Avalanche Ultra 7 Review

7.5
 4.1
reviews (3) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Avalanche Ultra 7 Reviewed by: GuitarFreak1387, on april 28, 2008

Features: Things are nice and simple here: master tone and volume, a 3-way lever switch and through-body stringing. The latter is one of the oldest methods of retaining string stability, check out that Fender Tele some time, but here it allows the strings themselves to have a tighter tension as there's more actual wire present. // 7

Sound: Seeing as this is a seven string most people will think that it's only for metal, but most people are close minded. This guitar can play a handfull of different guitar styles like rock, blues, hard rock, jazz, and many others. The 3-way switch offers many different sounds from bright to a more mid range sound. You can easly go from a clean full sound with the neck pickup and with the kick of your od/dist. go into a searing lead that will snap your neck without hesitation. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Seeing as this guitar was used I set it up myself 'cause I did not like how the prev. owner had it set up, I set it up to my likeing. I wish I was able to adjust the pickups but your not able to seeing as they are directly mounted to the body, they were a little too high for my likeing, hopefully I'll be able to change this problem when I get new pickups for it. I did have problems with the licensed Floyd Rose but that is to be expected with a guitar that is nearly 10 years old. The knife edges on the trem were worn down. The lower horn is a little tight fitting to my hands but I also have larger hands so this might not be a problem for most people. Besides that there isnt realy anything I don't like about the guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Besides the Floyd Rose problem (ageing fault) this guitar plays well. After blocking ther trem I have no problems using it. I also realy like the grover tuners that are on this beast. This guitar has never realy let me down once I got it set up and blocked the trem, so I can realy depend on this as one of my main guitars. The finish has suprizeingly held up well, there are only a few scratches on the finish from my own doing when scaloping the fretboard, I do plan to change the finish of the guitar though. The grayish color just dosent do it for me. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar has impresed me well. For being a cheap used guitar it isnt that bad. I mainly picked it up to see how I would like a 7 string and I haven't sold it yet so that must tell you something. It does suit the stereotypical metal nonsence but it can do much more than most people think. // 8

Avalanche Ultra 7 Reviewed by: musicman422, on july 18, 2012

Purchased from: Big Deal Pawn

Features: This guitar is a 7 string guitar with a 25.5 inch scale. It has a Strat style body, 24 frets, a rosewood fretboard, a bolt-on maple neck, abalone dot inlays, basswood body, Grover tuners, a TOM bridge with a string thru body, a master tone and volume control, and a 3 way blade pickup selector. // 7

Sound: I play mostly progressive metal and djent. I run this guitar through a MXR Fullbore Metal pedal and a Randall RX120RHS half stack. I play everything from huge clean jazz chords to beefy hi-gain breakdowns on the low end. The low end is a little muddy without the use of the noise gate on the distortion pedal activated. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how this guitar was setup from the factory because I bought it used. The previous owner had the action a little higher than what I'm used to so I had it lowered. The pickups are not adjustable because they are direct mounted. I don't really care for the stock pickups because they are very muddy when using distortion in the low end or if playing chords. I intend on replacing them with either Seymour Duncans (distortion in the bridge and jazz in the neck) or Bareknuckle Painkillers. Also the scale is short for my liking. The low A is too floppy unless you use a really high gauge string. (I use a 64 on the bottom.) Also the guitar is fairly heavy and can become uncomfortable during long shows. I really like the Grover tuners that came with this guitar because I almost never have to worry about going out of tune. Also the 24th fret is difficult to get to because of the cutaway. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very sturdy and can definitely withstand live playing. The finish on this guitar is very nice. I've had it for about 4 years now and there are only a few scratches in the finish. This guitar is very dependable and I would be willing to go on stage with it without a back up if I had to. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 5 years now and I have used this guitar for 4 of them. I have only played 7 strings since. If this guitar were to be lost or stolen I probably would not buy it again because it no longer suits my needs as a player. I intend on getting either a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7 or a Mayones Regius 7 next because they are more suited to my needs. This is a great guitar however if you are just starting out or are making the transition to 7 string guitar. // 5

Avalanche Ultra 7 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2013

Purchased from: Rainbow Guitars in Tucson

Features: The Dean Avalanche 7. - Straight String Pull Headstock - Basswood Body - 25-1/2"" Scale & 1-7/8" Nut - Grover Tuners - Chrome Hardware - Direct Mounted Pickups - Tune-O-Matic Bridge - Bolt-on Construction - Maple Neck & Rosewood Fingerboard - Dot Inlays - 24 Frets - Colors: Metallic Black, Transparent Red,Metallic Charcoal - Lefty: Classic Black Mine is the Metallic Charcoal with a good chunk of wood missing on the headstock. Nothing serious to affect the structure or tuning, but it is noticeable. I bought in 1999, and it was used at the time. // 9

Sound: The instrument was okay sounding, but having the low B, was very welcomed. For the music I was doing back in 1999, which was a John Zorn/Mr. Bungle inspired, it was nice to get low notes below the standard E. Much of my sound at the time had an overdrive/distortion, so I didn't mind the pickups were sub-par. But after dropping a couple of DiMarzios and adding a super five-way switch, the guitar has come to life with new possibilities and sounds. The five-way super switch lets you combine the inner and outer pickups in interesting ways, while still having full humbucking modes. See DiMarzio wiring diagrams for more details. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar well made, and since it was used, I have no idea how it came from the factory. It had a few chips and dents, but nothing major. All the electronics work, and it There wasn't much to adjust except for string height. Pickups would be the only complaint about the instrument. See above about the change. It currently has tens, but I will probably switch to nines because I am bending strings lately, something that I've been avoiding for a long time in terms of styles. Truth be told, most guitars you get on the cheap wise are pretty great except for the pickups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played a lot gigs with the guitar live, It is has never let me down. Yeah, it is solid guitar overall, and I have never have had any reservations about it. Yes, I would gig without a backup. Generally non-tremolo guitars are the least troublesome instruments when playing because if a string breaks, then guitar will stay in tune. The headstock is a scarf joint, which in my opinion, is far superior to any one-piece headstock. If you don't believe me, just do a search to find how many Gibsons and other one-piece necks have broken. The whole one piece neck is more about aesthetics than anything else. In fact, Gibson even tried three-piece necks back in the '70s and '80s as a way to counter all the headstocks that kept breaking. // 9

Overall Impression: Style-wise, I have covered about everything under Sun from classical guitar, modern contemporary music, Jazz, Rock, Alternative, Blues, Latin music and everything in between. I mean, I have two freaking degrees in music with a masters and bachelors in composition, and have taught college courses and privately, while gigging and recording across this country. I also have Fenders, and Gibson, USA and or otherwise. It is has only hit me lately that it is really the pickups and setup that make the difference. If you want a piece of sculpture, then go buy that relic Strat for $5K+ or that Custom Shop Les Paul, but I guarantee you that I could match and surpass those instruments with the cheap Epiphones and this Dean when it comes to sound and playability. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014