Dime-O-Flame Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 05/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Dime-O-Flame
The Dime-O-Flame ML electric guitar is a set-neck guitar with a floyd rose tremolo, plus Dimebucker and DiMarzio pickups. With a mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fingerboard, this guitar features the Dimebag traction knobs.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 8.5
 8.4
 8.4
 8.3
reviews (6) pictures (1) 117 comments vote for this gear:
Dime-O-Flame Reviewed by: a real DEAD one, on july 14, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Hangar

Features: Not sure what year it was made but it was crafted in Korea. Looking at the price I thought it would be made in the US. Dispite the place it was made it's built real tough and can shred like no other. It's got 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard and dot perloid inlays. It's also got a thru neck. I hate dot inlays but these ones look pretty sick. It's got a pretty thin neck so you can speed up and down it really fast. The paintjob it has is ridiculous, one of the best paintjobs ever. If you look near the knobs there is a skull set In Flames. It's got an ML design which was Dimebag's signature style, if your a Dimebag fan this guitar is a must have. It's got a wicked nice floyd rose trem. It stays in tune quite well even when my friend dives as ahrd as he possibly can. It has a Humbucker at the neck, whih is a more warm sounding one for nice acoustics, and a Dimebucker at the bridge for a bright amazing sound to it for real shredding. It's got two volume knobs that have the Dime traction things on them and one tone knob. It]s got a 3-way selector also. I bought this guitar and it came with the case, which costs about 100 bucks anyways. // 10

Sound: I play heavy metal music, anything from agressive thrash to pure shred. I like a bright sound that I can solo with without worrying about a crappy dark sound. The Dimebucker allows a bring sound that you can make your solos sound clear and bright. This fits me perfectly because when I need a nice warm acoustic sound for ballads or somthing I can switch to my neck pickup that allows a perfect warm sound. The combination of the two pickups allow a perfect sound for anything. I have a Boss Metal Zone in which I like to put the high up all the way and middle frequecy up too to create a brighter sound, The pickups allow for the sound to be carried out perfectly. Its not noisy at all the notes come out as clear as day. The variety of sounds you can shoot of of this thing is crazy, it is a very diverse guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up to last and take damage. You know how Dimebag plays this guitar is made for agressive music and in your face stuff. The pickups are adjusted to perfection and have a great sound. Everything was routed fine, I bought it through a small owned guitar shop so the guy makes sure everything is cleaned up and fixed eprfectly so of course it was all cool. The guitar was put together like God himself put it together. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Dimebag played this guitar live so yea it's built to last and shred as aggressive as possible. I'm an agressive player and so is anyone else I know that plays this guitar too. I never though about anything crapping out on this guitar, it's built way to well for it to just fall apart. I wouldn't bring a back up with this guitar it has everything I need and it won't break. I love it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match with what I play. It goes from agressive to warm acoustics to bright sounding solos and dark crunchy powerchords. The harmonics are crazy too. I've been playin for like 9 years and this is the best gutiar I've ever played. I compared it to other Dean MLs and the hardware is all the same so I was like "Okay flame paintjob, yea this one!" I think that if It was stolen I would beat the person who stole it so bad he would have to be addmitted into a mental hospital becasue everytime he sees a guitar he would pull his hair out and tear his flesh from his bones and gouge his eyes out becasue I beat him so bad. I love this guitar like a son. Of course floyd roses are always a bitch but who could say no do a chance to use one. Overall this guitar was clearly the best choice for me, its a less expensive (by maybe 100 or 200 bucks) Dimebag signature that can really shred and you will love it. // 10

Dime-O-Flame Reviewed by: god of gnar123, on june 18, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I'd give this a 1000 if I could but I cant. Not sure exactly were it was made. It says us in one spot and korea in another. 22 fret if I'm correct. It has this insane graphic of fire. It's a solid body guitar. Rosewood fretboard I think? It's an ml body(the one that looks like a big X. Now heres where it gets gnarly. Floyd Rose bridge with a locking tremelo. Grover tuners. Seymore duncan pickups. It's got a volume knob, two ton knobs, and a 3 way selector. This guitar came with a hard cased bag two sets of strings, and a 12 pack of tortex picks. // 10

Sound: This guitar obviousley is a heavy metal guitar considering the shape, finish, and the single fact that its a dimebag darell guitar. its sounds great with any metal. I myself play a lot of prieast and Megadeth and sabbath but i also play a lot of creednce and other classic rock and blues and it still sound beatiful. But don't get me wrong, playing elvis on a dimebag guitar is gonna look kinda wierd. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws what so ever. Everything is on the right way however the pickuos are a little shAKEY BUT aren't they all. Aldo at the ends of the pickups are these black stickers... don't remove them. I made that mistake. it's not gonna Hurt to much if you do but I think they are ther to protect the dust from going into rhe edge of the pickup otherwise alls good in the hood. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't tell you anything a bout this because I've only had this guitar for about 3 days but so far so good. I'm sure it will last.you always need a backup at a gig but you most likely wouldn't use it. The finish is on their pretty thick. I think it has like some glaze or something over it so it shouldn't be coming off. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for any form of metal. I've been playing for roughly a year and 7 or 8 months. I play this guitar with a Crate gx-40 amp( which is also a wonderful amp I got used for $50) and a Boss metal zone mt2 pedal(great pedal by the way) and ocasionally I use the DigiTech RP150(which I also made a review for). If this thing was stolen for sure I would by another. I love everything about it the Floyd Rose, the shape, the pick ups, the sound quality, and everything else. Nothing a bout this guitar is hateable but it is heavier than most guitars. Compared to my old Silvertone piece of shit, this thing would be like the globetrotters verse the last place 5 year old teamn in russia. This guitar deservas an A+++. Good work Dean. Two wings up. // 10

Dime-O-Flame Reviewed by: saitenslayer, on november 27, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: Not exactly sure what year this guitar was brought in to production or which year mine was built, This guitar was crafted in Korea, 22 jumbo frets, Mahogany body with a set Mahogany neck and rosewood finger board with pearl Dot inlay, 24-3/4" scale, and a comfortable "U" shaped neck. The cool thing about the neck on this guitar is and first glance it does not seem to be a set neck because of the way the neck joint has been crafted, but it is a set neck. This guitar features a all black finish on the neck and back of the guitar, and one hell of a hot paint job on the front (if you look close by the input jack there's a skull on fire) and Cream (I guess) bindings on the neck. Black Grover machine heads, Deans famous ML body shape A Seymour Duncan SH-13 "Dimebucker" bridge treble pick up for you shreaddin solos and leads and a Dean stock humbucker in the neck for all your clean passages, With a three way selector (Up=Neck position, Middle=Both, Down=Bridge pick up) with two "Dime traction" volume knobs and one master tone, licensed double locking Floyd Rose bridge with a trem block built with it so with a twist of a screw you can completely block the action of the tremolo, and to top it off a Dean classic "V" shaped head stock with firey explosion, I guess you could call it, on the head stock with "DIME" printed in big bold letters in the middle and a truss-rod cover with ML on it, my guitar came with a gig bag (mine was purchased used) and I believe newly ordered ones come with a Dean Standard Hard shell ML case (Which is a deal because I had to get mine separate from my Dimeblade and it was another 120 bucks! ) // 10

Sound: The pickups in this guitar are great, I am currently running a DigiTech RP350 through a Crate GLX120OH head and a GX412R cab, and it sounds ok, to get the most out of this guitar you should have a tube amp (as appears makes most guitars sound better anyway) the neck pick up can get Really nice clean bright tones, I use this guitar in jazz band at school and sounds great, and the bridge pick up gets great gain response and takes away a lot of fuzz and is good for just about any genera that requires a good rich distortion sound (too learn more about the SH-13 look and my review for it. The guitar has amazing sustain it can keep going for hours, with the Floyd Rose you can make all your favorite dive bomb and other signature Floyd Rose sounds // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased this guitar used so it came with a few bad scratches on the back, but that's only because it was used, and the wood holding the screws for the trem-block were stripped but was simply because it was used other than that this guitar is absolutely stunning and will get your attention love it or hate it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for a good 3-4 months now so I haven't had the chance to play a show with it yet but I'd say this guitar is trustworthy enough to hold up through a show, I put on strap locks as soon as I got the guitar so I cam make sure it doesn't fall and dent/scratch itself. I play this guitar very often and the finish doesn't have one scratch on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I tend to play pretty much everything from jazz to metal, and this guitar is great for both, this is my favorite guitar out of my Ibanez and Dimeblade, I've wanted this guitar for awhile and now that I finally have one it is all I thought it would be. I've been playing for about a year and a half, if this was lost or stolen I'd be devastated and would defiantly purchase another, I love pretty much everything about this guitar the pups, tuners, body shape, size, feeling/shape of the neck, paint job, as much as I love the floyd adjusting the springs to the string tension is a pain in the ass but I think every one can relate, but thankfully it has the trem block built on so I can apply that and freely tune just like a tune-o-matic bridge. Plus, ye my hero is Dimebag Darrell so what's better to have then one of the cowboy from hell's favorite guitars. // 10

Dime-O-Flame Reviewed by: Guitar Sushi, on may 17, 2010

Features: This is a korean made guitar which I have nothing against since in my experience they are just as good as the rest. It has 22 regular frets with perl inlays. It has an ok graphic finish that when you look at the detail is actually quite pixelated and low quality. The guitar is set-neck and NOT NECK-THRU like other would have you believe. The bridge is a LICSENSED FLOYD and NOT an original. The guitar also comes with one dimebucker on the bridge and 1 normal Dean pickup in the neck. Unlike many of the biased and ridiculous reviews I have previously read, I will rate this on the FEATURES and not my opinion. So taking into account the Licsensed trem, The dimebucker and the Dean pickup and the low quality graphic. I will give it a six. // 6

Sound: I have two amps, 1 is a Randall GH150 and the other is a Peavey 6505. The Dean itsel is the opposite of the word "versatile" and can only play metal. The style of music I play is of a very large range so I like a guitar that can make many tones. Unfortunately, not only can the Dean only play metal, but it only plays one style of metal and that is dirty metal. This is because the dimebucker gives a very dirty sound, quite the opposite of an EMG which would give a super clear sound. The Dean neck pickup is maybe good for sweeping and that is all. I have three other guitars along with this. The Epiphone Les Paul, Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and the 2009 Ibanez RG1527M. Both my Schecter and my Ibanez are both about 10 times more versatile and FEEL MUCH BETTER (I'll talk about this later). The Dean absoloutely cannot do cleans, they come out like a dying animal and whenever I have shown any professional guitarists the sound, they actually cringe at the cleans. Overall because of the lack of versatiliy and the muddy-ness of the dimebucker, I will give give this a six also. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seemed to be flawless (in terms of setup) when I first got it. I didn't even adjust the action since it was at a great level, which for me is pretty low but not too much. As far as I can tell, everything was aligned properly and there was no fret buzz (to start with). The only problem was that there was a screw missing the back! So I can't give it a ten. I only give tens when everything is PERFECT/ // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is the section were this guitar is basically a piece of crap. First of all, of course the guitar will "withstand" live playing. Since playing live is the same as playing your bedroom technically as far as "guitar risk" goes. In terms of travelling around with it, no, I would not trust it and I'll tell you why. After a few months of owning the guitar, one of the saddles on the liscensed trem broke and I had to have it replaced. After about a year the trem had signification rust and the pickups were already beginning to gain extra buzz. Half a year later the screws that hold in the strap began not to stay in and no matter how tightly I screwed them they kept coming out. This I found to be the result of the would decaying so the screw no longer fit :(! I was very unimpressed. Nowadays I refuse to play the bloody thing since I don't want it damaged anymore so I can sell it to some unsuspecting customer. Funnily enough, everyone who checks out the guitar (and doesn't know Dean thus hasn't been advertised to) thinks the guitar is a piece of crap. For this secrion I'm gonna give it four because of the unacceptable problems this guitar has. // 4

Overall Impression: The styles of music I play are of a very wide range and they include metal, fusion, jazz, rock, weird music. I have been playing for 7 years and I've already mentioned the guitar I own other than this. After owning this guitar for three years, I regretted it every step of the way. If it were lost or stolen I would be upset about the losing the money and but I would be glad to rid of the guitar. The dimebucker does have high output but it's just too muddy to be used in fast metal riffs in a band without getting lost in the mix. Out of all my guitars, this is the worst in terms of reliability and a little in terms of sound maybe only a little better than the copy guitars I bought as a noob... My overall impression of this guitar, as in how I feel about it now is 5 out of 10. // 5

Dime-O-Flame Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2011

Price paid: A$ 1900

Purchased from: Venue

Features: I believe this model is from 2008 and made in Korea. 22 frets. Licensed Floyd Rose Tremelo. I bought it last year when Venue were still around. Given that I paid as much as I did for it I would have liked it to have an official Floyd, especially considering some far cheaper guitars are coming with official Floyds these days. The funny thing was I picked up the Dimebolt first and noticed it was made in China. I played it and it was quite literally the absolute worst guitar I've ever played in my life, barr none, so I disregarded buying a Dime. Then I looked at the flame version (right next to it in Venue Music) and noticed it was made in Korea and played it to see the difference... Whoa. It was the BEST guitar I'd played in my life. Which actually worries me. What is Dean doing with their quality checks? There should be no reason 2 identical guitars from the factory (save paintjob and country) should play soooo differently. // 7

Sound: I play metal and this is a metal guitar, no doubt. The neck pickups also offer a surprisingly warm sound and very passable for clean sounds, but metal is where it excels. It doesn't have much bass to it, but has a great treble sound, similar to Dime (obviously) or some old hair bands who relied on a more bitey sound, which is exactly what I'm after. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was setup very well at the factory with the lowest action I've ever seen in my 20+ years of playing guitar. Didn't even have any fret buzz. However, it has one (to me) massive issue with it... When I fingertap or pull off the string a lot of the time the high E will drop off the fretboard (normal) and then get stuck under either of 4-5 frets. I've even done divebombs where the strings have slacked then got stuck under the frets. To me this is pretty much unacceptable for a guitar of this cost, whixh also brings me back to Dean's quality checking process. Not to mention it comes with a licensed Floyd. To me this comes across as a massive slap in the face for people paying so much for a guitar. For the fret problem I have to ship it back to Dean (at my own charge) to fix, or pay someone $190 locally to fix it. Add this to an already overpriced guitar and it's not good. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is incredibly light, it's literally the lightest guitar I've played. I've read reviews saying its also the heaviest they've played weight-wise and I don't know which version they were playing. I wouldn't gig with this guitar until the fret problem is fixed up, or else it could be a little embarassing to say the least when you divebomb and all the audience hears when you pull back up is "tink... tink... snap". // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is still this is the best guitar I've played in my life in regards to playability, action, sound, looks etc it's just a shame it has the fret flaws and the licensed trem. You just can't help but feel Dean are simply shipping these out as fast as possible just so they can make money off Dime's death. I know if Dime were to try this guitar he'd say "bro, take it back and do it again". Good guitar, but flawed, given the flaws I'd say it was hugely overpriced. Good to play, just don't divebomb or pull off the high E. // 7

Dime-O-Flame Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2012

Features: Well, here we have a Dean Dime-O-Flame, a Korean built Dean ML with a fancy finish and some HOT features. (Pardon the pun) Built as part of Dean's seemingly endless range of Dimebag inspired/tribute guitars, the main difference between this one and a lot of the others is that this thing ain't no toy. Korean made, set-neck construction with a mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard and mother-of-pearl inlays. Grover tuners and a rock-solid Licensed Floyd Rose keep everything in tune, and the Dimebucker in the bridge position is (in my humble opinion) the holy grail of passive pickups. 2 volume knobs, one tone knob and a three-way Les Paul style switch complete the control configuration. Worth mentioning are the "traction knobs" which allow for faster, more accurate manipulation. If I had my way, this guitar would come with an Original Floyd Rose, but at this price range and as far as Licensed models go, this one is really very nice. If it's this style of guitar you're after, it has pretty much everything you'd be after. Admittedly the finish is a sticker rather than a paintjob, but for a finish of that complexity you'd be paying Custom Shop prices, so I'm not gonna deduct points for it. In an ideal world this guitar would have a Seymour Duncan '59 at the neck and an OFR, but at this price range we aren't going to argue. Extra points however are awarded for the simply submlime V-profile neck which is the perfect compromise between shreddy flatness and enough neck to dig in to for those grit-your-teeth-and-riff-like-hell moments. Also notable is the clever weight distribution in this guitar, despite it's intimidating size even a little guy like me (I'm only 5'7") won; t find it unwieldy. It; s a very comfortable guitar to play. // 8

Sound: As far as sound goes, this guitar rocks and rocks hard. The neck pickup is perfectly adequate and is capable of some warm clean tones, and when distorted, makes a decent crunch. However, if it's sound you're talking, it's the almighty SH-13 Dimebucker in the bridge that you're here to see. Searing, seething leads, jackhammer rhythm tones and pinch harmonics that could bend steel. The Dimebucker works PERFECTLY in a guitar of this mass and weight, giving huge sustain and massive textural depth to the biting, high-output tone inherent to the pickup. Loud, angry and aggressive, it gives some of the heaviest, tightest distorted tones you'll encounter. Also worth a mention is the clean tone from the Dimebucker. Roll off a (very) little volume and apply a pinch of chorus, and you'll have the warmest, most beautiful clean tone you'll ever hear. Out of all my guitars and pickup configurations, this is my favourite for cleans. The neck pickup is a little dull by comparison to the DB, simply because the DB is SO incredible, but in it's own right the neck pickup ain't half bad and through a decent amp is capable of some surprisingly hefty rhythm tones. (For reference, my live rig is a Diamond Nitrox 100 head and matching cab, and for doodling at home I use a small Marshall Valvestate combo. The only pedals I use are a tuner, a TS9 Tubescreamer for a lead boost and a wah for expression when needed). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this off a friend as a swap, so when I got it it needed a little TLC. I re-balanced the Floyd, dropped the action (more on that later) and raised the pickups and she was good to go. Everything was as it should be and solidly built. No flaws or failings, which would be expected from a guitar inspired by Dime, who wasn't exactly the lightest of touches on his instruments! The action. Good grief. After rebalancing the FR, I dropped the bridge unit lower the action and currently have it sitting at under 1mm (.10-.46 strings, tuned to Eb) and there's not so much as a hint of fret buzz. One of the smoothest, fastest actions I've ever played. I find myself able to play stuff on this guitar that I can normally only play on my JRR94 Concept, which has the flattest neck known to man or beast. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ups and down here, but ups where it counts and only superficial downs. The lacquered-over sticker is prone to chipping/pockmarking and the back is quite susceptible to buckle-rash. However, I'm the kind of guitarist that LIKES his instruments a little battle-scarred, so to me this isnt a bad thing. (All gigging guitars should look like they've been through the wars a little, pristine instruments are the sole preserve of middle-aged bank clerks at open mic jams.) However, for all that the finish is a little accident-prone, where it counts, this guitar is bomb-proof. The construction is rock solid, the hardware is all clearly built to last, and provided you look after it reasonably well this baby will always have your back. I've been forced to play this guitar without a backup before (due to a logistical failure during a tour, my other two touring guitars were unavailable to me for four consecutive shows) and would happily do so again if I had to. Though admittedly, given the choice I would never play a FR equipped guitar without a back-up, for obvious reasons. So, points lost due to the finish not being the hardest wearing, points gained for this thing being tougher than Rocky where it counts. // 7

Overall Impression: I play in an active band, we play metal/metalcore. For me this guitar is perfect, both for the style of music I play and the fact that I've been a huge Dimebag fan since his "Power Metal" days. I've been playing for ten years and gigging for eight, and this guitar is definitely up there amongst my favourites in my collection. It's the first Dean I've ever owned (I'm a Jackson or Gibson guy by choice, two of each making up my current touring arsenal along with this beast) and I took a chance on it after being recommended it by a good friend of mine who's in another band. For it's price, you get a lot of guitar but it's also reliable enough to be a serious choice for enthusiastic hobbyists and active musicians alike. I'd recommend this guitar to just about anyone who plays a heavy style of music. It'd also be good for recording if you needed a super-polite clean tone, but if you play in a band that mainly uses that you may get a few strange looks pulling out this hellhound! All in all, a very good guitar. Great sounds, great reliability, and let's call a spade a spade, it looks awesome, because everyone knows flames are cool. If you want to stand out both aesthetically and sonically, you could do a lot worse than this brute. // 8

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014