Explosion Razorback Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/12/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Explosion Razorback
The Dean Explosion Razorback electric guitar has high impact looks and puts out concussive licks. A super-snug set neck joint joins the mahogany neck and body for supreme resonance that works with the Dimebucker at the bridge to produce astounding sustain with knife-edge bite. Killer explosion graphics are complemented by a bound rosewood fretboard and black hardware, including a double-locking Floyd Rose-licensed trem.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.8
 Features: 9.8
 9.3
 9.9
 8.7
reviews (5) 74 comments vote for this gear:
Explosion Razorback Reviewed by: axman83, on february 20, 2007

Features: An amazing guitar with an amazing sound and bite. It has a licensed double locking floyd rose tremolo. It can manage great dive bombs, and awesome squeels. The one flaw I have in the whole guitar is with the tremomlo. The tremolo bar is threaded into the tremolo, instead of having that threaded cuff on it. The guitar has a Dimebucker in the bridge (of course). This has amazing bite, squeels, tone over all. The neck pick up will give a warmer bluesier tone and sounds amazing. I do use both for depending for the part of the song. The guitar has a set neck which gives it great sustain, and tone. Very fast action allow for fast solos. The explosion image and design of the guitar body looks so cool you'll find yourself fighting the urge to cranking your amp to 10. The special hardshell case that comes with it gives you the confidence to bring it on the road and not be worried about it being damaged by a careless roadie. This is a master piece dedicated to the master himself. // 10

Sound: If you are looking for a metal guitar this is it. The squeels, bite, and screams you'll get out of this will mmake you feel like an instant metal god. Both lead and rhythm needs are met with the pick ups given. I have had no problems with excess noise or static. An amazing sound to match its incredible finish. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved on my door step it was ready to go. I plugged it in, adjusted a couple of tonel features on my amp to accompany the new setup. I had zero problems with this guitar when I got it and have never had a problem with it. High gloss finish is ready for the stage or to be displayed as part of a collection. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Zero problems. I was careless with it once or twice and it got hit slightly, but it suffered no breaks, fractures, or electronical damage. It has proven itself to me as far as it's duriblity goes. I would have no problem taking this on the road. The case is great and would protect from anything else. The reliability is amazing. I take good care of it, and it doesn't let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is amazing. If you play metal like me, or just a fan Dimebag, this guitar won't disappoint you. Between all the parts that give the guitar it's amazing playability, and it's incredible show appearence make it well worth its price. It is a durable and superly aggressive guitar. I wouldn't trade it for any other guitar, especially one in the same price range. // 10

Explosion Razorback Reviewed by: LedZeppelin1505, on october 04, 2007

Features: The features on this guitar are all a metalhead like myself could ask for. The guitar was made in China, which could pose as a deterrent as for it's price you would expect a USA model, but it plays like a true USA guitar as far as I'm concerned, removing all doubt that it wouldn't handle like a proper USA model. Also the licensed Floyd Rose tremolo could pose as a bit of a problem, as one would expect an original for the price, but it performs just as good as the original, it took about 20 minutes to put in tune upon first recieving it but after that I did tons of squeals, divebombs and other whammy bar stunts and it never de-tuned. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fingerboard, the set neck gives it great sustain and the fully bound mahogony body make this a dream guitar for Dimebag fans. It comes with the legendary dimebucker neck pickup which delivers great bite and tone. My number one fault with this guitar is the neck pickup is really bad, it can deliver nice warm sounding tones at times depending on the amp setup, but if you are going to buy this guitar I would highly recommend replacing it with somehting better. It has a 3 way selector Switch and comes with locking grover machineheads. Usually this guitar comes with a case so if your buying it and not getting a case your being ripped off. The case is a Dean hard shell case and is very durable with inside padding and a compartment for other accessories. Overall, I epected a hell of a lot from this dream guitar, and it definetly exeeded these expectations by a long shot. // 10

Sound: The guitar sounds as evil and badass as everyone says it does, the dimebucker can handle crushing gain tones and killer metal sounds, almost any sound can be achieved with this great guitar if you have a half decent amp. It definetly suits my style, metal. I play songs from the likes of Iron Maiden, Trivium, Metallica and Slayer and it scares me just how close I can get to sounding like them. I play it through a Line 6 Spider 3 75 watt amp and I get killer tones everytime. I don't get any feedback at all, even at high volumes unless I'm stood holding the pickups on the amps speaker. I was suprised at the clean sounds I get too, seen as the razorback is primarily a metal guitar, the clean channels are warm and bright, and it plays cleanly and clearly. Top marks again. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I was slightly dissapointed at the factory set up at first as the action was slightly too high for my liking and the tremolo was badly off balanced, the guitar was badly out of tune and it took awhile for me to set it up to my satisfaction. I lowered the action and balanced the tremolo without much fuss however, and after doing this the guitar plays perfectly fine. Also I had to tighten the bottom strap lock as it was wobbling about like a madman. Other than that it was very good. The killer explosion finish couldnt be any better, I think there are about 5 slightly different designs on the Explosion Razorback, as some are darker and the fire is less clear and it has a lot of black gaps towards the edge of the guitar. Personally I prefer the finish I got as it is the most bright and firey version with hardly any black outlines. So after the initial setup I had to perform, this guitar plays like a dream. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank, the shape is awesome but a flaw many people find with it is that it has a tendency to bang off things when you least expect it, I myself have done this a few times, some pretty bad bangs, but the guitar doesnt't even appear scratched. the hardware is great, I can't fault that as it seems it will last forever with appropriate care. I would definetly use this at a gig without backup, I trust my razorback completely as it has never once failed on me. the finish will most certainly last as it hasn't even faded yet. // 10

Overall Impression: Like mentioned before, I play metal (sometimes classic/hard rock too) and this is renowned as the ultimate metal guitar, designed by the god of metal himself, Dimebag Darrel. So the guitar is a perfect match for my style. I have been playing around 2 and a half years now and it is by far the best guitar I have played. It delivers everything from the most evil, dark metal high gain sounds to the warmest, vibrant clean tones. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would cry a hell of alot, as it looks amazing and plays, sounds and feels like a beauty. I wanted this guitar for about 12 months before I bought it, so I expected a lot, but it gives me everything I want and it was even better than I thought. The only thing I want now to complete my metal setup is a Krank Distortus Maximus pedal then I will be content! // 10

Explosion Razorback Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2007

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: THe guitar Was Made In 2006 in The USA. Mine from what I understand is the special version of the guitar. I got 24 frets all of which are jumbo and scalloped and it's all one piece. it's a Solid body, walnut. It has the explosion finish which is beautiful. it's the Dean Dimebag Explosion Razorback. It has a genuine Floyd Rose. All active electronics. I got One Tone and two vole both volume have grip on them and I got an EMG booster Switch. There Is a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge and a EMG-81 with a booster Switch active. and I got sprezel locking tuners. and it came with a free hard case and tools. so yea the best guitar I have ever purchased and it's the most metal thing ever heard. RIP Dime. // 10

Sound: Well I play Metal and classical and it is amazing for it I have also played other styles but metal makes it Shine. I use a Zakk wylde wah pedal and a Boss-gt8 GEP and I am running it through a Marshall AVT150 Guitar Amp Full Stack. It is pretty controlled when I want it quiet it's quiet and vice versa. on the clean setting with gain at 10 bass at 10 mid at 0 treble at 10 reverb at 5. and it has a very Bright warm tone. As far as sound anything Dime did can be done as long as your skilled enough. so Pretty much anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is as close to the frets with out touching I have ever seen is so smooth makes you feel like you can do anything. pickups sound perfect. nothing wrong and everything done right. It plays so perfect Dime would rise from the grave just to play it once more. The bends on it are like a dream. It does anything your heart desires. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has for me and I am playing liveall the time with my band AVOLSIA. The hardware is tough and asking for more. well I put a straplock on it so yea. I would you it in the middle a fireball hurricane on a electrified fence. Nothings come off mine and I play shows about every night. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Murder Metal and it's perfect. I have been playing for 3 years. I own a Gibson Les paul special, Ibanez Joe Satch, B\.C\. Rich 7-string Warlock, Boss GT-8 GEP, Dunlop ZW wah, Marshall stack. If it were stolen I would pay a bounty hunter to find it.I love everything and I only hate that I am not as good as the guitar wants. I love the super recessed floyd rose. I wish it had a Fernandes sustainer too. // 10

Explosion Razorback Reviewed by: WannabeShredder, on july 21, 2007

Purchased from: West Seneca Music Center

Features: The features on the guitar are simply amazing. For being made in China, I am more than pleased with the guitar's quality. The neck is very fast, and the cutaway is deep, allowing you to reach all 22 frets for the mind bending solos. The finish on it is also excellent, great color and even at a close distance the paintjob does not look digital at all. The body is nice and light, but has wonderful sustain, and it is very warm and pleasant sounding. The liscenced Floyd Rose, as expected, is a real pain in the ass to set up, but once you have it set, just play away. It's stayed in tune ever since I changed the strings, and I've only had to tune it once. The Dimebucker in the bridge is excellent for picking up harmonic squeals, and provides an excellent distortion tone. The only dissapointing thing about it is that the neck pickup is a crappy stock pickup. For the price paid, Dean could have at least put a '59 or something similar in. But overall, I am very pleased. // 9

Sound: For metal, this is the perfect guitar, with a bone crushing crunch from the Dimebucker in the bridge. On the clean setting, the Dimebucker is very bright and trebly, perfect for upbeat clean phrases, while the neck pickup is very warm and perfect for blues. I play through a Traynor YCV80, and the tone is superb. The Dimebucker is slightly noisy, but with a high output pickup, it's expected. My Boss NS-2 takes care of the hum. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the guitar needed a lot of setup. The action was slightly high, but the strings were in tune and properly intonated. The neck pickup was too far away from the strings, but slight adjustment fixed that. As far as I can tell, there were no flaws in the guitar with the finish or hardware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is quite the beast. I always worry about banging the fins into stuff, and I do quite a bit. However, they have shown no signs of damage. The finish must be made out of clear tank armor or something to that effect. The strap buttons are nicely placed and comfortable, but if I were to play live I would definitely siwtch to straplocks for added security. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 2 years now, and this is buy far the best guitar I've ever played. I would definitely buy it again if it was stolen, but not before giving a good thorough beating to the theif. After waiting so long to get a new guitar, I'm proud to say that I've finally got my wings! // 10

Explosion Razorback Reviewed by: bigREDgrin, on february 12, 2009

Features: I got mine in 2007, it was made in the U.S. serial number is 444. it's got 22 frets 12-22 are scalloped. Solid Body. It's all Mahogany I think, all one piece except the fretboard. Explosion. Razorback. Floyd Rose double locking tremolo. Passive Electronics. Two volume, one tone, and a three way selector Switch that can also be a kill Switch. It's got L500 Bill Lawrence in the neck and a Dimebucker bridge. Sprezel Locking tuners. I got a case to fit the guitar with it along with dime Dl=L strings on it. // 10

Sound: It is amazing I mostly do metal, but I also do a lot of neo-classical and classic rock, some jazz. So for everything I use it for I find it does it all those pickups are perfect the L500 has amazing clarity and great tone. The Dimebucker is stands alone as one of the greatest passive pickups, it gives such clarity that I can hear every string when I hit big chords; even when I got tons of distortion a compressor and a equalizer set to destroy. The harmonics I can get out of it makes me feel like Dime, which is all one can ask for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: To start off the is so perfect I could have my picking arm cut off and still play like I had it. I could never do sweeps before I got this guitar. I could not have asked for better pickup position. No flaws, the only thing was that I was not used to the large body and bumped it a little but I quickly learned. I have seen three others since I bought mine they didn't have the scalloped pickups, the locking tuners and the Bill Lawrence pickup or a one piece body and neck. So I might be more lucky than usual. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It plays real well on stage if not better than at home practice as if it makes you better. Small problem is I got to let it sit out when I move it from my house to a gig or where ever but that's because of the Floyd Rose getting used to the temp and humidity. Strap buttons are perfect I got strop lock for it so there no problem. I used it everyday for over 2 months for a show and it never went out of tune, even now I have not had it tuned and it's still pitch perfect. As far as the finish goes I have bumped it pretty hard a couple of time and I can't even see the dent and it really makes a impression when you see it. // 10

Overall Impression: My style is all metal usually and it is as Dean say "The Greatest Metal Guitar Ever". I have been playing for 5 years, I got 3 other guitars Marshall amp and Boss GT-6 effects processor. No questions needed, I would die without it; it might be my life mate, needless to say I would buy it again and if I had the money I would buy another couple. I love that I can think of something and be happy with knowing I got a guitar that already does it, or hearing something on the radio and being able to play it the first time because of the guitar. Nothing I hate about it besides it not having a love hole. Favorite feature is the Dimebucker. I compared it to Kerry King V and a Gibson Explorer. I chose it because it is last word in Metal Guitar. // 10

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014