Danoblaster Hearsay Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 10/04/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Danelectro: Danoblaster Hearsay
It has a really nice clean tone, but when you start cranking up the overdrive, things start buzzing, especially the bass notes. This guitar has a richer, fuller sound more than a bright sound.
 8.3
 8.9
 7.6
reviews (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Danoblaster Hearsay Reviewed by: GuitarN00b, on november 08, 2004

Purchased from: Used

Features: This guitar should withstand live playing, although I have yet to try. The hardware seems good enough though. There is one chip in the finish that got there when I dropped the guitar on the cement, but it doesn't effect tone. The thing is, there was only a small chip, not more, so I'm pretty impressed. The strap buttons are securely on the guitar. I'm the type of person that checks, double checks, and triple checks everything, but if I had to, I would use it in a gig w/o a backup. Well, I would bring a backup 9-volt battery if I were still using the built-in distortion. // 8

Sound: This guitar amazed me with its sound. For $150, I did not expect too great of a guitar. This guitar proved me wrong. The song can be bubbly and/or cutting w/o distortion, or it can be very grungy and driving w/ distortion. With only the bridge pickup, you can get very nice classic rock sounds. Also, jazz tones can be brought out of the guitar with the clean tones. However, the built-in distortion isn't really that great - it's supposed to replicate 60's style distortion. Quite obviously, distortion sucked in teh 60's. Fortunately, the build-in distortion does not seem to have figured heavily (if at all) into the price of the guitar, so you can use it if you like, but if not, just don't. // 10

Overall Impression: I play predominatly a lot of pop-punk, yes, I know, "easy stuff" and whatnot, but hey, it's catchy, and I like it. It matches, but then again, just about any guitar could probably do it. I've been playing for about 1/2 year and I own a Peavey Rage 158 amp. I love this guitar, and if it were stolen/lost, I would try to get another one. I compared this guitar to a Peavey Raptor and a couple other guitars within the $100-200 price range. I don't really like how there isn't a humbucker, but I'm buying a Seymour Duncan Hotrails for the bridge. The loose tuning peg also is quite bothersome, but buying a new one would also solve that. // 8

Danoblaster Hearsay Reviewed by: MalcolmFreely29, on october 04, 2010

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: The Danelectro Danoblaster Hearsay was made in China with 21 frets on a Rosewood fret board, with a plywood body and blue-sparkle/sunburst finish. The body looks like a Mosrite Ventures guitar, and I bought it because it looked just like Johnny Ramone's guitar. It features a Strat-style bridge, although the whammy bar is only good for surfy sounds. Don't expect to be able to play EVH on this whammy, its just not meant for that. It has 3 passive single coils, arranged like how a Stratocasters pickups would be and 1 volume, 1 tone, and 2 effect(for the onboard effects) contrlos and a 5 way selector. It has non-locking tuners. This guitar also features onboard effects, including distortion, flange, slapback delay, and tremolo. However, the tone knobs only effect the distortion and tremolo. // 8

Sound: Since I play surf,punk,and Indie this guitar is perfect for me. It not only looks like a Mosrite guitar, it has great tone when played through loads of reverb, and its fun having reverb on the guitar turned on at the same time as having the reverb on your amplifier on, along with tremolo because it sounds really surfy. I either use it through a Raven RG60, a Crate GX, or a Heathkit Combo Amplifier. It also sounds good with alot of distortion, almost exactly like the Ramones guitar sound. and since it has 3 pickups, i like it for Indie because you have alot of tonal options. Overall, it sounds alot like a stratocaster, very bright, very rock-sounding, and very slick. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I bought this guitar from a guy who sets up guitars, so my guess is he probably set it up himself when he bought it so theres no way fo me to know how good the action is brand new, but when I bought it it was very nice. The pickups perfectly suited my style, and the bridge and top we're great. The only flaw this guitar has is the G goes out of tune sometimes, but other than that this is a great guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has gone through a couple gigs, and it never failed me. The hardware seems perfectly capable of performing, an the strap buttons are good. Even though I probably could perform live without a backup, I would do it because its stupid to play without a back up. The finish looks pretty well done, but if this is the only guitar you play you'll probably end up wearing off the finish a little bit. // 9

Overall Impression: I play surf, punk, and indie(not a combination of the 3) and i really like it for my style with the 3 pickups. I've been playing for about 3 years. I also own a custom Squier Strat, a Harmony 108 (I think thats what its called, its a bit of a relic and it doesn't say the name anywhere on it)and a Dean Z. I wish I had asked why it has a flange instead of a chours effect like all the other Danoblaster, but i like flange more so I'm ok with that. If it was stolen I'd be pissed and hunt and kill the bastard that took it and pry his dead fingers off of my Danoblaster. I love everything about it. I hate nothing about it. My favorite feature is that it has onboard effects. I think this is my second best guitar, second to my custom Strat. I wish it had 1 more tone knob, but I'm ok with it not being there. // 10

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ 9.2 Guitar Effects 03/11/2014