might add) is quite something. I was expecting to maybe have to readjust some stuff and maybe do some DIY repairs/quick-fixes, but I don't, I couldn't fault it on that. In fact, I can't fault it on anything for this category, so there's no point banging on about it. Just check my rating for it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd have paid 500 based on the build quality of this thing. Not only the build quality, but it's also as hard-wearing as anything. I'm a mover, and so mine has seen so many damage-inflicting situations I cannot count them, but it has no marks. Not even one, and I've dropped this from chest height onto the corner of my amp (which is about knee-height). I cannot fault it on that. I've played it live quite a few times, and it suits that perfectly. The hardware on it may have been made to look worn and used, but I have a feeling they will not become compromised for a long while. I would definitely gig without a back-up, which is really something for a 100 second-hand guitar made from hardwoods. The finish of the guitar is fine, and hasn't worn at all since I've had it, and shows no signs of doing so in the future. Overall, the Dano Pro has every box ticked in terms Reliability and Durability. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a massive variety of styles and genres, and this guitar suits all of them. The only kind of thing I would not recommend it for is hardcore punk, metal, heavy rock or anything similar. Get another guitar for that: let's face it, you can afford another one after this. I've been playing for around 4 years, and have had this guitar for about 4-5 months, since my Dad's old Fender Tele became too worn out. Despite the hundreds-of-pounds price difference, I didn't find a massive drop in it's quality (from the Tele to the Pro). If this was stolen, I would probably literally break down in sheer annoyance. I would most certainly replace it (if I could, it's quite a difficult guitar to get hold of). I absolutely love my Dano Pro. I also have a Gretsch G6128TCG Duo Jet with a P-90 in the neck position, which was my absolute baby, until I aquired the Dano Pro. Now I'm really torn between the two, despite having paid over 2000 for the Gretsch. Granted, they're both radically different guitars, but it's still a good comparison as to the amazingness of the Dano Pro. // 10

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ 9.2 Guitar Effects 03/11/2014