Dave Mustaine VMNT Review

8.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 93 comments vote for this gear:
Dave Mustaine VMNT Reviewed by: Spitty33, on march 17, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This guitar is a 2007 beauty made in Korea. -> Mahogany Top/Body -> 25-1/2" Scale -> Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck -> Ebony fingerboard -> Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay -> Grover Tuners -> Black Hardware -> Tune-O-Matic Bridge -> Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups This guitar is finished in Silver but also comes in classic black. Its slightly larger scale neck means that the frets are wider apart built exactly to Mustaines Specs. There is a 3-way selector that switches between Neck, Bridge and both pickups. This guitar also comes with a Hard-Case. // 9

Sound: As you might have guessed I play Thrash metal, Mainly Megadeth. I also play Melodic Death Metal with this guitar (Children of Bodom) so I go through a range of tunings from E Standard to Drop C. I use to run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider III 75w but now I'm running it through a Spider Valve MKII, Where this guitar really shines is in its Distortion its an axe made for that specific job, it delivers a cutting thrash tone through the Mustaine Livewire Pickups.. These pickups giving a passive feel to the overall tone but being active really helps pack a punch. It gives a wide range of tone but suprisingly does not lack in the Clean department either. The pickups produce no excess noise when idle. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved this guitar it had already been set up and was ready to play straight out of the case. Everything was dialed and set in with perfection, as most of you know for a non USA custom guitar its the luck of the draw with quality. Most of the time there's nothing wrong with the guitar but sadly visualy the nut had been cut very poorly, it can't be seen at first glance but the cut away for the nut is splintered like its been cut carelessly. As I said its the luck of the draw and I can see past that flaw. This being the only problem with the guitar it plays extremly well, The neck is so very thin and the 24th fret is very easy to access as its a V shaped guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This axe was made for playing live. I've already had it a year (some of you will argue I haven't had it long enough to post a review) there's a little wear on the neck pickup and the tune-o-matic bridge where the paint has been what I can only describe as sweat away (nice I know). I have played this guitar every day for a year up to 5 hours at any given time so what can you expect. The Strap locks are incredibly solid and there's no chance what so ever of your strap coming lose. The wings of the guitar have some very small (barely noticable) scratches but this all comes down to how well you treat and take care of your guitar, as many of you with V guitars you will know the wings do take the most hits. Other than that the guitars finish is just as it was a year ago. It has lasted me this long and I'm sure it will still be playing it for many years to come. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for all you metal heads out there, wether you play Thrash, Death, Heavy, What ever your style you wont be disapointed. I've been playing guitar for just over a year now, this was my second guitar, My Epiphone futura fx being my first. I'm a huge Mustaine fan and nothing could beat this guitar for me except a USA custom version of the VMNT or Zero. Sadly I'm not made of money. Countless times I have considered buying this exact same guitar but in Black, It plays so well and never disapoints. If the guitar was ever stolen I would track it down just to bring it home! I love it to bits and I'm sure you will too, Give it a try before you write it off. You wont be disapointed. // 9

Dave Mustaine VMNT Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 16, 2010

Purchased from: www.GAK.co.uk

Features: 2009 Korean built Dean Mustaine VMNT Rust in Peace model. 24 jumbo frets. Mustaine-spec D-profiled neck. Mahogany throughout. Ebony fingerboard. Mustaine-spec inlays (sharkfin plus dot). V-shaped body. Tune-O-Matic bridge and solid stop. Mustaine signature Seymour Duncan active pickups - 2x humbucker. Two volume, one tone control. Grover tuners. Dunlop flush-mount straplocks. Came with a custom Dean hard case and a truss-rod sized allen key. // 10

Sound: In one word - amazing. I bought this guitar on a whim, after starting a band starting out with a couple of Megadeth covers off the Rust in Peace album. For that music, this is (of course) the ultimate guitar. Played clean, the active pups provide a little overdrive to the amp, and when distorted the sound is very rich, with no hum. The pickups really hear each individual string, even when heavily distorted you get a clear sound of every note. This will guitar will never be suitable for the lighter end of rock or pop music, but for its intended market its a beast. I play through a Marshall AVT150 amp, with Boss MT-2, CE-2 and ME-70 effects providing the bulk of my sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at the UK distribution centre, not the factory, and came with a little tag saying so. The setup was fantastic, the action lower than I've ever successfully made any of mine. When I emailed the distributor to thank them, they advised me they used Mustaine signature 10-52 strings by GHS. The top 3 strings are Standard 10, 13 and 17, but the bottom 3 are a heavier 30, 44 and 52, which makes for an increased tonal response, as well as the strings feeling more solid under fast picking. There are a couple of flaws in the finish. On a couple of corners, the Rust in Peace graphic doesn't quite match up, showing a tiny amount of bare wood under the clear lacquer. The nut is also badly fitted, although it is even and well glued in place, its not going anywhere! The neck joint also shows beneath the black lacquer. Other than those minor gripes, the guitar is otherwise well finished and well put together. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was MADE for live playing - why would you not want everyone to see it!? Everything is solid. The Dunlop Straplok system is fantastic, although it was quite tricky fitting the component to the strap itself. Once its on, the strap simply fits into the recess in the guitar's body and won't come out for love nor money. The only concern about live playing is the active circuitry, but there's a simple solution - carry spare batteries! This is my first active guitar, but I've read the batteries last months anyway. The finish is fairly tough, though not as tough as my other guitars. The horns are especially prone to chips, given the thin shape of them, but thats just something to live with on such a shape of instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: Perfect for any metal player. Would work for the heavier end of punk/hardcore etc too. After 16 years of playing, this is the best guitar I've had, including a 1980 Gibson SG. This one is as light as an SG, but with the benefit of good balancing - it sits comfortably on the strap. It took some getting used to the shape, which forces your hands to the left of where they'd be on most other guitars, but I have found this a far more comfortable, natural playing position for myself. It gives you a lot more control over your right hand for picking. For those who don't want the bold statement of the album ART on this particular model, there are other graphic options, as well as plain black or silver versions. // 10

Dave Mustaine VMNT Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: eBay shop

Features: The features are: - Mahogany Top/Body - 25-1/2" Scale - Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck - Ebony fingerboard - Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay - Grover Tuners - Black Hardware - Tune-O-Matic Bridge - Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups The guitar is a silver finish, but you can also get a black finish. There are also VMNT's with graphics on them but they all sound the same from what I played, this came with a Dean hardcase. // 9

Sound: Obviously it's gonna Excel in metal music, particularly thrash metal. I play mainly hard rock (Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith etc) and metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Maiden etc). Whilst this is a versatile guitar, and can play GN'R and Aerosmith pretty well - it's definitely geared towards thrash, but when I bought it I only wanted it for metal - so for that I'm happy. It sounds OK through a clean channel but it's no Fender, but again, that's to be expected. I gave it an 8 because whilst it plays metal very, very well, it isn't as good for other types of music. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set up perfectly when I got it, action was quite low. The neck is really thin so access to the upper frets is great, also the V shape helps with that. The only flaw I saw with this was there was a tiny ding on the headstock, but it's not even noticeable when you're not specifically looking for it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will undoubtedly withstand live playing, it'd built like a tank - I'd never gig without a backup but that's because I'm paranoid, the straplocks are Dunlop Flush Mounts, and they're pretty solid although they took some getting used to as I'd never used them before, as my other guitars don't have them. The finish seems like it will last, and won't wear easily. Only time will tell, but those are my initial thoughts. // 9

Overall Impression: As stated earlier I mainly play hard rock and metal, and for the latter this fits perfectly, I've been playing just over three years and my main rig consists of a Marshall AVT, a '78 Custom Badass Distortion Pedal and a Dunlop Crybaby. My main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and whilst it will still remain my main guitar that's only because a Les Paul is alot more suited to my bands music (hard rock), if it were lost or stolen I wouldn't hesitate in buying it again as it's easily one of the best heavy metal guitars I've played - I've also owned a KH-602 and this blows it out of the water. Also, the exclusion of a Floyd Rose was good for me, as I can't stand them! // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014