Dave Mustaine VMNTX Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 06/07/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNTX
With a basswood body and a maple top, a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, and 2 powerful Dean humbuckers, this is an electric guitar that looks and sounds worthy of the flame-haired metal master's name and of a place in your hands!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.3
 8.5
 8.6
 8.3
reviews (4) pictures (4) 71 comments vote for this gear:
Dave Mustaine VMNTX Reviewed by: Beebaboo, on june 04, 2008

Features: This guitar rocks for the price! Has a nice fast bolt-on neck much like a Fender Stratocaster. You can really shred on this thing. Guitar has 24 frets, and the 'V' shaped body really let you get great upper fret access and playability. Rosewood fretboad with Standard Dot inlays. String through body with tunomatic bridge. 2 volume/ 1 tone controls, with a 3 way Switch. Stock Dean Humbuckers. Basically, it's what you get for a $300 guitar. With a killer look and lightning fast neck. // 8

Sound: I play this guitar for metal, and that's what it does best. While it doesn't give you the authentic Megadeth tone, it does give you a great tone for all types of metal. I used this with a Spider III (Yeah, Yeah, I'm getting a valveking soon), and it still made me feel like a metal master. It has a bright sound to it, and does what it set out to do: Give you a metal tone for under $500. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was in great shape. Pickups were in great shape and were nice and sturdy, action was perfect, Bridge was nice. The neck was well fit into the socket, and the finish was so-so. It was kinda sparkly (on the silver model) and looked pretty dull and plastic-y. Pickups selector Switch was a bit F-d up though, but besides that, the guys at Dean sure know how to make a good cheap guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Haven't run into any problems with it, but for small gigs, I would use this guitar without worry. Larger, more wild shows will tear this guitar apart however (not literally, but it will be stressful). Dean did a good job making this guitar, and it is better made than most guitars in the price range. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar gives a nice metal tone for the price, and although the pickups aren't so hot, they get the job done. The guitar looks great, plays great, sounds good, and best of all: It has "Metal" all over it! If you are looking for a metal guitar in the $300 price range, I would definitely recommend it! // 8

Dave Mustaine VMNTX Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2009

Price paid: € 359

Purchased from: Beernaert (Kortrijk, Belgium)

Features: The guitar was made... I think it was in 2008, because at the time, it was a recent model. It has 24 frets, a maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The body and head are black finish. A sharp V-shape (you can stab people with it.) It has dual Dean design black open humbuckers. There are 3 knobs on it and a 3-way tone selector. The pickups can easily be changed by wider pickups, they've left some open space for it. (Sorry if I don't know all the english terms, I wasn't raised english.) The tuners are Mini Grover 6 in line tuners. All the hardware is black, which makes it look very cool. // 8

Sound: I play metal and rock, and I have to say, the guitar is very good for playing those genres. The sound it produces is stunning! My previous guitar was a random cheap Stratocaster by Richwood, and I hated the sound it made. At first, I thought it was my amp (a cheap 10W Volcano). But as soon as I plugged my VMNTX into it, I knew it was the guitar. As I've said, I have a 10W Volcano (you can only swithc High/Low tones and put it on Overdrive), and a Dinaosaur DME-1 effectbar, with 3 pedals in it: Digital Delay (Short/Long, Feedback, Time, Level), Chorus (Depth, Speed, Level) and Overdrive (Distance, Drive, Tone and Level). Well, it also has a 4th pedal to bypass all effects. The guitar's noice is very clean, so I can recommand it to anyone Who doesn't want to spend too much money on a decent guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a couple of small mistakes, being a screw that's not exactly 90 inserted, and the pickups being a bit loose. But it doesn't affect it's playability. Something I have to note about the finish, I play near my desk, which is a marble-top table. And sometimes the long "legs" of the guitar hit the corner of it, which leaves a mark. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very trustworthy to play Live. It has never let me down so far, and that's for nearly a year. The strap buttons are trustworthy as well. Trust me on this one. I would go to a gig with just this guitar, yeah. And as stated above, the marks my table left are invisble at a distance (say 1 meter), the finish will last for ages, as long as you treat it with respect. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, Dave Mustaine plays metal, so ofcourse it fits. At this time, I play for 2 years and 10 months or something. Before I bought it, I was informed, I knew nearly everything about the guitar (online, because the guitar dealer never sold a Dean in his life before). If I would lose my guitar, I don't think I would buy this particular model, I think I would buy the more expensive VMNT, because the VMNTX got me convinced about it's quality and the VMTN has just that little extra. I love it's shape, it looks totally badass, and the you can easily reach the 24th fret because if the cut. Also, the guitar has very nice details, some parts are cut away, such as a part of the outer wingpart and the point where the legs meet is also cut away (inwards). I don't know how to explain this, sorry. I compared it (online... ) with other deans, but since I'm a big fan of Megadeth and Dave Mustaine, this one had that advantage. It's my first Dean, but it's certainly not the last one I'll be buying! There's only one downside, and it's the fact that it doesn't have a tremelo, my previous guitar had one, and I enjoyed playing that. But then again, one of my next Dean's will have it. Love and bruises to y'all! // 8

Dave Mustaine VMNTX Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2010

Purchased from: Eddy Piano (Hong Kong)

Features: You won't believe it is a China made guitar. Just like you won't believe Jackson X series guitar is made in Japan. # Bolt on 24 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard # Dual Dean design black open humbuckers # Black hardware # Mini Grover 6 in line tuners # Mustaine neck profile // 8

Sound: I believe who buy Dean and V shape guitar should be a metalhead. I play 80's thrash metal, Melodic death metal and metalcore like Metallica, Slayer, Lamb of God, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine and Children Of Bodom. I use a Randall RX120, DigiTech Metal Master and Biyang EQ. Before getting the guitar, I believe that I must replace the pickups by EMG81/85. However, when I plug the guitar to my amp, the sound surprised me. The bridge pickup sound likes a killer, thin and mid range which like an EMG81. Very 80's thrash metal sound. Yes, this is Dave, Megadeth signature. haha. However, when I Switch to neck pickup, it comes with a lot of noisy which cannot acceptable. I believe it is cause by the wiring workmanship. I don't use the neck pickup now. Anyway, the pickups must be replaced but it is really good pickup for a US$300 guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar set-up at the factory also surprised me. The action is very good. The guitar fitting and finish is very good even compare with Jackson X series from Japan. I believe that the pickup wiring must has problem as I watched few review before buying also said the wiring problem. The strings come with is poor but you must replace it anyway. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just got it yesterday and not playing over a hour. According to the workmanship and other reviews, it should be reliability. However, I pointed out many times that the pickup wiring is a big problem. You better pay $200 to replace it. When I wearing guitar, it is very comfortable. Someone may think that the pickup Switch is wiring wrong. In my opinion, it is correct. The upper volume button should be for bridge pickup and the lower volume button for neck. It should be for convince for you to Switch off the volume easier. You try and you know what I am talking about. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my 5th guitar. I played 5 years and I have Ibanez MTM-2 changed SD SH-6 pickup, Epiphone Les Paul Stand, Jackson DKMGT with EMG 81/85 and Jackson SL3 Soloist. I want to buy a V shape guitar so I went to music store and tried Jackson RX10D ($700), Jackson KVX10 ($700), LTD Alexi-600 ($950), Dean VMNT ($950) and VMNTX ($350). My budget is under $1,000. I like Jackson RR very much and want to buy it at the beginning. However, when I tried DEAN. It changed my mind. Dean guitar is not popular in Hong Kong. There has only around 10 styles Dean guitars for selection. The Dean VMNT is made in Korea which ask for $950 is too expensive, I better pay $1600 to buy a ESP from Japan. The VMNTX is from China and $350 is reasonable. And the workmanship is even better than Jackson RX10D and KVX10. I think this guitar can sell $650 with EMG81/85 which is perfect. // 10

Dave Mustaine VMNTX Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2013

Purchased from: MuziK

Features: Is from the year 2011 I think, it was made in China. It have Baswood body and Maple neck with Solid-top. The finish is shiny silver finish. She've the classic body and bridge style of Dave's guitars (the classic Dean Flying V). She've passive electronics with a 3-way selector, 1 volume control and 2 tone control. She've 2 Dean humbuckers mics, but they're easy to change despite it sound really good. She've come with him case. It come with very beautiful features for the price payed. It's a very beautiful guitar and it worth it. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of types of metal and sometimes rock. I've a Ross 25rg amplifier and a Zoom GX1N and really it sounds like a 1st class guitar. In distortion channel it sounds aggressive and sharp, it's great for rythm guitar but best for play a lot of solos. It's a versatile guitar, and it's great to play different styles, but the metal it's him favourite. When you play for example blues it's not sound really very good.. The guitar is made to played thrash metal and that it's all. I'm very happy with the sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is very well made ​​with a termination almost excellent. The mics are placed perfectly in place and everything is set to perfection. The only bad thing is the welding circuit cables, that stink, I think if I welded it looked better. But despite everything, it has very good finishes and it did not come with any failure. Also this very neatly painted and when opened the box the guitar had a protection to cover the tips and risky places to hit. Practically is almost perfect, except for the bloody details of the big brands. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Guitar is a long life, but with a lot you have to be careful. As I said before the paint is perfect and difficult to score. To transport also have to be very careful as it is a large and showy guitar. Quietly can stand playing in front of thousands of people, you have to have him confidence. It is advisable to change the mics after a while of having it and put a Seymour Duncan Mustaine's Set, for less money because we are having nearly a VMNT.It looks to have for a long life as I said, highly recommended. // 10

Overall Impression: I play from blues to death metal, and the guitar really fits quite well to all styles. Buy this guitar because my idol is Mustaine, if they steal it, lose it or something happened probably would return to pick this Dean. At the time of purchase had to decide between this Dean, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard II, one Dean Squier Stratocaster or other which I forget the name. I chose this guitar for its striking form and presence considering the sound and aesthetic. It has everything that a true rocker or metalhead may be looking at a guitar from medium to high. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014