EVO X Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 11/02/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: EVO X
Basswood Body. Die Cast Tuners. Chrome Hardware. 2 Humbucker Pickups. Tune-O-Matic Bridge. Bolt-on Construction. Maple Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. Dot Inlays. 22 Frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 Features: 7.7
 7.2
 8.1
 6.3
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
EVO X Reviewed by: animike123, on april 06, 2004

Features: This guitar was made in Korea has 22 Frets, It is a Solid-Top, It has a Volume, tone, and 3-way Toggle witch, It has 2 Dean Humbucker Pickups, Active Electronics, It is a solid Black Color, it has a Bulge body style, It has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge with Non-Locking Tuners, It has a Maple Neck. // 8

Sound: I play Classic Rock/Metal, and this guitar does a very good job of Handling it. It was my first Electric Guitar and I've had it for almost 2 years. I'm Using it with a Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 Half stack and Flanger, Wah, and heavy distortion. The Pickups it has in it (Dean) sound very bassy to me, but I like it, its not a bad thing. I use all sorts of Rock/Metal techniques/Tricks and it furfills the sound completely. With the toggle Switch I can make it so it plays to very trebly sound of Nirvana soungs, or a Depp sound Sochas Metallica- One. I Like ths guitar alot, and for the Money, I think I got far more then wat I payed for it. It is my Fav guitar for Palm-Muting, cuuz of the way the Bridge is placed. My ony Complaint is the Input Jack always loosens, but it is very easy to fix by yourself. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this Guitar is very nice, I also have a Dean acoustic and it has a Brilliant action, it runs in the family. The Pickups are adjusted very well, and I Haven't had any problems with them yet. Everything about this guitar us done Properly, no complaints. The only problem I had is the Nut wasnt glued down well, but I reglued it, perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been through Hell and Back. I've beaten this guitar to Piss and it's still intact. I go Insane during shows and this Guitar hasnt let me down once. The hardware is in an average durability ratin, I had to have the toggle Switch and input jack replace, but thats all. The finish is fine, but I wacked it on a cabinet once and chipped it, but I repainted that part and its bearly noticeable. The star buttons are solid, just keep on top of tightning them. I'd put my life in this guitar, it's my baby. It's my first guitar, and I'd pick it over any $500 guitar, just because it Durable a all Hell and it's my first. I HAVE used it at a Gig w/o a backup, I only used another guitar for Drop-C tuning. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar plays anything, I play Metal, Rock, I do some Punk, I practice Jazz and Blues from my lessons, and its handled all of it. I've been playing for a little less then 2 years, and for my experiance I blow people away with my quick progression. I own a Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 Half-Stack, and an old 720 combo amp. I rarely ask other peoples opinion before buying guitar, just the facts, and I have no regrets. If this guitar was lost, I'd Flip and search the 7-seas for it. I'd buy it again but the model up this time, being I'm more experienced now. I love the Black color and the Tune-o-matic brige, cuz the Floyed Rose pisses me off. I don't hate anything about this guitar and my fav. feature is the toggle Switch on the buldge for fast switching. I compared this guitar to an Ibanez and alot of cheap Peaveys and Cort guitars alto music swore too (don't go there). I chose this one because it caught my eye and I plaayed it frequently at the store because I have my lessons there. I wish it had a dark black ebony neck, but w/e, its still amazing. I love this guitar, but it for a son/sibling/relative/friend for a first or secong guitar and they will love you for it. // 10

EVO X Reviewed by: BoyWhoCriedWolf, on february 09, 2006

Features: The model that I purchased was the 1999 model which was the Strat body shape, a good beginner guitar but if you want to shred like slash then I reccomend going with something a little better. The guitar had no lacking tuners. The tuners will real rough. It has 3 knobs including a volume tone and another tone. A 5-way selector, which is really good. // 6

Sound: It doesn't really suit a music style, it is very noisy and will need to be re-wired if you have had for over a month. The noise is dull, but it is easy to play, the problem with the easyness to play is that is rattles alot when you play in the lower frets 1, 2, 3 ect. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looks nice it has a Strat shape but the hardware rusts. The pickups suck. I have been playing the stock pickups for about a year now but then I took them off because the rust was getting to bad and I put the single coils from my Fender on them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar probably won't withstand live playing because of the faulty wiring but it is pretty dourable, the neck prett much never gets out of shape. The strap buttons are solid but I don't ever recomend playing it live. Like I said the wiring is faulty. It went out on me in the middle of a gig and I was just about ready to smash it. // 6

Overall Impression: Like I said this is bassically a good begginer guitar suitable for all-around music styles. I would much rather of gotten a Squire or a Mexican Fender but I had no other options. // 7

EVO X Reviewed by: qwikfngr, on november 02, 2007

Purchased from: Herried's Music Chico Ca.

Features: Built in 2004, in the USA(mostw Deans are, right), my EVO features a solid, single-cutaway basswood body and perfect maple neck that join at a patented, easy-to-access, bolt-on junction. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and Dean humbuckers(one in the neck, one in the bridge) controlled by a 3-way switch. The stock tuning pegs are suprisingly smooth. // 9

Sound: I paly a variety of styles and the EVO hold s up well throughout. For example; the bridge pickup, combined with the guitars huge sustain, makes for searing metal runs, yet the neck pickups creamy tone drips sweet minor reggae grooves as well. I run my Evo through a Fender FM212R and manage to get some great sounding, low-noise tones ranging from Jimi-esque to country twang, despite my deficient honky-tonk chops (oh well). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect right out of the store (partly in thanks to an expert staff at the music shop) and the pick-ups were staggerd fairly well all around, though I adjusted them to my tastes.The silver sparkle finish is smooth as ice and along with the unique bolt-on neck junction the guitar holds a sort of surfer aesthetic. The bridge was nice, as was the nut the only problem was a short in the input jack. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After changing the jack I've had no more technical problems and the guitar stays in tunee well during a performance. The strap pins hold up fine and I would certainly use it at a gig, without a backup. I do it all the time. It came witha small Fender 15G and it outlasted that so far by three years, what's that say? // 9

Overall Impression: Great. Nice sound. Solid and playable. My first impression would be that it is ugly but then you touch the amazing neck and flawless rosewood fretboard and you truly know otherwise. I love it! I'm glad I bought it over the Epiphone SG that I was looking at and I play it every day. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014