Bolero Review

9.4
 7.8
review (1) pictures (10) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Bolero Reviewed by: kaosxrocker, on september 08, 2011

Features: Not sure of the year, either 2010 or 2011, in Korea. As far as hardware and such, 22 frets, 24.75" scale, Master Volume and Tone knobs (Tone is push/pull for coil tap), 3 way switch for the two humbuckers, Grover tuners, etc., etc. It's got a gorgeous quilted maple top on a mahogany body and neck, and an ebonized rosewood fretboard. The neck on it has a soft V shape to it, and is a bit thinner than I'm used to, but I'm finding it to my liking. It came with a gig bag, and all the tools you need to adjust the details. // 9

Sound: This thing is incredibly versatile. It will do anything you want it to. Every harmonic shines beautifully, and it sounds quite a bit less muddled than my Epiphone Les Paul. I'm playing it through a Bugera 333XL and loving every sound that I get with it. The coil tap helps when you want a squeaky clean sound, and then you just push it back in when you want to crank it. I've done mostly metal stuff with it so far, but the ventures I've taken away from it have delivered some pretty impressive results. The bridge pickup is great for that hard rock crunch, the neck will give you those smooth blues tones with the gain turned down a bit, and both clean up beautifully, tapped or not. There's next to no background noise on this guitar, and it just sounds damn good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I couldn't have set it up better myself. I swear they went over this thing with a fine toothed comb before they sent it out. No fret buzz, no sharp frets, no flaws in the finish...nothing. It's damn near perfect. Only one minor flaw that could have been anyone's fault: The pickup selector was missing the switch tip. I don't know if it got lost at the factory, or somewhere in between them and me, but it wasn't on the guitar when I got it through the door. Still, all in all, totally pleased with the set up. 9/10 just for the missing switch tip. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If it didn't stand up to live playing, I'd be absolutely shocked. It's built like a freaking rock. The strap buttons won't budge at all, the hardware seems top notch, and even the finish seems to be a cut above. No complaints at all here. // 10

Overall Impression: For my main genre of metal, this thing works like a charm. It's exactly like the guitar it's based off of. It works for just about everything. If someone stole her, I'd hunt them down and sever their testicles (fair warning, guys). If I couldn't find them, I'd absolutely buy another one. I love the factory coil tap feature, as I've been curious about that for awhile, but never had the opportunity to get one on my own guitar, nor had the chance to play on one that did. I won this one, but even if I had bought it, it would be worth every penny. This guitar is by no means one that should be overlooked. // 9

More DBZ Guitars reviews rating category latest review