Custom Run 3 ML Black Chrome Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/17/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Custom Run 3 ML Black Chrome
Dean Custom Run #3, Black Chrome. The sound of this thing is insane to say the least. I have had many EMG equipped guitars that all sounded very similar, but the quality of mahogany being used on this guitar must be great. It really sings like no other.
 7.8
 5.6
review (1) pictures (6) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Custom Run 3 ML Black Chrome Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2012

Purchased from: The Music Farm

Features: Dean Custom Run #3, Black Chrome. Manufactured in 2011 I believe, not sure about the country, it is not labeled in any spot. I have #13 of 100. - Limited Run Only 100 Produced Worldwide - Mahogany Body - 24 3/4" Scale - Set Mahogany V Neck - Ebony Fingerboard - Pearl Dot Inlays - Single Ply White Body/Neck & Headstock Binding - Grover Tuners - Chrome Hardware - Chrome Dean Wing Headstock Logo - Floyd Rose Original Floyd Rose Bridge - EMG 81 & 85 Pickups - EMG Afterburner 20dB Variable Gain Boost - Classic Black Finish with a DCR logo on back of headstock Numbered 1 to 100 - Dean Deluxe Hardshell Case Included // 10

Sound: I play metal. Pantera, Parkway Drive, Killswitch, etc. I also love some lighter stuff form Metallica, Alice In Chains, Deftones, etc. The sound of this thing is insane to say the least. I have had many EMG equipped guitars that all sounded very similar, but the quality of mahogany being used on this guitar must be great. It really sings like no other. The clarity of each note just jumps out, instead of blending together like a lot of guitars I've played. Even under crazy amounts of distortion, de-tuned, it is crystal clear metal mayhem. The pinch harmonics seem to play themselves, and carry for days it seems. And those Dime squeals? Yes, pop that string, tap the harmonic, and drop that arm only to pull it up to screams that sound like demons crying. Insane... // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure if The Music Farm did a set up on this guitar before they shipped it to me, but it arrived perfect. Super low action, no fret buzz, perfectly level floyd, no truss rod adjustment needed. I can not find a flaw in the finish. I have looked, and looked, not even around the binding, perfect. The paint job is beautiful, high gloss black. The ebony fretboard was top notch, well conditioned, and feels like butter. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it about a week now, but I can say, it feels like one of the most solid guitars I have played. Time will tell. All of the hardware feels superb, not cheaply made. The finish seems very thick to me, so I think it will be fine for live use... // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and it is perfect. 10 years of playing, 4 years of serious playing. I own more gear than I care to list, but this guitar is a beast. I could only prey to replace this guitar if it were stolen. After I got out of jail of coarse. I can not find a fault in this guitar. I shopped for almost a year before buying this guitar, and I'm glad I did. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014