Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 01/06/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination
This is a surprisingly amazing guitar, the sound was amazing, through my Spider III amp, with my POD 2.0 it sounds awesome.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.4
 9.4
 7.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination Reviewed by: KillerLolrus, on april 06, 2010

Purchased from: gearhounds

Features: United Aboninations Graphic Mahogany Top/Body 25.5" Scale Dave Mustaine Spec Bolt-on Maple "D-Shaped" Neck Rosewood fretboard Pearl Dot Inlays Dual Dean DMT Design Humbuckers Pickups Black hardware Mini Grover 6 in line tuners Mustaine neck profile I did not get any special things along side this (IE: Case, or tools or anything) // 7

Sound: This is a surprisingly amazing guitar, the sound was amazing, through my Spider III amp, with my POD 2.0 it sounds awesome, and don't get the thing wrong, it may have a thrash metal album cover look (as it is what it is) but I can play a variety of music Blues, jazz, metal, heavy metal, thrash, speed, death metal. It can do it all, you can't expect it to be perfect though its stock pickups aren't SUPER AMAZING but for 300$ there pretty damn good, better then any other 300-500 Dean or ESP you'll find. Compared to my Dean Razorback, and ESP Ec-50 that I've owned and all the other ones I tried at Tom Lee, and GC this one knocked them outta the park. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box the guitar was perfectly setup, .9 gauge strings in standard, of course i switched them although they were brand new and in no need to be changed, I swapped them for power slinky's there were no setup problems at all it was just amazing. The pickups could of been stronger but hey, its a 300$ guitar, they were top notch for the price i payed, you can't expect top dog Duncans or EMGs for that price, the one thing that I really have to note is that the fret access which is important for alot of people was OUTSTANDING, along side its incredibly low Action, for a bolt on neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never played live, and the strap buttons suck. But I havint had any paint from the graphic come off yet its pretty damn good, and its not that heavy chunky Dean head so its well balanced. Its a solid axe. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Thrash, heavy, speed, and death metal mainly, but I do play some classic rock and blues and this guitar fits all of them surprisingly. I've been playing for almost 2 years now, and I currently have a Jackson RR24, POD 2.0, Spider III amp, Xiphos XPT700XH, This guitar, a Dean Razorback, Wah pedals, Distort pedals, Loop pedal, and some other stuff. This guitar was an amazing purchase but seeing as it was a 300$ guitar that I've now pushed aside for my higher end guitar I wouldn't replace it, if it was still one of the only two axes I had I might of replaced it at one point but not anymore, I didn't hate it at all I really liked it, the frets were the perfect size, it was 24 fret, good access, low action, good tone, good for all my genres, and it was just awesome, if your looking into a V I suggest you get a VMNTX it doesnt't have to be the United abomination one, you can just get the other one but this is an awesome V. My old wishes is it was Through neck, better quality wood, and had better pickups but that's pretty much the VMNT series of Dave Mustaines customs haha so you know they already make that. // 10

Dave Mustaine VMNTX United Abomination Reviewed by: alejandro1010, on january 06, 2012

Purchased from: Music City Guitar Outlet

Features: I got this guitar at a good price, My guitar is silver, it does not have the United Abominations graphic. You can find the dealer of eBay. On the lowerback of the head stock it say "Made In China" whether it means the wood is from china, the neck is from china, or the whole guitar is from china, I do not know. This guitar has 24 frets, which is enough for me to play guitar, the most a guitar can have is 25 frets, but I never needed to use that 25th fret. The neck is very skinny, so I can reach between strings quickly, just how I like it, the neck is long, but it's no problem switching between lower and higher frets. The body is made of Basswood, it gleems it's shiny and smooth it's beautiful. The neck is rosewood, it smooth and shiny, I've had my guitar for almost 3 months, with all my playing, it's felt like 6 months, but the guitar looks like it's brand new. The headstock is maplewood it has Dave Mustaine's signature on it which makes the guitar something to brag about, even though it's a printed signature copy. I've always been a fan of V-guitars, and I love this one because of the sharp edges. It has A string-thru-body design with makes changing strings a pleasure, the Tune-O-Matic Bridge keeps the tune perfect for about 8 days it depends on how much you play (I play 6 hours a day), then you need to do a little tuning. This model has Dean humbuckers not Dave Mustaine Seymor Duncans. But you can get them for about $170 and I plan to do that, that'll save me about $400 because I paid $217, the pickups are $170 and the VMNT is around $800 the only difference between the VMNT, and the VMNTX is that the VMNT neck is bolted on the body and the inlays, and the pickups for the VMNT is The Dave Mustaine Pickups. So keep that in mind: If you buy a VMNTX and upgrade the Pickups; you got yourself a VMNT at half price. But back to the review: the Dean Pickups sound awesome, you might want to keep them if you replace them I know I will, because If you buy another guitar, a Jackson, for example, these pickups are gonna sound better than the Jackson generic pickups. The Tuners are Grover Tuners which are permanetly lubricated, so tuning your guitar is effortless. The guitar comes with A guitar-amp cable and a allen wrench (Keep The Wrench!!! It's Crucial!!!) // 10

Sound: This is a guitar for anyone, the pickups are for Funk, Metal, Alternative, Rock, Country, and even Jazz, but the guitar looks like it's for metalheads which I am. I, at first hooked this guitar amp with a Fender Frontman 15G Amp, this amp (as I would soon discover) I horrible, the amp only offered Trebble, Middle, and Bass! But this guitar sounded awesome, so you can only imagine this music this thing put out when I bought a 75-watt Line 6 Spider III. If you turn the tone knob Counter-clockwise all the way, then you got yourself a Blues Guitar, Country Guitar, Jazz Guitar, if you turn it half way, then you got yourself a alternative, Softrock, John Mayer-Like Guitar. If You Crank it All the Way Clockwise, you got yourself a metalhead's treasure, This will create a crunchy, chunky beautiful metal tone that you expect to hear in Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Slipknot, Anthrax, System Of A Down, or any Death/Black/Heavy/Punk Metal Band, Thanks To the built in effects in my Line 6 such as Flanger, Overdrive, Distortion, Wah Wah, Reverb, Distortion, and stuff like that I can play just like the pros, this guitar is great because of the variety of music I can Play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar Is is made well. The strings that come with this guitar suck, replace them, but other than that I saw no problem, although the only problem was scary but not that big of a deal: I was once changing my strings, I put a String on the saddle, as I tried to line it up with the nut, with too much speed, I hit the nut it fell off, I panicked, but then I bought some Super glue and put it back on, successfully I might add. But it was my fault, Just know it can happen. And if the happen to notice the saddle comes out, but that's a plus! The saddle is made of metal and it comes out so you can adjust is to you liking, in case you accidentally forget if the saddle is on the way, know this: the side with the screws face the pickups this guitar was built perfectly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last forever, It can definitely withstand gigs the guitar is strong enough to. This guitar seems to me like it will play and keep me happy for many years to come. Be sure to take precautions The Strap Button is pretty large, it didn't appear to me that the strap was gonna slip off. Whether it was paranoia, saftey or just plain common sense (maybe all of these), I got strap locks. I couldn't trust it, even though I went 2 Months without straplocks, The strap didn't slip out, I didn't want to stick around to see if the strap could stay In, but even though I went 2 Months without a slip, I would always recommend strap locks, You'll never know when it slips so prevent the slipping altogether, especially if you're going to gigs. The paint Has Never Chipped, and I one accidentally hit a wall with my guitar really hard, not a single chip This guitar is gonna last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, but this guitar will play it all. I've been playing for 6 months but I'm no beginner, This guitar is for those who love music A guitar like this is only for those who play it regularly and are comminted. This guitar is Dean's best I recommend it to anyone who is serious about guitars. If anyone stole this, I would track 'em down and get my guitar back, I would buy a new one since it's cheap and a quality guitar, but mine is definitely a big deal since it's my first electric. I love the look, I love the sound, I love that there's nothing to hate! This is better then all of Dave Mustaine's Jacksons, ESP's and It's the best in Value for his Dean Lineup. I recommend this to anyone and everyone. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014