Black Gold V Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 06/04/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Black Gold V
The gorgeous transparent black-finished flamed maple top of the Black Gold V is a real visual treat for sure, and it combines with a tone built for rock to make for a serious axe.
 8.9
 8.6
 9.2
review (1) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Black Gold V Reviewed by: Nunavut_Brown09, on june 04, 2007

Features: 22 frets, made in Korea, 24 3/4 scale, slick gold grover tuners. Mahogany with see thru black flamed maple top. With gold covered humbuckers, they aren't as hot as I would like, but with a pickup swap'll fix that. 2 volume 1 tone Tune-O-Matic bridge that'll be switched with a OFR or Schaller. I'm so sick of people giving they're guitars perfect 10's or 9's for their guitars, give it time and then give it a review. I give it a 8 because the pickups (they're still pretty hot) don't give me those P.H.'s like I would like them to, and because I can't make as much cool sounds with a tune-o-matic as with a floyd. But it was perfectly set up when I got it and it's a slick guitar man. // 8

Sound: Peavey Studio Pro 112. That's the amp I play though so that limits me pretty good. This guitar can handle music from Pantera metal to Stevie Ray blues (a coil tap would be nice). Like I said I can't get those p.h's as nice as I would like, but the neck pup can make really nice cleans and nice'n'warm solos. With a bridge& pup swap, and a coil tap put in it would be the most vercetile (don't know if that's spelled right) guitar in my opinion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't need to fiddle around when I got it, it was perfectly set up, but not in tune. But that's what the tuners are made for right? And the flamed maple are on the body & headstock. The binding is done perfectly all over the guitar. The pups werent too high or too low, just like the strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's fell off the strap, bumped into walls and played by people Who can't handle the guitar very nicely. And it still looks and playes great. But the selector did crap out for about 2 weeks and then got better and never crapped out again. I don't know how and why it did that, it was very trippy. // 8

Overall Impression: Now when I got this guitar I originaly ordered a Black Gold ML but I didn't complain, that was the suppliers fault, not Dean. it's still a very nice guitar. It does let me play what I want without making it sound bad. If it was stolen I would find the person and cut every one of their nails too short and make a potion that'll make them never grow again, no one try to steal my guitar. I know I said something about everybody giving their guitars high scores and I might look like a hipocrit but this guitar sick. If your planning on buying one of these. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014