Dave Mustaine VMNT Angel Of Death Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 04/20/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNT Angel Of Death
This baby comes loaded with screaming Dave Mustaine Live Wire USA custom active pickups and several other performance enhancing features.
 Features: 8.5
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (2) pictures (3) 30 comments vote for this gear:
Dave Mustaine VMNT Angel Of Death Reviewed by: monsta01, on november 05, 2008

Price paid: A$ 1600

Purchased from: Rockshop NZ

Features: This is a Dean dave mustaine signature guitar made in korea in 2006 I think, it has 24 frets and is a mahogany dave mustaine spec neck so it is wide and flat and is a 25.5' scale neck. The body and neck are both made from mahogany and is has a black finish all over with dave mustaine's angel of deth graphic. Body style is based on a Jackson king v, the bridge is a tune-o-matic with a string thru body, it has active dave mustaine duncan live wires. Tuners are grovers. Came with a hard case with a moulded interioir, jim Dunlop strap locks and an alan key // 8

Sound: I play a variety of music my main being metal and rock but I play jazz and classical aswell, it is perfect for metal because it is a very bassy sounding guitar but it also great for screaming solos. I am currently running it through a Line 6 Spider III 120 watt with a Boss pw10 wah and it sounds great for me I love the sound and how loud the active pickups make my amp go. It is a tad noisy with heaps and heaps of distortion but if you r a gud player you will be able to eliminate that with ur playing style or buy a noise suppressor. the guitar is mostly set up for metal obviously but it does do some quite nice clean tones aswell but it does not look the part for classical or jazz playing styles so really it should stick to metal or rock playing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was quite well set up straight from the factory I haven't changed anything although I think it may have been fiddled with while it was in the store because I knw most guitars aren't so perfect from the get go, the pickups are at a gud height for me the bride pickups could be lowered a bit but no biggy for me. Apart form that everything is absoluetly perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played a Live show with this guitar but I think if taken care of properly it would stand up to a lot although I would always have a backup guitar no matter what. The hardware will last for a long time is is rough and rugged metal that is meant to last. The strap buttons are jim Dunlop strap locks so they will hold your strap on great and if it falls off then you musnt have put it on correctly. The finish is definitly thick and will last as long as the guitar does which I'm hoping is a very long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal and this guitar literally rocks the house. I have been playing four years now and this is the best guitar I have ever played I even like it better than a Gibson les paul and I am a huge fan of them trust me. If it was stolen I would find out Who stole it go to their house and roundhouse kick them until they die the wankers I love this guitar. If I wish it had one thing the only thing is that has 2 volume knobs instead of 2 tone but what can you do? // 10

Dave Mustaine VMNT Angel Of Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2011

Features: This is Dave's signature model the only differance between this one and what he plays is his is USA made and this one's Korean. His sig specs are 24 fret, 25.5 inch scale, D shaped Mustaine approved neck, Mustanie unique inlay, and Dave's signature pickup's, a Tune-O-Matic Bridge set neck construction, string through, Graphtech nut, and Grover tuners. The finish on this guitar is so amazing I saved up for it for 6 months it had 1 bubble in the artwork but I was nitpicking and found it. The active electronics are similar to a jb jazz set with more output and less feedback. The case is great a little big but not too bad. I also fell in love with the strap locks not I only use dunlops. // 9

Sound: Built for metal and this think does its job. I leave it tuned to Standard but it will handle drop tunings. I practice through a Peavey Valve King, but this thing shines through a Marshall JVM or a Mesa I prefer the Marshall just too loud for my bedroom and downstairs hates it. Mahogany body and livewire pickups give you a solid sound that loves overdrive as well as clean amp settings. Note if your gonna scoop your mids you'll prefer EMG 81's or Blackouts but if your gonna crank the mid's to 11 you'll love these. I did put string saver saddles on here but I put them on everything it did kill this things bite a bit but harmonically improved it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I did adjust the action but any seasoned player will its not yours till you fiddle with something. This is the first guitar that I received out of the box that I didn't spend $300 to customize it gave me a whole new view point on Dean guitars the razorbacks are to hit and miss between models and finishes these are all made with quality parts from the $700 model to the USA models. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Take this thing to your next gig people can't take their eyes off this thing and it walks the walk too. The hardware is black and looks and feels solid no need to worry about tarnish. strap lock Standard equipment and balanced button position. Always have a backup save up and get a second Mustaine signature weather it be Rust in Peace, Zero, Fear, or whatever as long as it says Dave Mustaine and has live wires with a set neck. They are going to be releasing a Floyd Rose model soon if I didn't already have a Jackson KV5FR I'd get it still might. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 12+ years and this is the first guitar I have ever loved out of the box prefect for shredding and rhythm it's got Dave's name on it and it lives up to it. I use this as my number 1 with a Jackson KV5FR as a back up and I have an LTD AX-400 all with Duncans. The only thing I wish was that this guitar had string saver saddles and a locking Tune-O-Matic bridge. I'm already thnking about the new Angel of Death 2 because it has a matching graphic but will need adjusted but when I'm done it will be a zero version of this with a rosewood fingerboard insted of ebony. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014