Dime-O-Flage ML Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 12/22/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Dime-O-Flage ML
This is a bolt-on neck basswood body guitar with Zebra pickups. With a Tribute crest on the headstock and a Dimebag Quad image sticker on body, this guitar features the Dimebag traction knobs, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and chrome hardware.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 8.3
 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (3) 52 comments vote for this gear:
Dime-O-Flage ML Reviewed by: blacklabelsdmf, on december 26, 2006

Features: The Dean Dime-O-Flage ML I got was a 2006 used one on clearance made in communist china. It's a 22 fret guitar with a maple neck and rosewood fret board with the black painted V headstock and the words "Dime" in shadow style across the headstock between the tuners. The body, if I'm correct, is made from mahogany and has a satin finsih over the shadows of dime with the snow camoflauge colors. Of course, it is Dean's popular ML body style with the V shape at the end and an extra wing where the cutaway on a les paul would be. There is a chrome V after the bridge where it is string-thru. Passive electronics with neck volume and bride volume with only one tone know. The volume knobs have Dime's trac grips on them for faster movement. Because of the two volume knobs and the three way Switch, you can sytle cut-off into playing, such as Randy Rhoads does on his Live "Suicide Solution" solo. Bridge and neck pickup with tape on the edges of the bridge pickup like Dime did to his Dean From Hell and other guitars. I put a Seymour Dimebucker in the bridge and the thing sounds and looks f--kin' A. Grover tuners also help keep in tune, espicialy when playing PanterA with all those bends. Overall, badass guitar, looks and sounds. // 9

Sound: Yes it does. I play metal, blues, and southern metal. The guitar suites metal, but is horible on blues. The pickups aren't muddy enough for playing blues, but being a high output guitar it's meant for metal. I play through a DigiTech RP80 multifx with Mesa Rectifier and Marshal JCM800 amp mods through a Sears XL5 clean half stack. The guitar screams and it perfect for almost any kind of metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is a well built piece. It looks badass with the camoflauge finish and shadow of Dimebag. It was used so there were some signs of wear on the serial code and a small crack near the neck. The pickup selector is loud ass hell and you have to be damn carefull about geting sound that you don't want while you're playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: With normal people playing a gig, hell yeah; with the crazy bastards I play with I don't know, they'll destroy anything but I put my trust in Dean that the build a fine guitar that will last to anything. The hardware is built for a millenium and a half, especially with the Grover tuners and trac grips on the volume knobs. It would be kinda edgy about using this without a backup. If I had like 4 Dime-O-Flages with the 4 diffrent tunings I demand (E, D, Drop D, Drop C) and stock pickups, yeah, I could shure as hell do that. The finish is damn thick and is great at protecting the badass graphics under it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing my guitar ever since I heard Ozzy Osbounre's "Crazy Train" and got big into hair metal back in 2004. I have been into BLS, Pantera, Down, and other southern metal since earlier in 2006. I own a Yamaha FG-75 acoustic guitar, a Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul, and a Silvertone 1960. The two things I wish came on the guitar that come on Dime's other Deans are the Floyd Rose and Dimebucker, but I already knocked one of those off the list. It it were stolen, I'd hunt down the motherf--ker who stole it, beat the shit out of them, and take my my axe. I love the guitar because it is Dimebag Darrell. Favorite stock item on the guiar would be the graphics, Dean's headstock, and the trac grips on the knobs. I compared this guitar to the Dime Tribute ML and the Dime Razor Tribute (not Razorback) The big diffrence between the Razor Tribute was the neck pickup and the big diffrence between the tribute ML was the graphics. The Tribute ML was only black with a sticker of the cowboys from hell. // 10

Dime-O-Flage ML Reviewed by: Evil646260, on february 07, 2007

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Atlanta

Features: Not sure what year it was first introduced, or any of that. The neck is a three piece made from I believe it to be mahogany (not too sure don't quote me on that). Satin finish with the dime shadows along the guitar. the tuners are non-locking making it easier to switch tuning in mid-set/song. V style body with extra wing so that you can play sitting down (very difficult with Standard V). Two volume knobs to control the pickups and one tone knob. And a laminated finish so that the paint wont chip. Okay enough with the techy stuff. // 8

Sound: I play metal, a lot of metal, and some slower rock. This guitar is incredibly suited for both, with a smooth fast action and barely any string buzz. When I bought it the low E had a little because of how the bridge was set. After raising the bridge a little the buzz was gone and the action had no changes. Right now I'm playing off of a spyder 2 and a weeping Demon wah pedal. The guitar has a rich full tone to it, making it perfectly interchangable between soft and hard songs. The artifiial harmonics along the guitar are easy to hit for some strange reason. I have an Ibanez GIO as well and the harmonics are nearly impossible. But with my dime the chimes come out clean and perfectly. With a heavy distortion the guitar really shows it's colors. Chords swell with feriocity and single notes ring clear everywhere on the neck. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings let a little to be desired, the action was fine but the string buzz was annoying, But with a minor adjustment the buzz was easily removed from the guitar without affecting the action. The action was set incredibly low to the guitar making the numerous speed techniques quite easy to pull off. The pickups were set perfectly, no problems or complaints from them at all. The bridge is set completely aligned with the guitar and proportioned dead center. The guitar contained no flaws to the paint, body, headstock, or tuning. The control knobs and switch are set in tight enough to where you can't accidently turn one, or fall off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is perfect for Live shows, it looks, sounds, and feels great. The neck is smooth as silk and easy to navigate. The hardware has shown no problems so far so I believe it's reliable enough for just about anything, other than smashing it along the ground the guitar can stand any knicks with doors or drops on the floor without damaging the hardware or finish. One problem I've always had with other guitars is the input where you plug into. It's always came loose or snapped or something. But with this guitar I've played like a madman and everytime I plug in it works perfectly, very reliable. You can definatly count on this guitar for any set you would want. But don't be dumb and play without a backup! It's survived with me playing it for almost a year now and I've seen no problems so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, with extended solos and shredding everywhere. And this guitar is by far better suited for these catagories than anything else. But whenever I play for my woman I flip the pickup selector and the guitar becomes a soft yet vibrant electric, well suited for the clean tones and finger picking. All around very well done guitar. The only thing I really wish I could change about this guitar is that it only has 22 frets, most of the guitars I've owned had at least 24, so it's hard adapting to the loss of the last two frets. I compared it to my old RG, Warlock and GIO and this is the best guitar I own. My favorite feature this guitar carries is the tuning keys, they do not lock, yet they stay in tune through every bend, vibrato, legato, or any other fancy techniques. Which from my experience with Ibanez, and Fender, is very very rare. The guitar is also perfectly set for use with a "good" wah pedal, cheap ones are not recommended for this guitar. If someone ever took this from me I would become the jigsaw killer from Saw, only difference is that I wouldn't give them a way to escape. // 9

Dime-O-Flage ML Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 22, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Mine is a 2006 Chinese made model, bought off eBay a year ago. It has 22 frets, laminated top and graphics, with a laminated headstock, I'm unsure of the material (I just play guitar, I don't know much about them), it's got the traditional Explorer/V shape of an ML, String-thru body, 2 Zebra humbucking Pickups (which I keep meaning to change), 3 way pickup selector, and volume and tone controls. I just bought the guitar, no accessories. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal, and for that it sounds excellent. However, if you try playing something like blues, jazz etc. Then the sound quality is pretty poor. I play it through a crappy Peavey tube amp, with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, and it actually sounds pretty good. I've played a friends Gibson Les Paul Standard through this exact setup, and the Dean easily matches it. The pickup selector isn't too noisy, not the smoothest, but it'll do. The Dean can achieve a good variety of sounds, from Dimebag style buzzsaw riffs, to Zakk Wylde style pinch harmonics, without too much fuss. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine came with a pretty poor set-up (I blame the previous owner), a high action, that made chords a pain in the ass. I've since had it sorted out, and it's now got a nice, low action, perfect for numerous fancy techniques, and rapid playing. The pickups were wired nicely, and adjusted properly, the bridge needed a slight adjustment (hence the high action). One problem though. There is an issue with the nut. I think this may be my fault, but after a years near constant use, the nut seems to have gone mad. The 2nd string will not stay in it's slot (more on that in the next section). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live a few times, and it still works, so it's good in that respect, but there are a few issues creeping in. The pickups are starting to get weird, and then there's the previously mentioned problem with the nut. I've started improvising, to accomodate an unreliable 2nd string, that can boing out of it's slot at any time. I would take a backup to a gig if I were you, I'm recently starting to doubt it's durability. // 4

Overall Impression: The guitar suits my style of music perfectly, so it's good in that area, but in the scheme of things, with the whole reliability issue, I'd recommend you look elsewhere. It's perfect for someone who plays infrequently, constant use causes it problems. I've recently played a cheaper Yamaha Pacifica, and while it doesn't match the Dean for sound quality, for overall use it's probably better. My friend, who's a full time musician, has played one for 4 years, and it's never failed him. I say this because these guitars are evenly matched price wise. In all honesty, this guitar is a mixed bag. // 7

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ ML XF 6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014