Firecrackle Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/08/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Firecrackle
It's a 1980s Dean Firecrackle with two single coil pickups and a humbucker. This guitar will be suitable for any genre.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 5.5
 6.8
 5.1
reviews (2) pictures (4) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Firecrackle Reviewed by: MAGGOTCFH, on may 04, 2012

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: It's a 1980s Dean Firecrackle with two single coil pickups and a humbucker. All 3 pickups sound good for stock pickups and I mostly use the bridge pickup. In my 16 years of playing I have to say this guitar works like a charm. It has a basswood body with 22 frets (Jumbo) with a string thru whammy bridge. The guitar has grover tuners on it and it seems to hold in tune well. I went a whole month without having to tune it! The guitar was made in Korea in the late 80s. I got the guitar with a gig bag and a cable with a nice whammy bar even though I don't use them much unless its a floyd rose. One pickup (bridge) was buzzing when I got it but I ended up fixing the grounded wire and there was no more buzz. // 8

Sound: I play it through a Line 6 Spider 30 and sometimes my Line 6 Spider 15. It sounds real good through these amps like they were made for each other. I play metal and this guitar can really nail it down. I tuned the guitar in drop tunings like C, D and even down to A without any sound problems. The guitar can get real loud and the tone knob will go too a really bright sound to a far beyond driven sound from hell. The stock pickups sound great but I am really thinking of putting some EMGs in there. If not I might put in some Bill Lawrence pickups. This guitar can handle blues music as well as a classic rockish sound like Van Halen or Kiss. I played Running with the devil on it and it couldn't sound better. If I were a beginner I would get this guitar. Its perfect for any level of guitar playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was at a perfect height, whoever owned it before was good at setting it up. The pickups are at an comfortable height but you can't take the pickup to a low level because the adjustment screw is a little on the small side but it holds the pick up very well. The finish is a white and black firecrackle finish and it will bring many wows. The only problem was that the strap button was loose but that was fixed right away. Also the ground wire needed some soldering which was not a very big problem which I fixed. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing and the hardware has lasted since the 80s so I'm sure it will last alot longer. As I said the strap button neede to be tightend but that was easily solved. I would use it without a back up but my band uses two different tunings so I would usually have another guitar in the back in case I need it. The finish looks like it will never come off. But if you don't take care of it it will. This guitar will be my main axe for shows especially since I'm getting emgs for it. I might also get a floyd rose along the way. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and they match like twins. This guitar will be suitable for any genre. Maybe not country... But I don't play that stuff. I compared it to my Jackson King V and I really did not stand a chance to this Dean Firecrackle. If it were lost I would try to find it because the guitar is rare. If not I would get a Dean ML with a floyd rose. I love everything about it. The only thing I hate about it is that the guitar is adddicting and I can't put it down (hehe). I compared it to my Ibanez GIO and the GIO failed to compete. // 10

Firecrackle Reviewed by: Grungemetalrule, on february 08, 2013

Purchased from: Pawn shop

Features: This guitar was made in 1990, in China, The guitar has 22 frets and little of a fat neck, but not too fat. The body seems to be made out of basswood, but I am not 100 percent sure on that. The painted finish doesn't chip easily as I expected it to, for a 20 year old guitar, I expected it to chip cause of the way the paint is. The pickups are regular stock Dean Pickups which I wouldn't recommend for a professional who is searching for great that professional sound, since these pickups seemed to buzz alot for me until I changed them. The only controls on here are the usual pickup selector and the Volume and tone knob, which were loose when I got it. The stock tuners do a moderate job of keeping the guitar in tune. // 6

Sound: I play in a grunge inspired band, and don't really play metal as much as I use to, which is why I bought this guitar. It has a great metal sound, but the bridge pickup can buzz from time to time. A friend of mine had the same guitar but it didn't have this problem. I used it with my Mesa Boogie amp and it sounds alright, (I wouldn't say perfect for metal). The guitar is very noisy when you use the bridge pickup. This Pickup has been buzzing and bugging me before I but a EMG in there. I would recommend a pickup change, if your serious about clear sound, but sometimes that can cost more than the guitar, but like I said it could just be mine sense my friends doesn't buzz. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: This Guitar is about 20 years old so I can't tell you how it was set up in the factory. The finish is a nice mixture of colors, which looks like it would chip easily but doesn't chip much at all, I'd admit I am clumsy and always drop my guitars, I am one of those guys, and the finish looks like it can last a good while. The bridge's whammy bar set up is a little annoying tho. If you use the whammy for a short while and your guitar is already out of tune. If you like to use whammy them I wouldn't recommend this guitar at all to you, cause of the frustration of re-tuning every time. // 5

Reliability & Durability: For live playing, if the pickups don't buzz then you will be fine. I had buzzing pickups and I changed the bridge pickup with an EMG I hadn't used for a while. I would not use it at a gig without a backup, The pickups will mess up on you eventually. The strap buttons are very solid. The finish looks like it will last a very long time, that's if you take care of it of course. The Nut needs to be replaced cause its been giving me problems since day one too. I would not play on stage with this thing if it had the stock pickups still. // 6

Overall Impression: I play thrash Metal on this thing and it fits well. This sounds alright with my Mesa Boogie but it can sound better... alot better. If it were stolen I would care because of the EMG I put in it. But the guitar isn't really worth that much anyway in tone and sound. I would compare it to my Dean ML, and say that the ml is a way better guitar when it comes to sound. This guitar has good looks but an okay sound, but that all depends on what amp you are using of course. I played it through a Marshall at guitar center and it sounded way better than it did on my Mesa Boogie. // 5

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Razorback V 255 9.3 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014