Dave Mustaine VMNT Rust In Peace Review

8.5
review (1) pictures (2) 34 comments vote for this gear:
Dave Mustaine VMNT Rust In Peace Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2011

Purchased from: Beat Street

Features: I have had my eye on one of these for a little over a year now since playing a friends silver VMNT. I finally found one at a great price and made the purchase - and have not looked back, this guitar is frickin awesome. This guitar is a Korean Made 2009 model. -> Mahogany Body -> 25-1/2" Scale -> Mustaine Spec. Mahogany 'D-Shaped' Bound neck -> Ebony fingerboard -> Pearl Sharks Tooth Inlay -> Grover Tuners -> Black Hardware -> Tune-O-Matic Bridge -> Mustaine Duncan Live Wire Pickups It also came with a Dean form-fit hardcase and Dunlop strap locks. // 9

Sound: This guitar screams metal just looking at it, and it sure as hell delivers a great metal tone. These Live Wires are fantastic sounding pickups. I have only ever played EMG actives before, but these Live Wires are really good alround pick ups. My amp is a Randall RH150G3Plus and a Randall 4x12 cab, but this thing still delivers massive chuck through my Marshall MG250DFX practice amp. The clean tone is very full and sounds great in the neck pickup position, as do leads (very warm). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived to me here in Australia set up pretty well and in tune, I only had to drop the action a touch for my personal taste. The binding is neat, the nut and bridge pass with flying colours and the paint is well done. I guess the only complaint about my particular guitar was the Dean logo on the headstock looks a little yellow-ish. Awesome paint though on the body as can be expected from Dean. It is well built and is not top-heavy at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had my guitar a couple of weeks, but can tell you it does take some punishment in rehersal. The strap locks are great and this guitar is the first one I have owned with strap locks. If this guitar was stolen, I would definately replace it, no questions asked. It is light enough to not weigh you down and get uncomfortable on your shoulders after standing up with it for 2-3 hours at a time. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a long time metal fan/player and my other guitars include Razorback, Truckster, Ibanez RG. I still think I like the EMG active pickups a little better but these Live Wires vertainly bring a smile to my face and don't disappoint. This is obviously a guitar for METAL heads. I love my metal and picked this guitar because: A: I am a Dave Mustaine/Megadeth fan from wayback. B: I love the sound of my freinds and had to have one for myself However, the clean tone is really nice and the neck pick up even sounds good playing a little blues as well. But in my opinion, you don't buy one of these to play blues - you buy it to scream metal and this guitar executes this flawlessly. If you have been thinking of getting one of these - JUST DO IT...you wont regret it at all. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014