CBV 1122 Review

7.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 35 comments vote for this gear:
CBV 1122 Reviewed by: MickIbanez, on may 19, 2009

Purchased from: Neals Music

Features: I recently purchased this guitar and all I can say is wow it is amazing. The body is a unique and awesome shape to me nothing I have seen before. It is all mahogany body and neck with rosewood fretboard and it plays amazingly. Also it has a C style neck similar to Jackson King V. It has Grover tuners and a official Floyd Rose. It has Standard Dot inlays on all the fretboard except the 11, 12, and 13 fret which have the Trivium "T" Logo. The paint is unreal on this thing and the pinstripe is perfect no complaints on that and it has the Trivium circle logo between the pickups. It has 2 Dean USA pickups. A Dean Nostalgia pickup in the neck and the Corey Beaulieu Ascension pickup in the bridge.It also comes with a hardshell case to keep it safe. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my music style pretty well as I play mostly metal. I run this guitar through my Peavey 6505 with my pedalboard which contains a MXR Smartgate,MXR GT OD, MXR EVH Phase 90 and a Original Crybaby Wah and it sounds beautiful. This guitars pickups are really high output for passive pickups. The Nostalgia pickup in the neck is so smooth and sounds amazing on solos. The Ascension pickup in the bridge is also really awesome it is very similar to SD Blackouts but with a little less output because of not being active but you tweak the gain and boom it is perfect. Harmonics sound good and so does everything else with these pickups. It only has one volume knob which is perfect for me because I just turn everything up and play I do not mess with the volume knob and do all that fancy stuff so that is plus to me. So if you want a true metal tone these pickups will do it for you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar was pretty much perfect for me its low. I just had to tweak the tuning once I got it. The pickups are set pretty much perfect if you don't like something then you could adjust them I just left them because they sounded good and I didn't want to mess it up. Everything in this guitar was clean routed I did not see any uneven or marks on it that made me want to send this guitar back and being a very picky person it matched up to expectations. No flaws on this guitar and the action is perfect and really low as low you can get it on a floyd without it bottoming out and not being able to use it. If it was any lower the strings would be dragging on the fretboard so it is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will stand Live playing it is a beast. Looks good and sounds awesome. As for the hardware so good so far no complaints the OFR stays in tune so whammy away. The strap buttons were solid but I put Dunlop Straplocks on it to make sure it would stay that way as I do on all my guitars. I think you could depend on this guitar easily its very light for mahogony and will and can take a beating. The finish on this guitar i think will last for a long time I mean its not water paint so you sweat will not make it wash off. But the paint looks amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play different styles of music but the one that will stick with me forever is metal. I play mostly stuff like Trivium, Lamb Of God and other metal bands. I have been playing guitar for 4 years now. I have played alot of guitar brands and Dean takes the top but the other guitar I use Live is a Dean Razorback V with Seymour Duncan Blackouts and it doesn't compare to this guitar. My gear I stated above besides using Planet Wave cables and Dunlop straps. This guitar is just overall better and you access the lower frets way easier. If it was stolen or lost and I could get it at this price i defiantly would. There is really nothing I hate about this guitar. I just plain out love it. Even thought Trivium left Dean they still made some amazing guitars and should be proud. There is not a guitar I have played that I can compare with it in playability this thing just takes the cake. So everyone thanks for reading and if you want a flashy looking guitar with easy playability, out of the box low action and great sound this is it. // 10

CBV 1122 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 09, 2009

Features: First of all the review above me is pretty damn wrong :/ they don't know the specs and clearly havn't played it very much... First off Mine is a korean one. 24 frets. 24.75" scale. V shaped neck, as all the razorback's and most deans are. Trivium T at the 11, 12, 13th fret. Mahogany body. Rosewood fingerboard. Set neck. Nice red paintjob with a double black pinstripe round the edges. Custom body design (we've all seen the pics). Dean Corey Beaulieu "The Ascension" Bridge pickup, active and a Dean "Nostalgia" Neck pickup. Trivium logo in between the pickups. Has an Original Floyd Rose. 1 Volume knob and a 3-way selector. Grover locking tuners. This guitar is surprisingly light aswell, being about half the weight of my xiphos and a good deal lighter than a razorback or razorback V. Came with a free Dean Hardshell Case and some allan keys. Overall was pretty happy with the features. // 10

Sound: I play thrash metal/metal and have it set up to Drop D so playing bands like early Trivium, Lamb Of God, Avenged Sevenfold mainly and the tone from this guitar is a perfect sound. When doing palm muting, even gallop palm muting, the sound doesn't get muddy, it stay's pretty clear. Pinch harmonics are a breeze on it, very responsive aswell. Scalic runs are accurate and clear. Neck pickup is quite possibly the best neck pickup I've heard, distorted or clean with a very nice round, warm tone. Using this guitar with a Roland 60 watt cube and a DigiTech multi effects pedal. Overall, this guitar has a pretty versatile sound with surprisingly good dynamic range. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box I was the first to play it in the store. The action was high from about the 12th fret up and the trem was sunk into the body abit but apart from that it was pretty good. I took it home and adjusted the action properly. Pickups were fine. No loose controls/hardware. Slight cosmetic blemish on the righ side of the guitar, the pinstripes are miss-aligned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure if this will withstand Live playing, I'll be testing that in Janruary. Hardware is good quality, ofr and grover tuners, so I'm guessing it will last. Strap buttons are nice and solid although I'll replace them with straplocks once i get the money. I play in 3 tunings, so I'd keep this one for the Drop D stuff. Finish seems fine and long-lasting. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned above I play thrash metal/metal mainly on this guitar and it is a good match. Slightly uncomfortable to play as most V's are standing up you have to find the right position but it sits well on your body due to well placed strap buttons. I've been playing for 3 years now and I also own an Ibanez Xiphos which doesn't really come close to this. Would be hard to replace it as it has been discontinued due to corey and matt cancelling their endorsment with Dean guitars. The thing I love about the guitar is the Body shape, which is a real nice modification to the traditional V shape. What I don't like about this guitar is the input jack. Its located at the bottom of the right horn, which is abit of a problem. Favourite feature would have to be the neck of it. V shape neck's are surprisingly comfortable to play with large accessability all over the neck. I compared this to an ESP Eclipse, can't remember the exact model, and a Dean Razorback V 255. I chose this guitar because I am a big fan of Trivium, but also because of the body shape and feel of it. The Body shape is sure to attract attention and the feel is unlike anything I've played. Once it was setup, the action was incredibly smooth, able to transition frets pretty damn easily with no problems. Only thing I wish it had was maybe another colour option, perhaps white with black pinstripes or black with red pinstripes. Overall this has to be a very good investment and would recommend any rare collectors out there to try and get one before they're all gone. Trust me, you won't regret buying it. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014