Bolero Review

DBZ Guitars: Bolero
 Features: 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (10) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Bolero Reviewed by: kaosxrocker, on september 08, 2011

Features: Not sure of the year, either 2010 or 2011, in Korea. As far as hardware and such, 22 frets, 24.75" scale, Master Volume and Tone knobs (Tone is push/pull for coil tap), 3 way switch for the two humbuckers, Grover tuners, etc., etc. It's got a gorgeous quilted maple top on a mahogany body and neck, and an ebonized rosewood fretboard. The neck on it has a soft V shape to it, and is a bit thinner than I'm used to, but I'm finding it to my liking. It came with a gig bag, and all the tools you need to adjust the details. // 9

Sound: This thing is incredibly versatile. It will do anything you want it to. Every harmonic shines beautifully, and it sounds quite a bit less muddled than my Epiphone Les Paul. I'm playing it through a Bugera 333XL and loving every sound that I get with it. The coil tap helps when you want a squeaky clean sound, and then you just push it back in when you want to crank it. I've done mostly metal stuff with it so far, but the ventures I've taken away from it have delivered some pretty impressive results. The bridge pickup is great for that hard rock crunch, the neck will give you those smooth blues tones with the gain turned down a bit, and both clean up beautifully, tapped or not. There's next to no background noise on this guitar, and it just sounds damn good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I couldn't have set it up better myself. I swear they went over this thing with a fine toothed comb before they sent it out. No fret buzz, no sharp frets, no flaws in the finish...nothing. It's damn near perfect. Only one minor flaw that could have been anyone's fault: The pickup selector was missing the switch tip. I don't know if it got lost at the factory, or somewhere in between them and me, but it wasn't on the guitar when I got it through the door. Still, all in all, totally pleased with the set up. 9/10 just for the missing switch tip. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If it didn't stand up to live playing, I'd be absolutely shocked. It's built like a freaking rock. The strap buttons won't budge at all, the hardware seems top notch, and even the finish seems to be a cut above. No complaints at all here. // 10

Overall Impression: For my main genre of metal, this thing works like a charm. It's exactly like the guitar it's based off of. It works for just about everything. If someone stole her, I'd hunt them down and sever their testicles (fair warning, guys). If I couldn't find them, I'd absolutely buy another one. I love the factory coil tap feature, as I've been curious about that for awhile, but never had the opportunity to get one on my own guitar, nor had the chance to play on one that did. I won this one, but even if I had bought it, it would be worth every penny. This guitar is by no means one that should be overlooked. // 9

Bolero Reviewed by: themath, on august 11, 2015

Price paid: € 665

Purchased from: 450

Features: Designed by master guitar builder Dean B. Zelinsky, the DBZ Bolero Calavera features a unique 3D sculpted body adding a modern touch to this timeless classic. The body, cut from high-grade mahogany and capped with rock hard maple, comes loaded with DBZB/DBZ5 pickups with Coil Tap. The set mahogany neck is shaped to Dean Zelinsky's signature profile known for it's extreme comfort and speed. The Bolero Calavera produces a warm, thick, clearly defined tone making it a suitable choice for all styles of music, particularly rock, blues & metal. Adorned with the "Calavera" themed metal inset crest and matching truss rod cover, this guitar is trimmed with upgraded pearloid purfling. Set Neck/24.75";  Mahogany/Maple Body; Mahogany Neck; Ebonized Rosewood Fingerboard; 22 Frets; Premier Series Inlays; Pearloid Purfling; DBZB/DBZ5 Pickups; Vol/Tone/3-Way/Coil Tap; Grover Tuners; Nickel Hardware; DBZ Stop Tail; Foundry Metal Inset & Truss Rod Cover. // 8

Sound: With the original pickups a lil'bit too vintage for me, so I've replaced them to Sublime-s /Made in Hungary/. So it's brutal! I've played on many premiuim category guitars, but it's my favourite. Very good sustain and basses are in the guitar. With the original pickups, the guitar had great, vintage Les Paul sound /reminds me the old Gibsons/. With the new pickups, it received aggressive hi and mids, so it became a real massive metal instrument /I'm using it drop "A"/.

Simple. Very traditional design meets new contours. Classic design and modern style. Or is it classic style with modern design? Both. The Bolero has what it takes for every situation. From jazz to blues to rock to metal, the Bolero does it well. With a mix of dynamic colors, it looks as amazing as it sounds. It's iconic. It's versatile. It's classy. It's aggressive. It's stunning. And it's timeless. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is built massive, strong, and with timeless design. The original pickups are noisless too. And it's beautiful as hell! Mine is white! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's not a lightweight guitar, like my LTD-EC, but not as heavy as an Epiphone or PRS. It's comfortable to wear, it's not top-heavy, my opinion this is a very ergonomic guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: My Bolero Calavera is my favourite guitar, I think I don't need better than this. This is actually real love! :) If I were the manufacturer, i would build the Calavera /which is strongly metal designed, with this lovely skulls/ with brutal Active pickups. // 10

More DBZ Guitars reviews rating category latest review