Flying V Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/02/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Dean: Flying V
It has 2 pickups (treble and rythem) and two humbuckers, an auto drop-D button, laminated-top body with 22 frets. The finish is a flameburst. The controls given are, two volume, and two tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 7.8
reviews (6) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Flying V Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2004

Purchased from: Arbutus Music

Features: This guitar has some awesome features. It has 2 pickups (treble and rythem) and two humbuckers. It has an auto drop-D button on it which helps alot becuase I play alot of Billy Talent and three days grace. It is a laminated-top body with 22 frets. The guitar is about 2 years old. The finish is a flameburst. The controls given are, two volume, and two tone. // 8

Sound: The guitar suits me perfectly. I have played Gibson 61 SG reissues and I still like this guitar more. The style can be either heavy, clean and lite, or basically anything you want. Using the tone controls you can make it sound anything you want, its awesome. I use a Marhsall Halfstack and Arion effect pedal (Chorus,O.D., Distortion). The guitar also has awesome harmonics for an electric. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The gutiar is the best I have ever played. The guitar has no flaws. The action was absolutley flawless. It looks awesome on stage with my band. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has fallen off freezers, fallen off my bed, and I only have 1 scratch on it. This is one relentless guitar. I play the guitat about 1 hour everyday exept when i have band practises, I play for 2-4 hours. I have done this for two years and none of the finish has commen off. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar looks great, sounds great, is tough and it suits my kind of music. If it were stolen id definatley buy another. It is an awesome guitar! It is way better than any Gibson or Fender guitar I have ever played. Don't spend 3000$ on a Les Paul or SG. Get one of these! // 10

Flying V Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2006

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: This guitar doesnt have much for features but it doesnt really need them. it came with a stock string through body system but I had it converted to a floyd rose w/whammy bar. It has two volume and one control, and stock Dean High output pickups. It is made of basswood and has a laminated top. The neck is super fast, which is great for players like me. // 7

Sound: The sound on this guitar is the main reason I bought it. I play through a 1966 Kustom 150 watt head and a Behringer BG412F. For effects I use a DigiTech Death Metal and a dunlop Zakk Wylde singature crybaby. The clean sound on the bridge pickup is very bright. It sounds alot like the clean sound in ride by the vines. The clean on the neck pickup is extremly warm and jazzy. The distortion on the bridge pickup is lethal. It has screaming highs and thumpy lows. It doesnt have much for mids though. It has an extremly metallica sounding tone. The Distortion on the nbeck pickup is horrible. It gets really muddy and sick. But then again if your turn the volume nob down a bit the tone cleans up nicely and gives a nice bluesy solo tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing. It is super low but not low enough to hit the pickups or fret thingys. It is easy to make huge bends on. The front pickup was adjusted to use distortion but the rythem was kinda well, messed up. The guitar besides the rhythm pickup had no flaws that I saw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last for my life. I've had it for 5 years and it only had a few nicks and scratches. Haven't had to change the pickups or anything like that. The strap buttons on it are extremly durable, they have never come losse and the lectronics are all original. I use this for every gig without a backup and it has never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: If it was stolen or lost, I would get it again definatly. My favourite feature was the clean and distorted lead tone. It is amazing. Only thing I didn't like is that I had to spend the money for the whammy bar. // 9

Flying V Reviewed by: Shredder Guitar, on april 16, 2007

Purchased from: West Music

Features: This guitar is a 1979 reissue. These reissues were made in the early '00s I believe. USA made too, I think. It has 22 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard with a set neck. It has cream colored binding on the edges, and a string thru with Tune-O-Matic bridge though a "V" shaped tailpiece. It has one volume and two tone knobs. Mine has stock Dean pickups, which are really good for classic metal and rock. It has a 3-way Switch. You can get a very bluesy sound out of the neck pickup as well. It has an enlarged headstock (like the specs on the originaly 1979 guitar) and grover tuners. // 10

Sound: Well I play some thrash like Slayer and Metallica but I also play classic rock like Pink Floyd and a little bit of punk as well. I love the sheer versatility of tones you can get with the simple set up of this guitar. Simply amazing. It sounds awesome on high gain settings, and doesnt't buzz or hum very much at all. I'm using it through a tiny Fender 15w amp, but that'll change soon. This guitar can make that tiny p.o.s. sound incredible. The simple set up is easy to get used to and it more versatile than any other guitar I've played. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where this guitar shines the most. Good god, the second I saw this in the shop, I knew this was the one. The bright, brazilia-burst finish caught my eye right away. The back and neck of this guitar are a rich, deep, crimson/cherry color. The neck is incredibly fast and easy to do solos on, anything from slide to shred. The pickups were set up perfectly, as I knew the guy at the shop and he made sure to keep them in top notch adjustments. No flaws what'soever, except a small ding on the bottom of the lower body wing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, I haven't actually played Live yet. But, from what I've seen of this guitar so far, I know it would withstand a considerable amount of beating. I've actually dropped this from about 3 feet up by accident and nothing was scratched or anything. I can depend on this No Doubt. Casual playing is awesome. The only downside is the strap buttons. I have yet to buy some strap locks. The buttons are fairly large, but very short. The strap constantly comes off. that's my only gripe however, this guitar is built to last. Very high quality. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year now. I'm self taught and this guitar is a good guitar. Not just for relatively new players like myself but also veteran players. I also have a Fender Starcaster (which is like a fat Strat) and this guitar owns that one. Nothing is wrong with this guitar, I simply love it. And yes, if it were stolen, I'd grab a large club and go on an insane rampage and hunt down the sorry bastard Who stole it. Enough said, this guitar is incredible. I high recommend it to any level of experienced guitar players out there. A truly great guitar. // 10

Flying V Reviewed by: proshot1, on october 29, 2005

Purchased from: The Musical Instrument Megastore

Features: I recieved my chinese built Dean VX on my 14th birthday, and was astonished by the sheer quality and amount of features included. Built out of basswood, to a 24-3/4" scale and a 1-11/16" nut, it has 22 frets on the rosewood fingerboard, backed by a maple neck (bolt on). The neck and bridge humbuckers looked great, as did the stock treble, bass and volume knobs, coupled with the functional 3-way pickup selector Switch. The bridge was a Tune-O-Matic, with strings going through the body, and very stylish in a chrome finish. The finish was transparent braziliaburst, and went well with the rest of the colours. The tuners, stock, work very well and the guitar stays in tune for weeks on end, and the legendary Dean head is icing to this fantastic guitar. The pickups were stock, labelled with Dean, and again went well with the rest of the guitar. The controls are easy to use and are precise, and my guitar came with a cable and a "Dean quality check" signed by a guy named Paul. I would have liked to have seen thorough cleaning and polishing on the Switch selector though, which is a bit dull, but thats only minor, and my only complaint. // 9

Sound: This guitar really can do anything, although I was surprised by the bright clean sound it put out! The stock pickups are surprisingly good, clear and just generally great! Not to worry though, put through my Daphon overdrive it turned into a beast! The tone is so clear, even at extreme distortion levels. When put through my Zoom 505 MK. II, the guitars real potentional was unleashed, although I'm still struggling to find a really metal tone! I think I need a better effects set up! I didn't expect much from a basswood body, with stock pickups, but this astounds me! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived perfectly, I could play it straight away! It was even in tune! The pickups were fine, they didn't need any adjusting, like the rest of the guitar. Most of the gear had a cellophane layer, to keep of grime, which was useful, seeing as it had come all the way from China, to America, then to England! Everything was routed perfectly, and as I've said, nothing needed to be adjusted. My only complaint about this section was about how new it was, when changing strings to Ernie Ball Slinky-Heavies, white powder came out with the strings, still, only another minor flaw (if you can even call it that). The guitar fits incredibly, it has so much balance, anyone can play it, I've even devised a way to play it on your knee! I have become a pointy guitar convert, and hope you will too! Its easy to play too, with total neck access, from any position, and it looks low-slung at any strap length, an advantage I didn't have with my old Strat. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is incredible. It's strong, light and durable. The strap buttons will not come off. Ever. I bet you a fiver they won't! I've already gigged ith this, and I didn't think to bring any other guitars. The finish is thorough, although the gloss seems thin, but you can't really tell. Keep it polished and it will last forver! // 10

Overall Impression: I play a huge range of guitar, though I focus mainly on metal. The guitars clean tone really stands out among the distortion, which is excellent, it's sharp and no way muddy. I've been playing for 4 months (don't stop reading), and I've been told I'm amazing, and I think I know my stuff! I own 4 other guitars, a Strat (model unknown), a Gibson ES335 copy, a Harmony acoustic and a lil spanish guitar, so this was the metal revival I was looking for! There was nothing I wished id asked, it was all a pleasant surprise! If this guitar was stolen, I'd cry, because I love it so much, so I would definitely get another one. I love the finish, and the abilty to customize it so easily, i.e. the knobs are speed knobs, and will come off with a tug (they are meant to). I don't like like the country that I got it from? China sounds so cheap, I dont think they should have put "Made In China" on the back of the headstock, which I promptly covered up with a pick holder. I compared it to more expensive Jacksons, Fenders, ESPs and even Gibsons, but the Dean stood out to me simply because it rocks so hard, and its not very common! It was also the nicest guitar I had tried, it fit well, too well, I was suspicious of it, and the finish was the thing that made me want it so badly! Other guitars dont have that kind of quality for so little. I wish it had a floyd rose, but the inverted V is so cool, I might take that back. I beleive they did have a VX T model but Dean discontinued it. Overall, this is simply incredible, you won't be dissapointed by it! // 10

Flying V Reviewed by: Zapht, on january 09, 2008

Purchased from: (Gift)

Sound: With the Right settings this guitar is capable of producing the Crushing sounds of Rammstein, to the Higher Toned Sounds of Static-X. The Dean Mustaine pruduces almost no whines or anything when plugged into your amp and left there. This guitar is best suited for all types of metal but not for anything any less harcore than industrial. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is great! there are almost no flaws whatsoever. With the Bridge pickup you get a very nice crushing sound but at the neck pickup you get a nice high distorted tone. The wood is great quality and very durable. The controls are loose enough that you can adjust them easily while playing if you have to but not so loose that they will come completely out of their setting when bumped. The only flaws that I found were that the controls don't have labels on them or number dials, and there's no whammy-bar screw. Other than that this is one well built axe! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be great for either Live playing or practicing. It has a nice slick and strong body and stayes in tune quite well. It's pretty big to be practicing with in a small room but out on the stage this beauty will withstand any riff, verse, or solo you play on it. // 9

Overall Impression: Yeh this guitar ain't perfect but it's pretty damn close! While having a nice, sleek, sharp looking body for live playing it can deliver a wide range of sounds and tones within itself. It is very comfortable (for a Flying V) as a lot of V's aren't great for playing like. This one is! This Guitar is the perfect fit for if your going to play a song with a deep main riff sound but then go into a high fast solo part-way through the song. Seriously, the sound difference between the different bridges is awesome! You will be able to play a very large range of songs with this guitar. Had tragedy struck, and my Dean stolen, I would definetly buy it again, unless Razorbacks went on sale. Anyways, I highly recommend this to anyone getting their first V, or anyone in need of a stage guitar! I however don't recommend this be your first guitar seeing as how it's $300 and a pretty advanced guitar. // 9

Flying V Reviewed by: pilgrimevan, on february 02, 2008

Features: The features on this guitar were that it was ade in 2007 in china. Dual humbuckers, 23 frets, sunburst finish. Did not come with case or anything, just the guitar (and a truss rod) The nice V shape on the body and the headstock is cool. It was lacking in this department but I feel satisfied that I got it so cheap. // 7

Sound: For a foriegn guitar it sounds delicious. It has a pretty good range but it ain't no Les Paul. It could be the amp that I play it on, but you never know. I play a lot of Metal and Rock and it does well with the solo's but not too well on the rythym parts. It has a brighter sound than I like, but it's better than my Squier Strat. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good, I just had to tune it and skrew around with the tone knobs for a while. I haven't had to touch the pickups because I'm afraid I'll ruin the awesome-ness. Not a single flaw out of the box. Just had to tune it. The fretboard is really easy to play on. Of course the only problem is that you HAVE to stand with this guitar, making it really hard to play. Beautiful finish and wouldn't trade it for anything but another color, maybe. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Everything on this guitar is like titanium. It's withstood it's fair share of bumps and doesn't even have a knick in it. The finish is delicious. I would not only go on stage without a backup, this is my number one guitar. The only way I would bring a packup is maybe to get a different tone would be so that I could get a different tone, which I'm in to. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and it matches the Kirk Hammet style of a backup guitar. If someone else in the band that you play in has a really metal guitar than this is its awesome counterpart. I've been playing for 3 years, the only other guitar I own is my Squier Strat. I wished I had played on an amp that was the actual size I play with(Rookie Mistake) If it was stolen I would look for for a while but would probably get a new guitar(probably something I can sit with). I love it's sweet tone but it goes way too far on that account. The best feature is the fretboard, which if at all posible I would love to keep, no matter what. Compared to your casual guitars this ones definatly on the down low, and is waiting for someone to make it theirs. I chose this guitar purely because I had a low budget, this is the best thing you can have for that low of a price. If this just would have had a lower tone it would have been perfect. // 9

More Dean reviews rating category latest review
+ Exotica 8.6 Acoustic Guitars 05/30/2014