Dead On '67 Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 02/02/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Danelectro: Dead On '67
The 67 sports a curvaceous body reminiscent of the shape of a Jaguar or Jazzmaster, but with small, shapely buttocks.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.6
 8.4
 8.8
reviews (2) pictures (5) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Dead On '67 Reviewed by: thewho65, on july 14, 2009

Features: A reproduction of the Hornet model of the 60's, this guitar has all the typical Dano aspects like the rosewood bridge, lipstick pickups, and satin finish vastly improved from their original counterparts. The truss rod is adjustable (an improvement from the original) and the body is extremely light, owing to the composite body material (no info on specifics on Dano's website). The package is complemented with a Dano tremolo. All hardware is nickel. // 7

Sound: The sound of the tube pickups are a cross between the twang of a Telecaster and the quack of a Stratocaster. They still have a little bit more punch than a Strat, but they're not as piercingly sharp as a Tele can be. The pickups aren't very noisy and handle overdrive very well (especially with both engaged). This guitar is made for surf, but I find the jangle works well with a lot of Indie and even punk. Metal is hardly likely, but I never discourage from trying. The tremolo system works, but isn't the best unit I've ever used. It sits far too close to the body and isn't entirely adjustable. I did manage to get some shoegaze-y sounds out of it (a la My Bloody Valentine and Lush). It's almost hardly usable, sadly. However, even if you're not interested in all of these sounds, this guitar would make for an interesting slide guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very low and the satin neck makes for a very fast and comfortable one. The frets were fine as far as I could see and there was no noticeable problems with the hardware of the guitar. The guitar stays fairly in tune with the tremolo, but I've seen better. My only gripe with the makeup of the guitar is the strange contouring of the body. It's extremely comfortable sitting or standing, but this Dano slips out of most guitar stands and doesn't stand properly on its own. I would be extra careful in standing it against anything. I would have given this an 8 but most the almost unusable tremolo and atypical shape bump it down. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid, not Tele-block solid but it would hold up just fine gigging or at home. The hardware's all solid but the strap buttons are on weird positions of the guitar (at least the one closest to the neck). I would feel comfortable using this guitar alone during a show, especially if I were playing rhythm. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of things, from blues to jazz to rock, though I'm more rooted in "alternative." This guitar suits a lot of these moreso than my cheap Jay Turser SG. I tried out the Dead On '67 with a Fender Super Champ XD, a combination which sounds phenomenal. I love the lipstick pickups, and the satin finish on the neck is so fast, much more than the polyurethane one I'm used to. These things come in a variety of colors and the price tag of $349 isn't too bad, though it is still just a Danelectro and I think if the price was a little lower this guitar would be a steal. // 9

Dead On '67 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2011

Purchased from: GuitarAmpKeyboard

Features: - Made in China - 21 Frets - Mustang, Jaguar body style. - Volume and pickup tones. - Whammy bar This guitar has a unique bridge and Lipstick single coil pickups. Great neck and a fantastic headstock. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Grunge/Rock and this guitar is perfect for both, well saying that, its perfect for most all genres! This guitar has that sweet fuzzy sound when you want it to. I have been using a little Squier amp with a Boss Overdrive/Distortion OS-2 pedal and it just sounds fantastic, clean and distorted. If you wanna play some Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, this guitars got your back. If you wanna play some Queens of the Stone Age, or White Stripes, its got your back. This guitars sound is brilliant. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar does come with a Whammy bar, now it might just be for me, but mine sucked. the more you used it, the more it came loose. I've taken it off now but its nothing to big to worry about. The pickups are brill, I used to use a coin since I never had any picks, and they've still survived and coming out better than ever. The wood that theyve used is sturdy, this guitar is very light, not too heavy perfect for my back lol :D one problem is that the input jack went into my guitar a few weeks in but I just got it fixed for free. Might just be me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm not in any bands, but let me tell you, if this guitar can withstand me running around in my bedroom, it could withstand live performances. I have no doubt in my mind then when I get a new one I'll get this guitar again but it is just fantastic. I can definatly depend on it. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing Grunge and rock with this guitar is just playing a Jaguar or a Mustang. Its also brill for retro, hence it being "67'" lol, its just an all around brilliant guitar. I've been playing it for nearly 2 months now and I love it dearly. If I lost it I would definatly buy it again. I love it! // 9

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ DJ-14 Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ 9.2 Guitar Effects 03/11/2014