Chafin Boca 6 Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 05/08/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Chafin Boca 6
It's a semi-hollow body with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Overall this is a great guitar for any blues or blues influenced rock.
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Chafin Boca 6 Reviewed by: stevierv_wannab, on may 08, 2013

Price paid: C$ 320

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: I bought this guitar used so I'm not sure exactly when it was made. I believe they only built the 6 string version for a couple of years, around 2000 or so. It was made in Korea. It's a semi-hollow body with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fretboard. The neck is quite round and really chunky. It has 22 frets, not jumbo but not the tiny Vintage ones either. 24.75" scale length, 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way pickup switch, tune-o-matic bridge, Grover tuners. It plays like a 335 Copy but it looks quite original. // 8

Sound: I'm using it for blues and blues-rock and it's perfect for that. It has a really warm, mellow sound. I'm running through an Orange tube combo, set so that it breaks up nicely when the guitar's volume is on 10 but cleans right up as soon as I roll the volume down. I also have a Crybaby, a MXR 10-band EQ, and a Tubescreamer, so a really simple, basic setup. The stock Dean pickups can be nice and crunchy with the Tubescreamer, without getting too muddy. I know Deans are usually associated with metal but this definitely isn't a metal guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used so I have no idea what the factory setup was. I haven't had any trouble setting it how I like it. I'm using it for a mixture of slide and regular playing so I have the action a bit higher than normal but not too high. As far as I know everything on it is still original and I don't have any complaints. The fret ends are great and don't poke out even in the driest winter months. The pickups have quick-connectors on them, which is a really nice touch since semi-hollow body guitars can be a pain to work inside. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've been gigging with it regularly for a couple of years and haven't had any problems at all. It was about 10 years old when I bought it so if there were going to be any issues I'm sure they would have surfaced by now. The pickups are definitely original and everything else appears to be, even the pots and jack. I haven't abused this guitar but I certainly haven't babied it either. I sometimes leave it in the car too long and it still hasn't had any problems. The neck is very stable and the guitar stays in tune quite well. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great guitar for any blues or blues influenced rock. I also have a Mexican Strat and between the two of them I can cover everything I need. If it were lost or stolen I would probably upgrade to the Del-sol that was basically the set neck version of the Boca, but I'm not actively looking to change. I do wish it had 4-conductor pickups so they could be coil tapped. I've thought about changing the pickups for that reason but haven't done it yet since I really like how these sound. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014