Deceiver FMF Review

6.8
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Deceiver FMF Reviewed by: hippoismentall, on december 08, 2011

Purchased from: MB Music

Features: I bought this a wee while ago as I wanted a Dean guitar but since I play everything from Rush to Slayer I didn't want one of the more extravagant shaped beasts. Made in Korea 2010/11 this Deceiver FMF is a Les Paul shaped guitar with a flame maple top and mahogany body and set neck and is transparent Scary Cherry in colour and you can see the nice flame maple through it easy. There are some nice abalone body binding around the edges on the top and a sort of dark grey on the edge which suits the guitar. The mahogany neck has 24 frets with a round C profile and the inlays are of Deans Deceiver style on an ebony fretboard. I have to say the nickel coloured frets are pretty top quality compared to some of the other guitars I have and the neck in general is pretty nice to play. The headstock is nicely shaped and the only unsightly part is there's a bulge where the neck joins the headstock but having seen Trivium drop a Dean guitar live and the head fall off I can see its now there for strength purposes. It has black Grover tuners and a Floyd Rose Original tremelo and locking nut. The pickups are EMG 81 and 85 humbuckers which are active and there is only one volume and one tone control. A 3 way switch in the usual Les Paul place completes the electronics. The guitar finish is amazing and I find myself not wearing tops with zips in case I scratch it (well it is my baby and even my girlfriend is getting a bit jealous !) When I bought this I spent another 70 pounds buying a Dean Solitero case which fits the guitar perfect. // 10

Sound: The sound coming from it is good and I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 amp which puts out some good tones on its own. I play anything from Aerosmith to Slayer but I bought this guitar mostly for Rock/ Heavy metal and I have 2 other guitars (BC Rich Warlock with Seymour Duncan Invader pickups and a Fender HM Strat with OBL pickups) so I don't really need much from this guitar versatility wise. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this guitar is not as good as I'd have liked for a guitar at this price as there is some fret buzz around the 3rd fret and the action is quite high in my opinion. The guitar is still very playable and easy to bend strings etc. The tremelo is excellent and even after a Session of pretending I was Eddy Van Halen it was still perfectly in tune. The one thing I have found wrong is that the jack socket comes loose so a couple of times I've had to re tighten it but I think some threadlock will sort this out once and for all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Gigging I think this would be a good guitar but I would always take a spare no matter what guitar I was playing live anyway. The hardware seems pretty robust and as long as I keep it clean I'd hope the guitar keeps its good looks for a long time. I recently bought a good soft cloth made by Dunlop, Dunlop formula 65 cleaner and some GSH Fast Fret which should keep the guitar/strings clean. Mine is kept in its case when not in use but even then its getting covered in dust/beard hair/dandruff etc and on such a nicely finished guitar you can see smear marks where I've touched it so cleanliness is essential. // 9

Overall Impression: If it was stolen I would replace it in an instant and would recommend anyone to get one if they are looking for that style of body shape but not wanting a real Les Paul. What I really like about this guitar is the colour and the neck join which you cannot see, mind you my eyes are not the same anymore but its still a thing of beauty :o)} PS This guitar came fitted with D'Addario strings which was a bonus. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014