350 Custom F Review

6.8
reviews (4) pictures (5) 22 comments vote for this gear:
350 Custom F Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2012

Purchased from: Dancing Dragon Music

Features: This guitar really has a lot of features for the price. It's got a Floyd Rose special, coil tap, and the basics (volume, tone, 3 way switch). The next best alternative I found with those features was about twice what I paid. The hardware on mine is black nickel, which looks amazing. Other stuff: 24 fret, rosewood fingerboard, dual humbuckers, flame maple top, basswood body, bolt-on maple neck. // 10

Sound: I've been playing for about 12 years and I've honestly always liked Dean guitars. Sound is simply the reason. I like the way the stock pickups in this thing sound. I've heard a lot of people complain about the pickups, but they really do have a nice tone to them. I've got it running through a Roland Cube right now and it sounds good on every channel. On Metal Stack, this thing screams. I switched it to the Acoustic channel w/ coil tap and I was really impressed, it sounds better than many real acoustics. The sound is really versatile, which is what you should expect with a guitar with a coil tap. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were adjusted well from the factory, but the rest of it required some set up - not a big deal though. I wouldn't have kept the stock strings on it anyway, they were junk. First thing I did was change to some Ernie Ball Slinky's. I had a little trouble though with the plate the springs attach to. I switched to a higher gauge string than what came on it, so I needed to increase the spring tension. But when I was adjusting the screws, they swiveled pretty bad. They were in crooked. This made adjustment pretty annoying. The screws should have been in straight and even. Other than that, the rest of the guitar was in perfect shape - no real issues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd say it's pretty reliable. It feels as good as my Schecter. The whole thing is light but feels solid. Strap buttons are one tight, hardware is good quality. I'd probably bring a backup to a show, but I'm paranoid. I'd bring a backup even if I was playing a $1000 guitar. The last thing you want is to get excited and break a string on a Floyd with no backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal mostly and this guitar is perfect for that - but it's really versatile. I've been playing about 12 years and I'm really picky about my guitars. Of the ones I own, this is my favorite. I love the Floyd Rose, I love the coil tap. I'm mad that the screws in the back are crooked as hell, but I was still able to get the height and action perfect, so I guess that's not too big of a deal. I'd say this has by far the most features to price ratio of any guitar out there right now. Overall, very nice guitar. For $200 new, can't beat it. // 9

350 Custom F Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2011

Purchased from: Pro Solo Music

Features: I think this guitar is a 2010/2011 model? It is made in China although the final setup is done in the US supposedly? It is a 24 Fret Guitar with Medium/Jumbo Frets & the Neck is a 25-1/2" Scale bolt on c shaped maple afair with a rosewood fingerboard. The machineheads are made by Grover and the headstock is a good sized upside down pointy Ibanez type effort! The body is a nice bookmatched flame maple top on a basswood body which is well balanced and comfortable, I'd say it is kind of like a S-Series Ibanez in shape - more rounded than other pointy "super-strat" type guitars. even though the heel is square like a Strat heel as opposed to round on more modern guitars, access is no issue and I kind of like the traditional feel. The finish is Transparent black and is well finished. The Bridge is an Original doublelocking Floyd Rose Special(worth the price of the guitar alone), and like the rest of the hardware, is finished in a cool looking chrome nickel finish. The Pickups(Dean designed)are Passive and are a twin humbucker affair. They sound brilliant and the neck pickup is a bit like a Semour Duncan 59, while the Bridge Pickup is in the vein of a DiMarzio Fred! Normaly on a guitar like this I would swap them for Dimarzio's but they sound tht good I'll keep them! There is a 3-Way selector Switch with the normal Bridge/Brige+Neck/Neck operation, but the tone pot next to the Volume control acts as a coil tap so you can get Bridge single/outer Coils of both Humbuckers/Neck Single. This gutar came with no case or gigbag, but for the price - I'm not complaining. // 10

Sound: I am a guitar Teacher and a session guitarist and I bought this guitar even though I own many to be a workhorse that I'm not constantly worrying about damaging! I teach and play anything in the syles of Dream Theatre/Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/Foo Fighters/Metalica etc to anything like; Hendrix/SRV/John Mayer/Pat Metheny etc. This guitar is great in feel and apearance even though it is not the most expensive guitar I own. I am confident that it is a reliable, great sounding guitar which keeps in tune with no problem even with extreme wanging! It is bright acousticaly which means it packs plenty of tone when plugged in. I use a Laney VC30 Twin 12" and various effects but also use a Pod XT Live. This Guitar sounds great no matter what I use it with live or in the studio. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up with no problems when I bought it. The action is low enough with a smooth feel when playing which is good enough for sweeping/tapping/speed picking/leggato styles, yet high enough to get your fingers behind those bends when playing SRV or any kind of Blues Styles! As I mentioned above, the Bookmatched Flame Maple Top is Perfect and I can't believe how high the build quality of this guitar is for the low price tag. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will last me for quite some time and I intend to use it exhaustively! I own a Fender USA Deluxe Strat, Ibanez Jem 7V WH, Ibanez RGT42, Parker Nightfly, Burns Brian May, Fender Mexican Reverse strat, and a Yamaha Pacifica 604. This Dean guitar is as good as any of the above and I'm actually enjoying playing it more than the Ibanez Jem! I will be gigging this guitar for certain and in case you didn't know - I love it! // 10

Overall Impression: I've checked out the Dean website and there are other finishes that this guitar comes in. I would buy another Dean Custom 350 Floyd without hesitation and would highly recomend that weather you are a beginer or a pro, this guitar is worth trying out. I just hope I get paid a large ammount of money by Dean for this review! // 10

350 Custom F Reviewed by: 12jfrey, on january 07, 2011

Purchased from: Wayne's World

Features: I'm not too sure of the year, but I'm pretty sure it's a relativley new model considering I've never seen a review for it. Made in China but inspected and adjusted in the U.S. 24 frets with pearl inlays across a 25.5 inch rosewood fingerboard. The body is a start style with a transparent flamed maple top with basswood. It has a Floyd Rose locking tremelo unit, 2 passive humbuckers (with coil tap), 3-way selector switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and grover tuners. // 10

Sound: I play quite a few music styles (mostly grunge, punk, blues, and metal) and this guitar suits each perfectly. I use a Peavy 15 watt modeling amp with a weeping Demon wah (ibanez) at home so I can make a wide array of crazy sounds from crazy distorion to alien lazer guns. I haven't got to use it at band practice yet, but mysetup there is an electa 5-channel head with Peavey speakers and a black coffee distortion (danelectro or dunlop?). The guitar itself has a nice full sound with nice bright leads and a thick low end. Very nice :D // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it, there were a few problems (more than likely from idiots in the shop who tortured the poor thing); the nut that holds the cables in was loose, my A and G strings weren't secured tightly enough into the bridge so that took an hour to identify, fix, and retune. The finish is a transparent blue over flamed maple. The finish could be a little bit more transparent so that the maple can be seen easier. On top of all that, there was a small, almost invisible ding on the one horn and near the bridge, but other than that, everything was in great shape. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't done anything live with it yet, but I'm more than sure it could take the challenge, the hardware sounds pretty stable, though I would trust the strap buttons more if they were strap locks. The finish, by nature, has a tendency to show any kinds of finger smudges so I advise you to carry a smooth dishrag to wipe it down every couple of days. // 8

Overall Impression: As I've mentioed before, this guitar is perfect for my style of playing. It's a beautiful instrument, with beautiful tone. It's my first guitar with a whammy bar and, despite it being a pain in my balls to tune, it's very well worth the aches in your back for the half hour you put into tuning it. If it was stolen, I'd be royally pissed and work my ass off to either get it back or buy a new one. The only thing I wish it had was an extra volume knob for the other pickup so I can do those tom morello style noises but either way, I love the guitar. Over my 3 years of playing, I've stuck closely to Ibanez guitars but now I'm thinking about looking into Dean a bit more. // 9

350 Custom F Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2011

Features: Made in China. It has a 24 fret rosewood neck. My finish was Transparent Red. Basswood body, Tune-o-Matic style bridge, 1 volume knob and 1 tone knob which doubles as a coil tap. It has a Floyd Rose special tremolo & a 3-way pickup selector switch. DMT Humbucker pickups from Dean, locking Grover tuners. Neck pickup has a smooth sound, very nice. My coil tap tone knob is a little loose & it comes right off. Nice looking black nickel knobs though, what I love most is the shape of the headstock and the eye inlay. // 9

Sound: This guitar is great for my music style. I play various types of metal and I would say this guitar is great for it. The coil tap sounds awesome. I am running my 350 through a Boss ME-50 into a Roland Cube 20. It's not very noisy, except when the coil tap is pulled out sometimes there's a bit of feedback. The coil tap has a very bright full sound. It has DMT Design Humbucker Pickups HH. Push / Pull Coil Tap Tone Control. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Pickups are adjusted very well, and I Haven't had any problems with them yet. Everything about this guitar was done Properly, and I have no complaints, except The only problem was the coil tap knob was a little loose and now it comes right off the guitar, but the coil tap still works. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for almost 2 months now, and everything is still working great(other than the coil tap knob coming right off). The overall build quality is quite high. This is a pretty simple guitar and is built pretty sturdily. I replaced the strap buttons with strap locks. Overall I feel that I could definitely play gigs with it and not worry about a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play various types of metal and this guitar is a good match. I have been playing for about 4 years now and I own 2 Ibanez G10's, a Roland Cube 20X amp, a Boss ME-50 and a Line 6 Pod 2.0. This guitar is everything that I had hoped it would be before buying it and I have no regrets buying it. This is a great guitar for this price.this is by far the best guitar I have ever owned. If this guitar was stolen I would probably hunt them down and get it back.The 24-fret thin rosewood neck is comfortable, fast and durable. I do not like that the coil-tap knob comes off. I wish it had another tone knob since there's only 1, but other than that, this guitar is great! // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014